Sunday, May 02, 2010

Interesting

I've been seeing lotsa ads for this lil thing lately:



I have to admit I'm intrigued by the Spyder.  I've always admired sidecar rigs and most especially those of the BMW variety.  The Spyder reminds me of sidecar rigs in that three-wheel way but it's different... very different.   A sidecar-equipped bike is a compromise and not something I'd ever seriously entertain owning.  They're cool looking in that eccentric sorta way and you DO meet some real characters who ride them.  Trust me on that last statement.

Back to the Spyder.  I spent an hour or two on Can-Am's web site this morning while taking my coffee.  The Spyder comes in two basic versions... sport and tourer.  It's a good looking motor-something (I hate to use the term motorcycle); in the touring configuration it sports 100 horsepower and weighs less than a thousand pounds.  The sport configuration adds six horsepower and loses about 250 pounds which would make for a sporting proposition, indeed.  Both versions come with anti-lock brakes, stability control systems, and 5-speed manual transmissions, with reverse.  A semi-auto trans is an option on both bikes.  Can-Am is certainly proud of these things... the RS starts at $16,500.00 and the RT at $21K.  A top o' the line RT will set you back $25K... and that's a pricey bike.  

I said I'm intrigued.  But I don't know if I could really see myself on one of these.  I'm still too much of a purist at heart but I'm an aging purist... and therein lies the attraction.  I'll never do a 500-mile day on Miss Zukiko but I sure could do that... and probably more... on a Spyder.  It's an interesting daydream.

17 comments:

  1. Hey -- this bike was just on -- I think it was NCIS Los Angeles. I had never seen it before and it is QUITE SPIFF!! You should get one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and to be rather skanky -- but what the hell -- heated hand grips for the rider? Excuse me, but that's why I have a guy in front of me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. re: the guy in front. I like the way ya think, Kath. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is intriguing for running errands in areas where there are few parking spots, but I'm, afraid I'd get run down by some monster truck (like the one my husband drives!) or that someone would pick it up and stash it in his trunk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If ya run into a dude who could pick up a thousand pound bike and put it in his trunk... I'd let him have it. No questions asked. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It just doesn't seem cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The guy in the Front. Good one, there, Kath.
    I like it. I go a buck forty eight last weigh in. And I have a very short inseam, about 28 inches or so. Don't have to hold anything up. And the lowest cool cruisers are very heavy.
    Three wheels, reverse and tons of storage. Where do I find 25 large?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Lou! There ya go... letting the air out o' my balloon. ;-)

    Glenn: I got rid of my last bike... the one before Miss Zukiko... for the EXACT reasons you mention. I have a 30" inseam and the seat height on the old bike was 32". As a result the damned thing kept falling over... which was NOT good. I'm glad you see the attraction of the Spyder; I feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I think I'm the the odd man out here, but...

    I've seen these things on the road, and everytime I think "WTF?".

    Don't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One point in favor is the stability factor, especially in turns.

    Best of both worlds? Could be.

    Another positive is that disabled riders can get back on to riding without having the traditional trike as the only option.

    25K is an awful lot of money.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One other thing; This Spyder uses a Rotax motor. Is this the same Rotax two cycke motor used in aviation?

    Two cycle motors are not fuel efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not a two stroke but a 998 cc V-Twin.

    ReplyDelete
  13. BR: This thing is still deep in the realm of daydreams. I didn't go far enough to locate a dealer.

    Darryl: Glenn is right, it's a four-stroke vee twin. A BIG vee twin. Two-strokes may not be fuel efficient but they sure do scream. I wish road-going two strokes were still manufactured. I owned at least five Yamaha RDs; they were my absolute FAVE road-burner.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A little late to the party here. For what it's worth - I think they are cool. I've seen them at the local burger drive-in and there is a cool-factor to them. They are cute but sexy at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I rode a Spyder at a demo, and LOVED it. Would've like to have taken it on more than an "around a few blocks of Sacramento" -- specifically, I'd like to ride it on some of CA Highway 1. Don't know if I'd ever buy one, but I wouldn't cross it off my list of possibilities.

    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=223073&l=23fd5175d1&id=580427383

    ReplyDelete
  16. I keep hearing very good things about it. Like I said, where do I find 25 large on short notice? The closest dealer is in North San Diego County.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice pic, Lori!

    Glenn: Don't be lookin' at ME for that $25K, LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.