Thursday, April 28, 2011

Here and There



Heh.  Apropos o' that... Fox News has preempted Red Eye for three days of recycled royal wedding coverage... stuff that ran earlier in their programming day and re-runs to fill space... beginning Tuesday and ending tonight.  As if anyone in these United States gave a Big Rat's Ass, especially at 0300 hrs (ET).  They are VERY close to bein' added to my ever-growing Midnite Firebombing list.

―:☺:―

We spent a few hours in The Big(ger) City™ yesterday, the main purpose bein' yet another follow-up after eye surgery, and I'm happy to report everything is cool. I also took the opportunity to ask Dr. Simnacher's wonderful staff to adjust my reading glasses, which they did.  The large and irritating red spot on the bridge of my nose... not unlike that found on Jupiter... is receding as we speak.  One more word o' praise: I was early for my appointment yesterday... way-early, as in an hour, seein' as how I completed the other errands on my list in less than half the time I allotted for them... so I inquired if the good doctor "could fit me in now?"  "Why, certainly!" was the answer.  I was done and out the door 15 minutes before I was actually supposed to be there as a result and ya gotta love that.

We then traipsed over to Red Lobster and played our Senior Citizen card, sitting down to dinner just after 1600 hrs.  There was a time when I wouldn't have been caught dead in a Red Lobster, but that was when I lived on one or the other coasts... including the Great Lakes coast of Michigan... and wonderful, established, and locally-owned seafood establishments were in abundance (brief aside: and one of the few things I dearly miss about SFO).  That ain't so here in flyover country... so When In Rome...

I was pleased.  I left stuffed to the gills (heh) with a fresh, high-quality salad dressed with excellent balsamic vinaigrette; tasty and succulent lobster tail, shrimp, scallops, rice pilaf, and a baked potato; washed it down with a Sammy Adams Boston Lager; and topped off the whole affair off with a quite good and generous slice o' cheesecake awash in freshly-cut strawberries.

My only complaint?  My over-attentive server, who sat down opposite me in my booth at one point and casually inquired "Whatcha readin'?"  I know the young man was just tryin' to be friendly, but still... there is a bright line where service is concerned.  I want you to be my waiter, not my buddy.  OTOH, if you happen to be a Sweet Young Thang with a bright smile and other physical endowments you can sit down and bother me all ya want.  Double standard?  Sexist?  You bet.

―:☺:―

Your hockey update:  B's in, Flightless Birds out I watched all of the Boston game and the last period of the Bolts game (Thanks, Versus.  I hate you.).  Game One of the semi-finals in Vancouver tonight.  Go Preds!

9 comments:

  1. That cartoon has my approval.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have that "go Preds" thing in common. Strongly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morgan: That's good to know. ;-)

    Andy: We'll root for the Preds until the next round, when they face the Wings in the WCF.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tried to do a strikeout thing to change Wings to Sharks, but blogger liked neither my "s" nor my "strike." What, then, is the secret?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The secret is Blogger comments won't take "strike" as acceptable HTML. But the REAL answer is the Sharts don't even have the proverbial snowball's chance of advancing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "...won't take "strike" as acceptable HTML..."

    One of my pet peeves about Blogger. But then ya get what ya pay for...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Free is good, Skip. With all its limitations...

    ReplyDelete
  8. OTOH, if you happen to be a Sweet Young Thang with a bright smile and other physical endowments you can sit down and bother me all ya want. Double standard? Sexist? You bet.

    My Sentiments, Exactly!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.