Friday, September 04, 2009

Broadening Our Horizons VI

Yet another installment of this on-going EIP series entitled "Broadening Our Horizons."  Today it's a box of Cuba Libres, just off The Brown Truck O' Happiness:



A faux-rosewood box that is just lovely.




And then there are the beautiful red Corojo wrappers (this shot taken with flash to bring out the color).


And lastly, a detail shot of the interior box art.  I just love the work put into packaging cigars these days.

About the cigars themselves... I'll quote part of the advertising e-mail my Good Friend Tim at Cigar.com sent along:


Featuring a redolent Cuban seed, Corojo wrapper that is simply gorgeous, if you like medium to full-bodied cigars you'll love this flavorful treat. A chunky, box-pressed vitola, this Magnum size is a new classic. Made by Nestor Plasencia, this reminds me of the Decade by Rocky Patel crossed with Don Pepin Garcia's best. For fiddy bucks, this is a must!


Dang.  I am such a sucker for these sorts of e-mails.  But… on the positive side… I've yet to be disappointed when springing for one of these offers.  Happy Hour looks to be pretty good today.  I'll keep ya posted.

Update, 1520 hrs:  Mo Broadening:


We saw this in the cooler when we made our beer run this afternoon.  And now... The Great Outdoors beckons.  Prosit!


Update II, 2030 hrs:  Verdicts:


The cigar:  Worthy.  Nice construction... even burn, long lasting (i.e., 90 minutes).  From a third-party review:

It has an easy, slightly creamy prelight draw. Once I lit the sucker up, it peppered up a tad on me, but the spice was smoothed out by its nutty, almost earthy, sweet finish. (Gotta love that Corojo wrapper!) The Cuba Libre stayed this way through the end.


There were no burn, ash or draw issues here, as I smoked it down to the nub. (Through several of these, I’ve found they stay cool.)
Yup... gotta agree with that.  And now... the beer.

Decent.  Shiner's Black Lager pales in comparison to 1554, but that said... it's also worthy.  I wouldn't pass it up whenever it's offered, should it come to that.  And I might buy another sixer or two.  But as far as Black Lager goes... 1554 is till the "beer o' choice."  We are creatures of habit around here... and that ain't a BAD thing.

7 comments:

  1. Enjoying a Shiner Hefeweizen myself after getting absolutely REAMED on my block test this afternoon...I passed, but barely. Nice to be in Texas where you can get other Shiner brewed beers instead of just the original (although we did occasionally get Black Lager in Ames...pretty good stuff).

    On an AF note, got around to looking up SN1's AMOC class picture here at the schoolhouse. Tell him that the car was a nice touch and that I really hope that clunker belonged to someone in his class because it was rather ridiculous.

    I saw that email and would've ordered some if I had access to a mailbox down here. On a smoking note, I'd be enjoying a cigar myself if Sheppard didn't have such ridiculous restrictions on TDY students smoking on base thanks to AETC (Airmen Eternally Treated like Children). They just changed it...now you can smoke on base, but only in a nice little area cordoned off from everything else on the other side of base from where I live. Prior to that students couldn't use tobacco products on base.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Mike... First: I had a Shiner Hefeweizen as Beer #2 at Happy Hour. Great Minds, and all that.

    Second: As for AETC and their tobacco ban... it's just another indication of why "this ain't your father's Air Force." This sorta thing boggles the mind... SN1 told me tales of the AETC ban back in 2006 or so, when we went out to Maine. I couldn't hardly believe it then and STILL have trouble accepting it today. The best answer: get your own place off-base, once you're in a position to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had the option I'd be off base in a hotel now...unfortunately if there's space available you're required to be on base when you're TDY. There are a lucky few in my class who got put up in a hotel since there was no space in the VOQ. Rest assured, there's no way in hell I will EVER live on base permanently.

    The crazy thing about the AETC ban is that it only applies to students...permanent party/instructors are able to smoke whenever they want in approved areas (there's usually a smoking shack by every main building or so like you would expect in the normal civilian world). It's only the students who have to go outside the gate or use the newly approved area. Of course, since Sheppard is the second largest training base behind Lackland, that's still a ton of people.

    Outside of AETC I don't think any of the other MAJCOMs have such a restrictive smoking policy. The military as a whole is doing the "we're not going to ban it but we're going to make it ridiculously restrictive and difficult so we can drive people away from it" thing (kind of like motorcycles) but AETC is the only one that I'm aware of that has (had) an outright ban.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel yore pain, Mike, honestly I do. But AETC isn't forever, Thank God. I suppose ya just gotta grin and bear it... even though it ain't right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buck, would you send me the ordering information about these cigars via my home email? I would like to order a box or two for the Bar.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lou: The box is indeed pretty, but its contents are prettier! :D

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.