Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Mundane. And Trivial, Too!

Is it post-holiday blahs?  Somehow or t'other I can't seem to find my Muse... perhaps she's skipped town again with my alter-ego... that formerly scintillating, world-traveling, Hell-raising, up-for-anything sorta guy that used to be me.  But is no longer, obviously.  

We continue to muck about with the mundane, as noted in the post title.  Our Big Accomplishment during the past 24 hours: we made our monthly trip over to The Big(ger) City™ for the monthly salsa re-supply run, during which time we got The Green Hornet bathed and purchased a new battery for our watch... which resolved a month-long time outage.  Or time-awareness outage.  Whatev.  Premature battery death is much better than losing my companion of 20+ years, dontcha know.  

Even with all of the foregoing excitement we remain strangely unfulfilled.  We shall attempt to resolve that by journeying out to Cannon Airplane Patch in the early afternoon to restock the liquor cabinet and hit the commissary, both activities being necessary to keep body and soul conjoined.  And we shall do so in a clean vehicle!

Speaking of vehicles... I saw an ad for a GMC Terrain last evening while watching the Fiesta Bowl and was intrigued enough to (a) read a road test of the Chevy variant and (b) actually use one of those on-line build-your-own-and-price-it-out thingies.  That, Gentle Reader, scares the bejeezus out of me.  

I've long looked down my nose at SUVs of any size and/or configuration, holding them in barely restrained contempt.  That would be LONG, even though I actually had one in my garage for a short period of time, back around 1997-8.  But said vehicle... a Dodge Durango... belonged to The Second Mrs. Pennington and not me.  As for ourselves... we reveled in our Impala SS when we wanted to drive something in the Big-Ass category and the Vette (at left; click for larger if'n you've a mind to) for all other occasions, which was most of the time.  And as all of you know... those who have been with me for a couple o' years or so... we're VERY satisfied with the nine-year relationship we've had with our current ride.  

So WHY am I even entertaining the thought of an SUV?  Does this mean I'm... gasp!... growing up?  I sure as Hell hope not...

16 comments:

  1. Ennui; Understood.

    But the advantage of a larger vehicle means that you can carry more booty, both the Class Six store variety and the cute cashier of said store.

    Check out USAA's vehicle purchase deal. It seems they can save you a bundle. (Disclaimer; I am a member, but I work for a competitor)

    I got my new V-8 GMC truck for 16K out the door. So the deals are there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you growing up? Doesn't sound like it.

    But you may want to consider running away from home. Good for the soul.

    I'd sure like to...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I DO decide to pop for a Terrain or an Equinox I'll buy it using my GM employee discount, which is substantial and probably unbeatable by anyone.

    re: running away from home. We're considering it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Winter can make the mind start doing strange things - shopping for an SUV. Maybe you'd better run away instead. And it is not even Feb. yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would beseech you not to purchase anything made by the Government Motors Corporation, but, I suspect it would fall on deaf ears, what with your substantial discount. Oh well.

    Must be the time of year. I get the blahs and feel rather unmotivated myself. It usually passes when the days start getting longer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with all... run away to Pittsburgh for a while; stay as long as you'd like. I can assure you a complete, stocked bar; plenty of Dr. Pepper and a decent music collection (most of which is yours!) to enjoy. Oh, yeah... a few grandchildren and great grandchildren to enjoy and you don't have to change a single diaper! Run! Run away I say!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you, Buck. More at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take Sam's advice...

    ReplyDelete
  9. In 1987, Husband bought me an '82 Ford Bronco with very few miles on it. I drove it for eight years, and felt every mile bone-jarring mile. Quick and nimble, it was the very cutting horse of SUVs. "Bronco" wasn't merely a catchy name. The only difference in comfort between my four wheels and four legs was a leather saddle. I share all this with you, in the event you do feel the need to acquire an SUV, an '82 Bronco is more cowboy than soccer mom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In regards to some January/New Year ennui you may be/are feeling -- sounds like Pittsburgh has the BEST answers!!!

    But January sucks anyway -- most of the time just because it does. :) It's just there to get us over December and ready for an early spring.

    In regards to vehicles -- Love my Tahoe. Comfort, comfort, comfort. Has more bells and whistles than should be allowed and I love all of them. And it looks good. I traded in my old Tahoe to get this one.

    Anybody that doesn't like SUVs, bless your heart and I'm sure your vehicle does well for you. This is what works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. BR sez: I would beseech you not to purchase anything made by the Government Motors Corporation...

    Why would you do that? I like GM products, having owned six Chevys, a Cadillac, and a SAAB. Every one of them were excellent with the sole exception of the SAAB, which I hated and which was GM only in the sense the company was owned by GM. I would still be driving my old Vette (or a new replacement model) had I not run away from home. I WANT GM to succeed and feel kinda bad about the fact I currently drive a Mazda.

    Your points about the winter blahs are well-taken, tho!

    Sam: It's just a matter of timing now, innit? Hopefully THIS month, but no later than February! I'm seriously considering driving up that way. We'll talk.

    Gordon: It's worse up your way, speaking of winter blahs...

    Anon: I will.

    Deborah: I hear ya about those old Broncos. They are MUCH different than the luxo-barge SUVs of today. So were International Scouts!

    Kath: Both SN1 and SN2 do the SUV thing, and I have had the opportunity to go cross-country in SN1's Tahoe... from Utah to Maine and back. I hear ya about the comfort and bells and whistles; the Tahoe's on-board entertainment system probably had a great deal to do with two nine year old boys living to tell the tale of that cross-country trip... and XM radio saved their parents' sanity. SUVs make sense for folks who really need what they offer. I'm just not in that category... but I need to work on a rationalization to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Let's just talk about sex and ignore big engines, Buck.

    A sex post should get you humming just right.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 'Tain't no following that comment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Daph: And therein lies the problem: it's ALL talk... in one form or another... these days. (sigh)

    Gordon: Heh. She IS a hard act to follow, isn't she? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't own any cars, but do have a few pickups and 2 SUVs around here. In the SUV department is my practical 2008 Ford Expedition. It's comfy, roomy, a few bells and whistles (DVD player, sunroof, leather). I don't love it, but it's great for when I have to haul around more than my own 4 children plus dufflebags/groceries. It handles great on snow/ice/mud too. But I wouldn't call it fun.

    However, I have to echo Deborah's sentiments with the Bronco. Mine's a '78, and the little bit I got to drive it, she's got some power behind her. I can't wait til I get the engine overhauled and some decent tires. It's my midlife crisis vehicle. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jenny: You fall into that "those who need it" category where SUVs are concerned, what with livin' on a ranch and having a boatload of kids. I can see where your Bronco is gonna be a blast, too!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.