Friday, May 17, 2013

Today's Happy Hour Liquid Lunch Soundtrack

We called Happy Hour quite a bit earlier than usual today, mainly coz we got up quite a bit earlier than we usually do.  So there's that.

And there's this... I was listenin' to XM's Deep Tracks channel Tuesday evening while on my way over to The Big(ger) CityTM and the deejay did a "mary-jew-wanna" set (his words) which included The Fraternity of Man's "Don't Bogart That Joint" (Easy Rider, anyone?), Arlo Guthrie's "Comin' In to Los Angeles," The New Riders of the Purple Sage's "Panama Red," and this tune, also from the New Riders...



And now he's rollin' down the mountain
Going fast, fast, fast
And if he blows it this one's gonna be his last
Run to Acapulco to turn the golden keys
Henry keep the brakes on for this corner if you please
So, there I was... on my way to a meeting of The Retired Colonels Club (I say that coz there was only one other enlisted guy at the AFA meeting, besides me) and singin' along at the top o' my lungs to ALL these tunes.  I hate to think what knowin' all the lyrics to these tunes... even after all these years... sez about me.  Prolly nuthin' GOOD.

Ah, well.  It what it is.  And now it's back outside into the 91 degree heat... on its way to 95, supposedly... to finish as we've begun.  I'm pretty sure a nap will follow.

7 comments:

  1. Some of dem's kernel's prolly have the songs memorized, too. I have been passing Grateful Dead and Zappa cd's to a gent who is very, very establishment/well to do who happens to be aged 70ish. It's funny to listen to an older clean cut guy singing 'Sugar Magnolia' or 'Bobby Brown Goes Down' out loud in a prestigious yacht club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you just can't count the geezers out these days. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Seems to me that 70ish is right aged for The Dead and Zappa, seeing as how they're contemporaries of mine.
      Just sayin'

      Delete
  2. Heh. Retired Colonel's Club. I so get that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm debating whether to continue going or not. The chapter has been dormant for a few years and the current leadership is trying to resurrect it.

      Delete
  3. It was plum steamy here today - made me catch my breath and try to die. Good music.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.