Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The End of an Era?


My Buddy Lee in Oregon (that's him up top) called a couple o' days ago to let me know he'd be in my neck o' the woods around the end of this month and would be droppin' in for a visit.  It seems like he won an e-Bay bid on a spiffy limited edition Duck... said Duck bein' in Fort Worth, Texas... and he planned to pick it up the end of this month and ride it back to Oregon, by way of P-Ville.  Which is verrah cool, sein' as how Lee and I haven't had a few beers together in almost exactly five years.

But stuff happens.  Lee called the next day and told me the deal fell through, which is a longish story about which I'll spare ya the details, Gentle Reader.  It came to pass that I suggested he should consider buying Miss Zukiko instead, what with she bein' sumthin' of a Poor Man's Ducati and one whole HELLUVA lot cheaper than an SR4S Tricolore.  Well, one thing led to another and it looks like I've sold Miss Zukiko into bondage, the bondage bein' of a consensual and pleasurable sort, of course.

We do have mixed emotions about all this. As I told Lee (excerpts from a recent e-mail):
I feel like one of those heroines in a cheesy romance novel: "Lee!  This is all SO sudden!"

I say that coz I have VERY mixed emotions about selling the bike.  It's been a long, long time since I've been bike-less and you know that "rider" makes up more than a little bit of my personality.  I'm having a hard time letting go.  But I suppose it's time and it makes sense to give Miss Zukiko up to someone who will actually RIDE her... not just pull her cover off, wash her, and stare at her while she dries.  Hell, I never even took her on a decent road trip, so it's not like we made any lasting memories or anything. 


[...]
I think I'll keep my leathers.  You may think I'm weird, but I just MIGHT buy a Can-Am Spyder RS.  I didn't quit riding Miss Zukiko because I don't LIKE riding, I quit riding her because I don't have enough breath to horse her around and the sporting riding position is just too damned hard on my old bod, specifically my wrists and (what's left of) my forearms.  The Spyder has a reverse gear, yanno?  And wouldn't I look cool on one?  Much better than those geezers on Gold Wing trikes, methinks.
So that's the story.  It remains to be seen if I'll actually pull the trigger on one of those Can-Ams... but I HAVE been thinkin' about 'em for a whileI'll repost that vid:


So it may be the end of an era... but it might could be the beginning of another one.  Or mebbe I'll just buy a new Miata.  Decisions, decisions.

11 comments:

  1. Isn't it great when ya sell your much loved car/bike to a friend? Both parties get the benefit of knowing the history and in this case you can still keep up with the future.

    Those Can-Am things seem like a real cool compromise. I'm sure you can corner much better and quicker with two wheels on the front!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been seeing those Spyders all over the playoff commercials. Don't really know what I think of 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or you could get a Miata and take one wheel off. It'd be like a Can-Am with a roof - for those windy days.

    Sorry. That was stupid but it was all I could think of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The other day I helped a guy straighten up his Hawg. Well, actually another guy and I helped him. It was probably a good thing he didn't lay it all the way down before we got to him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darryl: You're correct, especially in this particular case. Lee and I go waaay back and I KNOW he'll treat the bike well.

    Andy: I'll reserve opinion until I've actually ridden one, but I like the concept.

    Inno: Yeah... sorta lame. But you DID make me grin.

    Skip: Pickin' up a Harrrrley usually requires two men and a boy. I don't like 'em much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good when things work out so well between friends. And good to have ... choices. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Hell, I never even took her on a decent road trip"

    Your US-550/I-84 trip was decent. One I've done, so I know. Is that something I'm manufacturing in my memory? I thought you did it. I could search your archives, but on dialup it's too slow.

    Anyway, the Cobalt Cheval shall live on in your wetspace archives. All this stuff does, like my memories of my '84 Interstate. (Ahem-- I was twenty-two when I laid it down-- not just for geezers).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've certainly loved some of our past vehicles and still miss them. Miss Z. will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Buck, a couple of Docs at work ride those backards trikes. They do look really cool.

    Not as cool as a convertible (at least to the non biker types like myself), but probably a good compromise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your US-550/I-84 trip was decent. One I've done, so I know. Is that something I'm manufacturing in my memory?

    I did US 550 on the return leg from Utah, but that whole trip was on the 'Zuki, not Miss Z. The furthest I've been on Miss Z is short blasts into Tejas and down to Roswell, once.

    Lou: Miss Zukiko will indeed be missed.

    Andy: The thing about bikes I'll miss is the sheer exhilaration ya get from riding. You have to spend a whole HELLUVA lot on a car to get that same feeling... a lot more than I have at my disposal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kris: Yeah... options are NICE! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.