Saturday, September 05, 2009

Tradition!

Cue up Tevye (Tradition!)... coz today marks the beginning of a long-held tradition here at El Casa Móvil De Pennington... that being the all-day college football orgy. 

On any given every Saturday from now through the end of November you can expect to find my tired old ass parked in front of the teevee... beginning around 1000 hrs and lasting well into the night... and don't expect to find it anywhere else.  I do not accept social invitations on Saturdays in the Fall... unless that invitation is specifically and explicitly to watch a game, and that game MUST be one I would normally watch.  Don't be calling me up to come over and watch Middle Tennessee State play Clemson... coz that just ain't gonna happen.


Speaking of ringing me up... it's not a good idea to even call me on Saturdays between now and the end of November... unless you want to talk about a game we're both watching in the here and now... coz I'll be busy and you will just be an interruption.  There are a few possible exceptions to the foregoing and nearly all of them involve events of a catastrophic nature, such as desperately needing bail money, transportation to the hospital emergency room, a critical need for beer (no, wait... gitcheer own damned beer!) or some other bona fide emergency. Use your judgment here.

I'm going to post a couple of re-runs in the space below... Tradition! ... but before I do there's this other piece of business we have to get out of the way:



And now... the re-runs.  All references are dated, of course.  These are re-runs.

The Rules

I missed this today before I posted, but it would have fit right in with the lead two items in this morning’s post: “Time for the new rules for college football fandom.” Samples:

1.
As a fan, you have to pick a school, one school, same as if you were filling out applications to, you know, go to school there. You may not be a fan of a conference, teams from a specific state, "West Coast football" or college football in general. Nobody is a fan of college football in general, not even Lee Corso. Nor may you root for Harvard and Yale, any more than you could matriculate at both places, unless you're really, really smart, in which case you're probably building prototype military surveillance nanobots in your MIT dorm room, and/or devising a computerized ranking system* to shame Jeff Sagarin.

1a.
Under extenuating circumstances, however, you may have up to three Division I-A rooting allegiances, so long as the schools meet the following criteria:
(a) Your birthplace/family school – especially if an inheritance is at stake, or if a campus library bears your last name.
(b) Al(most)ma mater – the school you transferred from.
(c) The school that actually handed you a diploma. Or would have, if you hadn't finished three credits short.
(d) Your spouse's school, especially if the program is vastly superior to your own, or your spouse cares waaaay more than you do, in which case: good call on getting married!
(e) You're a bandwagon-jumping, low-self-esteem weenie and scurry from Notre Dame to Miami to Ohio State to USC to Boise State depending on the year, the polls and the amount of water flooding into the ship.
If you can't be true to a school, at least be true to your own weaselly nature.

[…]

4.
If you attended a lower-division or NAIA school, you're allowed to pick a D-I school of your choice. But you must consistently root for that school year in and year out, and it's preferred that the school be geographically close to you.

4a.
Or you can just root for Appalachian State every week.

4b.
Notre Dame? How very original.

[…
]

9.
You are allowed to root freely against the following schools for no specific reasons: Notre Dame; Notre Dame in their puke-green jerseys; Notre Dame when playing on "Triumph of the Will"-shaming propaganda house organ NBC; USC; any school that plays its fight song approximately 4,387 times per game like USC; Michigan; Miami; Ohio State; any school like Ohio State with a pretentious "the" in front of its name, because otherwise how would we know which Ohio State university they were talking about?; any school coached by Steve Spurrier; any school coached by Nick Saban. (ed: I’d add “any team from Florida” to this list, but that’s a minor quibble.)

You may have noticed that I’m in the 4b fan category. Given that I never went to college, I’m free to root for the school of my choice, under rules Four and 1a (d) above, even if that means I root for my former spouse’s school (The Second Mrs. Pennington is a Notre Dame alumna). And I have been an ND fan for nearly 30 years now and don’t foresee any change in that status on the near or far horizons. It’s way too late to change allegiances at this point in life. While we’re at it, I should mention I’m a fan of, and root for, at least three schools, depending on who’s playing whom: ND, Michigan (the ten year living-in-Detroit connection), and Air Force. For reasons that should be obvious now. The only time I’m torn is when ND plays Air Force…and I well and truly don’t know what to do during that game. Very traumatic, that.

So, to the author of “The Rules,” especially Rule 4b: Put a sock in it. I like ‘em, otherwise.

A Timely Update

In anticipation of tomorrow’s football games football orgy, I give you the Readers Updates to The Rules. There are some pretty good ones…and I’ll only give you the ones that made me laugh out loud (here, in this post)…



62.
You are allowed to root for another school while your team is on probation. (STU_UNGAR1975)

62a.
Except in the SEC. This would be way too confusing.

69.
All fans are allowed to root for one service academy, but you must pick one. (terpman19)

69a.
If you pick Air Force, you must call them the Zoomies.
(ed: UmmmI’ll respectfully submit a corollary: “Unless you are IN the Air Force, or SERVED in the Air Force, or RETIRED from the Air Force. You will then call the team ‘Air Force.’”)

91.
Unless you win the BCS title game, you are not the national champions. I don't care what the AP poll says. (egomaniac)

95.
Any conference called "The Big Ten" that in fact has 11 teams must man up and kick one out. (htighe811)

95a.
Any Big Ten team who loses to a Division I-AA team is the candidate to be kicked out.

100.
Unless you matriculated and graduated from Stanford, Cal Tech, MIT or an Ivy League school, you may not use your alma mater's scholastic excellence as a valid excuse for crappy football. (That means you, Michigan, Notre Dame and Cal.) (winstoncounty)

By the way, the names in parentheses are the people that submitted the rule.

Oh. Almost forgot: GO Irish!!

Note:  ESPN's web site seems to be having some "issues" today.  I've tested and re-tested the links in the re-runs above and sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.  If they don't work for you... try this.

15 comments:

  1. Enjoy your football, Buck! I start my fall sports schedule officially today as well. From now until November my every Saturday is filled with either watching Shelby's volleyball games, or coaching the cheerleaders at football games. And some days choosing between the two (today Shelby will spend all day at a tourney in San Jon, but I have to stay here to coach. And so it begins...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post about football!
    I root for Navy. naturally. But Navy doesn't get too much tv time, so I usually watch the Spousal Unit's favorite (Michigan), if she happens to have the game on.

    Her school was Albion and her post grad was Western Michigan, so again, no skin in the game there!

    One thing I do respect about November Delta, is the Head Coach makes his team stand with the Navy team when they are singing the Alma Mater song. Awesome.

    But I do enjoy a College game over the NFL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the rules for fandom. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Good way to start the day, working through that list.

    GO KANSAS JAYHAWKS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm wit'cha, buddy, about the Football ORgy, all the way! (Except this weekend, when there's nothing really worth skipping a day in t he sunshine over.)

    That having been said, WHOOOO PIG SOOOOIIIIEEEEEEEE!! Beat Missouri State! (See what I mean?)

    Re: Rule 62(a) -- I can interpret for you. (Keeping up with who is coaching where, however, is another matter.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. MissBirdlegs in AL05 September, 2009 10:48

    Now Buck - you didn't mention THE college football team (except peripherally with the Saban comment). :-)

    ROLL TIDE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and I both call it a "teevee" but it seems there's a pejorative streak permeating through my use of it that doesn't apply to yours.

    Well, enjoy your afternoon in front of the detested idjit box, Lord knows you're probably putting the device to far better use than most.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And so starts the afghan or a new book while Toby watches football. That way we can be in the same room and he can yell, "Did you see that play?" and I will watch the replay. Go Pokes (Bo went to school there and since we live in OK, we choose OSU). Go Texas Tech (Toby and I went there). Gig 'em Aggies (family school- dad, uncles, cousins, and currently a nephew going there).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I found your post right after MY Oklahoma Sooners got BEAT by BYU. Beaten by BYU! And, our star Qback, a Heisman winner, hurt his throwing arm.

    Ahh, but I do love college football. Like you, I'll be watching till it's all over. I've always sentimentally liked ND, it's the teeny bit of Irish in me, and my third favorite team is whoever is playing USC.

    Love your rules, I'll try to abide by them. :)

    BOOMER SOONER!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My gram was very upset today regarding football. She had been looking forward to today for a while, to see her Tennessee Volunteers play. But wouldn't you know it, she was taken to the hospital after a nasty fall and the TV in her room did NOT carry the game. Luckily, my mom's next door neighbor DVRed it for her, so she can see it if she can get discharged tomorrow. So glad my 86 year old grandma has her priorities straight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...coz I'll be busy and you will just be an interruption.

    I love that statement for some reason. Had me laughing out loud!

    And since it's now Sunday, I'm not an interruption...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenny sez: And some days choosing between the two (today Shelby will spend all day at a tourney in San Jon, but I have to stay here to coach. And so it begins...)

    Wow. And here I thought MY life was difficult coz I had to keep flipping back and forth between two good games on the teevee. :D

    Why do I think your situation is gonna do nothing but get worse as time goes on?

    I'm glad to hear your Gram is OK and that she has her priorities "right," too!
    Darryl sez: I root for Navy. naturally. But Navy doesn't get too much tv time

    They got teevee time yesterday!! I was rooting for them... out loud, even... and just sorta died when OSU intercepted the two-point conversion pass. I HATE OSU (your wife would understand that;D).

    And like you, I MUCH prefer the college game to the pros. I might watch one or two NFL playoff games and I usually break down and watch parts of the Sooper-Dooper Bowl (the ads, yanno?). But other than that? I have better things to do on Sundays.

    Moogie sez: Except this weekend, when there's nothing really worth skipping a day in t he sunshine over.

    Oh, Moogie! You missed a great one if you missed the BYU-OU game... ditto for 'Bama-VT, and the aforementioned Navy-OSU game. The guys at SportsCenter last night were going on about what a GREAT start yesterday was, and I agree!

    MissBLinAL sez: Now Buck - you didn't mention THE college football team (except peripherally with the Saban comment). :-)

    My apologies! But... space considerations and all that. 'Bama really engineered quite a comeback last evening against the Hokies. I was impressed.

    Morgan sez: You and I both call it a "teevee" but it seems there's a pejorative streak permeating through my use of it that doesn't apply to yours.

    There is MUCH to be critical about when it comes to teevee... but MOST certainly not sports. And I'm rather fond of PBS, C-SPAN, and the Discovery/History Channel(s) , too. :D

    Lou: I watched bits and pieces of OSU-Georgia yesterday, it looks like they're gonna have a good season.

    Conservative Pup sez: Well I found your post right after MY Oklahoma Sooners got BEAT by BYU. Beaten by BYU! And, our star Qback, a Heisman winner, hurt his throwing arm.

    (Groan) Dang. Another OU fan. :D

    But, seriously. It's a shame Bradford went down; I don't wish injury on anyone or any team (even OU :D). That said... BYU simply outplayed OU last night; OU deserved the loss, and the game wasn't as close as the score indicates. Your Sooners are in for a rough ride if Bradford ain't back by the Miami game.

    Thanks for dropping by!

    Kris: Thank ya, Ma'am... I'm glad I could make ya smile!

    ReplyDelete
  12. MissBirdlegs in AL06 September, 2009 14:32

    "'Bama really engineered quite a comeback last evening against the Hokies. I was impressed."

    You might have been impressed, but I was (and still am) ecstatic! They seem to always find a way to scare the heck out of me. It got noisy here in my LR last night! The Navy game wasn't anything to sneeze at, either. I really like to see OSU get beat, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah... I can imagine it DID get a lil bit "exuberant" in your part o' the world last evening, MissBL! I, too, just LOVE to see OSU get beat... early and often. Their fans are insufferable (almost as much as OU fans), but we've gone on about that subject elsewhere, and often, too.

    We were quite pleased at the outcome of the ND game yesterday, but it wasn't all that entertaining. Blowouts never are. I skipped most of the second half of that game in favor of beer and cigars on the verandah.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Buck/

    Did you watch the LSU-Washington game on ESPN? The Bayou Bengals looked out of sync, but Wash was inspired and will get better--so will LSU for that matter. The big issue is what will they do with an ALL-WORLD #1 HS QB in nation last year sitting on bench as Freshman. Pressure will be great to ease him into starting role, believe me. He is NOT a work in progress, but the real deal in the here and now. But starter Jefferson is pretty fair QB also, only 19 and youngest in SEC and will get better too. Can you spell "QB Controversy?"

    PS: I'll have some new rules to add later on--I FULLY expect you to devote AN ENTIRE, SEPARATE POST to "properly" discuss them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Virgil: Yep, we most certainly watched LSU - Washington last evening, as noted in today's post.

    As for "The Rules"... did you check out the comments on both my original posts (by clicking on the post titles) and the comments to ESPN's original posts, of which there were over 1,000? I'm thinking the EIP posts garnered 20-some-odd comments, and as the original "Rules" posts are two years old I'm not certain they merit revisiting. But I might make an exception, given the fact I hold you in such high regard, :D

    And I'm awaiting your additions with baited breath.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.