Friday, June 04, 2010

Hot



If you click to embiggen you'll note that we New Mexicans really mean it when we say "But it's a DRY heat!"  That said... let me also say this: Gin and tonic season is well and truly upon us.  I see this sorta thang in my immediate future:


Two or three of 'em, even.  Last evening I sat outdoors nursing a single malt or two until the last vestige of purple-pink twilight had faded to black, which was nigh on to 2100 hrs.  I don't want to contradict myself by saying sumthin' like "this is my favorite time o' year."  But it sure as Hell is ONE of 'em.

Update, 1410 hrs:  We just had a momentary flash o' panic when we went to the Likker Locker, pulled out the Tanqueray bottle, and saw there was about ONE weak-ass drink's worth of contents therein.  "Oh, NO!" thinks I, having only recently returned from the Likker Emporium with a six-pack of Schweppes' Finest in hand.  I shoulda known better.  There was a new bottle (with a now recently broken seal) hiding in the back.  Mama didn't raise no fools.  

And now it's outdoors.  Cheers!

11 comments:

  1. Toby and I stopped at the Likker Store on Monday to buy some Gin - being hot and summer time. It was closed - probably some weird Okie law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that a Cafe con Leche there? I had one of those recently. Wow, that was good. My kind of smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lou: Heh!

    Andy: Yup, it is. I bought a box of those last year and you're right: they were out-frickin'-standing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tanqeuray & Tonic w/ a lime twist. Buck, dude that’s right in my wheel house.

    But considering I presently have Tito’s vodka in stock I’ll have to settle for that
    And it’s that time…have a great weekend, go Philly, stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so boring, ice tea for me -- and I don't mean the kind with alcohol.

    But, bless, it is hot AND humid. Hurry up, evening thunderstorm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband only drinks G&T's in the summer, they're a little too astringent for my taste.

    I could go for a margarita right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ♥ my Gingin's (Gin & gingerale)

    Tastier than Tonic (*blek*)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just this evening I convinced my spouse that there is a difference in gin. She'd ordered a generic gin & tonic, and a friend ordered a Tanq & tonic. A taste test ensued ... and whaddya know?

    If you're going to drink liquor, drink good liquor.

    Gin and ginger ale, though ... that's a new one for me, ~KC~. I'm trying to fit those tastes together in my brain. Guess I'll have to try it! : )

    Happy summer, all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always preferred Tanqueray for Martinis as it was so smooth. For G&Ts I preferred Beefeaters as it has more "bite" to interact with quinine/leamom/lime. (BTW, Beefeaters one of the few distilled anymore w. juniperberries)

    I always find after a few G&Ts my mouth gets dry & puckered, so switch to White rum & Tonic--a slightly sweeter drink for the long0ball hitting. Try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Small Tee: You're jinxing me with all this Philly stuff. Yanno?

    Kath: I've been known to drink a gallon or two of iced tea. But not at Happy Hour. ;-)

    Daph: The astringent bits are what I LIKE about G&Ts. Ya gotta have the right tonic, tho. The crap they sell at Wally World and elsewhere around here is too sweet. Thank The Deity At Hand my likker store has it, albeit at out-frickin'-rageous prices. Sigh.

    Lori: Good on Mary for comin' over to the Bright Side. Some people will swear there's NO difference, even after a taste test. Liars. There was a time and place for cheap likker... and you know what I'm talkin' 'bout. One graduates somewhere around SSgt or TSgt... ;-)

    Virgil: I don't have NEAR enough space to stock all your recommendations! But we ARE considering a move to more spacious quarters...

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW...your weather is much worse than ours. It's currently 91º here in Santa Fe ... but due to the fact that people told us we would NEVER need A/C here ... I am in a hot and not-so-very-good-mood right now.
    I LOVE G&Ts - I guess I need to get some gin and tonic this weekend. As for now, I DO have lemonade and iced tea, so I am happy.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.