Monday, January 04, 2010

Pretty Danged Cool

So... Fox aired highlights of this event during halftime at tonight's Fiesta Bowl (which, BTW, is a MOST entertaining... albeit somewhat surprising... game):
GLENDALE, Ariz., Jan. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Marking its 15th year as title sponsor of the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, PepsiCo's Frito-Lay division and Tostitos brand, along with the USO, today honored active military serving overseas by showcasing highlights from the first-ever "Salute the Troops Bowl" during the halftime broadcast of the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl on FOX. The "Salute the Troops Bowl" -- which put teams of former college football all-stars and active military heroes in a head-to-head flag football game in Iraq -- resulted from a partnership between the USO and the Tostitos brand to bring a one-of-a-kind college football experience to service members serving in the Persian Gulf.
As a part of the halftime broadcast, the Tostitos brand also presented the USO with a $200,000 contribution to aid the organization's continued mission of supporting U.S. troops and their families wherever they serve.
...
The first-ever "Salute the Troops Bowl," which was held at Camp Liberty in Iraq on January 1, 2010, provided troops with a complete college football bowl experience that revolved around an all-star flag football game and also included a pre-game pep rally and tailgate party. The football game put legendary college football coaches Barry Switzer and Tommy Bowden at the helm of two teams composed of former college all stars and active military heroes for a truly unique showdown.
...
The "Salute the Troops Bowl" was highlighted by an exciting passing game on both sides in front of an enthusiastic crowd ready for the full football experience. Scoring was dominated by the military players, which made for an exciting game for all at Camp Liberty. After four quarters of flag-football action, the Barry Switzer-led "Team Freedom" took home the win in a 36-8 victory over Tommy Bowden's "Team Liberty."

It goes without sayin', but I'll say it: RTWT.  Now is that cool, or what?  I'm just wondering how I missed it, seeing as how the game happened on New Year's Day.  You would think something like this would deserve a lot of media coverage, wouldn't you?  Or am I all wet?  We can count on YouTube to come through, as usual.


Great good stuff, this.

―:☺:―

Bonus:  The "Bitch o' the Day" (coupled with a Politically-Incorrect Thought)...  Memo to Fox (and other networks who give us coverage of these wonderful university marching bands):  We don't give a big rat's ass about twelve drummers drumming, huffing tuba players, clarinet tooters, and lotsa rim-o'-the-stadium shots of the band's meticulously executed formation marching.  What we really want to see are those flag girls, majorettes, and cheerleaders.  And not the 3-second "what was that?" kinda shots, either.  Up close and personal, please... long, lingering shots... and lots of 'em.  Those girls do a lot of work to prepare for these shows and are dedicated to their craft.  The least you could do is give them their due.  Thank you.  (Not that you'll pay attention.  And not that my motives are entirely altruistic and pure.)

12 comments:

  1. Buck, come on now you want the MSM to cover something fun happening in the very same place that they tried so hard to get us to fail at! They would no sooner cover that especially while "The One" is over in Hawaii. Too much to ask for.

    BT: Jimmy T sends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buck, I missed the halftime show last night. But, and, at the risk of being ugly, and showing my SEC/southern.period. homerness, from what I caught of the Boise cheering squad, I'm not sure they didn't do ya' a favor. ;)

    Man, I watched that video you posted. All 15 minutes. About 2 minutes in, I started to grin. About 4 minutes in, I started to choke up a bit. Great, good stuff is correck, my friend!

    And Boz is still a a hoss, ain't he? I had to laugh when Rocket talked about nobody flinching, except for him. Thanks. I don't often watch 15 minute videos, but I'm glad I did. It put me in a MUCH better mood this Tuesday am.

    Heh! My word verification is recall. If only...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did watch the half-time report (can't tell you what the score of the game was...) and thought it was pretty cool. It seems that some soldier on a blog reported that "a bunch of football players" had shown up at their base, and I can remember seeing pictures of Boz and Switzer, but I can't remember which blogger posted it. As for the bands, I thought TCU had much prettier and better "dancers" than Boise State.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jimmy: Yeah, I suppose you're right.

    Andy: I'm glad ya liked that. You didn't miss much when ya missed the halftime show, but it was enough to send me to google to find what I posted here. As for the Boise State cheer-girls... well, we each have our tastes. I prefer my women "substantial," with a natural sorta look... as opposed to the anorexic, overly made-up, fake-boobed "paragons of beauty" that are foisted off on us as desirable. But I DO agree with Lou, in that I thought the TCU girls were prettier on the whole. I think there's a song... several of 'em, in fact... about Texas women and their unsurpassed hotness.

    Lou: The game was one of the best o' the bowls, so far... but it was the Iraq piece that made my night. That and the cheerleaders (heh!). And... are you ready?... good on Barry Switzer. I never thought I'd type THOSE words...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta borrow this from ya, Buck. I missed the bowl game (kind of glad I did, I don't think I could have taken another trick play from Boise State).

    God Bless Barry Switzer...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Buck, I really just caught a couple of shots of the Boise gals. And, I was mostly just kidding. Mostly.

    There are very few women that are not beautiful (percentage-wise). The love of my life is (somewhat) substantial now, and I wouldn't swap her for every stick-woman-fake-boobed chick in the world.

    I'm also witcha...I never thought I'd feel really good about King Barry. Just shows to go ya'...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the vid, Staci. I just tried to replay it and got a message stating the video is "private," a real WTF? moment... if there ever was one.

    Andy: One of my (many) hot buttons is the Vogue-sensibility (the aforementioned anorexic look, yadda, yadda)when it comes to women. I'll rant on this at the drop the proverbial hat and sometimes require restraining, in the process. People who know me well probably get VERY tired of hearing it...

    I agree wholeheartedly with your "very few women are not beautiful" comment. And the ugly ones are usually ugly for internal reasons, not physical ones. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep! And, it sucks about why the vid went bad. I don't know what that means...I've never seen that before.

    Heh! Kinda reminds me of Bobby Bowden, speaking of one of his FSU stars, "He don't know the meaning of the word FEAR. Of course, he don't know the meaning of most words."

    That's pretty close to the quote.

    If you find out why the status of the video changed, please let us know...just for future reference. Later...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Geeze, Buck, I only leave the half time shows on for the marching bands (and overlays of the cheer squads). Most of these shows nowadays consist of a number of shallow thinking ex-footballers mouthing inanities and coulda's, shoulda's. The bands are a lot better and they practice far more than the skimpy clad tootsies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ya should have left your comments up, Silver. I read 'em in e-mail, anyway. So... my issue doesn't mean to take anything away from the bands, it's more a proportion issue: less band, more women. Give us an equal amount... at the very least.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.