Saturday, January 01, 2011

Happy New Year, Part II

I am NOT a Happy Camper right now.  My smoke detector went off shortly before 0830 this morning, rousing me from the deepest parts of sleep.  The FIRST thing I noticed after kicking off the covers and just before resetting the beepage was it's cold in the house.  Very cold.  Well, OK... I know what causes that and I took measures to fix it... which involves shutting down the furnace and restarting it.  (Parenthetical aside: about one time in 20 the electronic ignition fails to ignite the furnace, ergo: no heat.  Reset required.)

So, the furnace is now blowing warm air and I return to bed.  Not four minutes later... BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP!  (sigh)  I roll out, reset the beepage AGAIN (we are not on fire; I just have a sensitive smoke detector that knows when the furnace requires a reset... go figure) and decide the fates are against me in the sleep department.  I shuffle into the kitchen to begin the coffee making ritual and look at my faucet with a mixture of amazement and disgust: there's no thin stream of water emanating from therein.  I went to bed at 0430 this morning and the very last thing I did before retiring was to make SURE there was water flowing freely from the tap.  And there was.  But there isn't NOW.

So.  We are froze up and will likely stay that way until Monday coz this is what the forecast looks like:

Happy Fucking New Year.  The coffee is quite good this morning, though.  Then again, it always is.

Update, 1345 hrs:  Yays!


We shall have our shower today, after all.  Praise The Deity At Hand!  We only wish our Michigan football teams were having as good a day as we are but ya can't have everything, no?

14 comments:

  1. Sorry to laugh (you have to admit it does sound funny), but that really doesn't sound like a good start to the day. Try to enjoy your coffee.
    WV giggr (your post did make me giggle)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW go to the local hardware store and getcha some heat trace and black tape. Crawl under the house and apply to the pipe, and plug it in. Should help get you up and running sooner and stop it from happening again.
    Ok, now I know Gooble is laughing too.
    WV morming

    ReplyDelete
  3. MissBirdlegs in AL01 January, 2011 09:49

    We have plenty of running water for you this morning if you want to make the trip. It's running EVERYWHERE! 59 degrees & pouring, I say POURING, rain ever since I got up around 7AM. Obviously, it rained for most of the night, too, but I was blissfully asleep and unaware.

    Not a good start to your New Year, Buck, but hoping it's all good from here on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb: The pipes in the RV itself never freeze as they have heat -- seeing as how I bought the RV in Upstate New Yawk it came standard with an "arctic package." It's my white water hose that connects to the coach that freezes up. This happens every damned winter, but this is only the second time it's happened when I remember to set a drip. I think water went out in the entire park overnight, as that was the cause of my freeze-up the last time I had a stream going.

    All THAT said, I keep four gallons of emergency water on hand to see me through these events.

    Katy: I don't envy you! Good luck to the Tide today, even though I'm rooting for State. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer Zulu, my friend! It's 19F and clear in these parts, which is a welcome relief from warmer and raining. But...no frozen pipes.

    At least the coffee is good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buck, I hope your early morning trials are just momentary inconveniences for you and no reflection on 2011. I remember you having the same pipe issues last year and I second the recommendations posted by Deb above, if you have access to said plumbing that is.

    We are having a beautiful day here in the swamp, temps in the high 40's with a few clouds. I'll use the higher temps to chip the accumulated ice from the end of my driveway, the better to spot vehicles up the incline that there is.

    Enjoy the day, find some pork and sauerkraut even if it is a simple hot dog with a little cabbage on the side!!

    BT: Jimmy T sends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, we're back to that again, are we? Crud.

    Well, happy effin' new year back at ya', my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year! Sorry your day is off to a bit of a rocky start but I'm glad you're prepared.

    It has been COLD here in SoCal. Not like us to wake up to 35 degrees. Better than all the rain and flooding, though.

    I like this New Year's cartoon from Don Surber's and thought I'd share.

    WV: perslan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry about the water, Buck. Let me know if I you need anything I can help with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for commiserating with me. I'm OK, just six different kinds o' p!ssed. ;-)

    And thanks for the 'toon, Bec! That was most appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, 2011 can only get better from here, right?

    Happy New Year, Buck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all the above comments -from Deb's snickerin' to Staci's optimisim. With all these good friends, things will be good in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We lived in Colorado Springs for a part of a winter in an 8X38 foor trailer and I worked the damn pipes over every time it got colder. When we moved to Kansas, the pipes were OK by then but the cold was too much. We finally had every line heat taped and insulated (Including the sewer pipe) and a new furnace. We had to skirt the trailer also. I then had to convert the furnace from propane to Natural Gas or two mornings out of five it was cold because all the propane got used up. Oh well, we all pay a price for living where we do. Happy new Year.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.