Thursday, December 17, 2009

What Passes For Excitement These Days

I happened to see this lil event Tuesday morning on my way to the dentist's office.  From the Portales News-Tribune:
Police say an 88-year-old Portales woman was taken to Roosevelt General Hospital for observation Monday after her runaway car crashed into the state Motor Vehicle Division building and continued across several lanes of traffic.
Around 10 a.m., Minnie Fulton, 88, left the New Mexico Motor Vehicle Department on Avenue O, and her 2003 Ford Taurus possibly malfunctioned, Deputy Chief of Police Lonnie Berry said.
“It could be a malfunction with the vehicle, or it could be something that she caused, but it is not known at this time,” Berry said.
Fulton’s car brushed the motor vehicle building, Berry said.
“It was really minor damage to the building and her vehicle,” Berry said.
Berry said Fulton, still accelerating, went through the parking lot between the Bird’s Nest Sandwich Shop and Classic American Economy Inn and crossed one lane of U.S. 70, striking the median.
Her vehicle became airborne when crossing the other lane of U.S. 70 and hit the curb, stopping between U.S. 70 and the railroad track, said Berry.
If I would have been about a minute earlier the woman would have tee-boned me, as this happened about 300 yards in front of my car.  I looked on in amazement as the woman's car came blasting out of the parking lot at about 60 mph, crossed two lanes of traffic, struck the median (getting airborne in the process), continued across the highway and into the field before it came to rest after striking the railroad track embankment.  

I feel bad now that I know it was an 88-year old woman inside the car.  No one else stopped, either... and I was one of three vehicles that witnessed the event.  But... one never knows.  This easily could have been a car-jacking gone bad. 

I did manage to entertain Dr. Thompson's waiting room and staff with the description of what I witnessed, however.  It seems everyone in P-Ville needs a lil excitement once in a while.

10 comments:

  1. We had something like happen here, an older person went to stop but hit the accelerator instead. They were coming out of a bank drive through window when it all started. They shot out of the lot and accross a state road an into a historic building. The road was closed for many hours because they feared the building was going to collapse when the pulled the car out. The driver was 79 and the car was a Ford also. http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=176989

    It was big new our way too.

    BT: Jimmy T sends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have an angel looking out for you. Years ago at my mom's beauty shop, an older lady drove her car into the shop wall when she mistook the gas pedal for the break pedal. No one was hurt, but it did some damage to the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems we've all seen it or been involved in it. Years ago The Oracle and I lived in a condo with a communal parking lot. We had a lovely neighbor who was in her late 70s at the time. TWICE she hit the accelerator instead of the brake in the parking lot - the 2nd time we were living there and she hit 4 cars. Ours was the only one in the vicinity of hers that was not damaged. She even pushed one out of its parking spot and moved it about 2 parking lanes away, right into a dumpster.

    After the 2nd time, her family took her license away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Tragedy (for you, for sure) narrowly avoided. You see if your Guardian Angel would like one of those Acid cigars tonight, as a thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jimmy, Lou & Kris: I agree with your takes on what happened, given the driver's age. I know it sucks to have to give up your mobility... but once you become a hazard to others you should just quit. I find it hard to believe these people don't KNOW they're impaired.

    Jim: If that angel shows up she'll get the best I got!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a Mercury that decided to launch at FULL throttle on a green light. The brake was stood on and my rear wheels smoked but the pedal was welded to the floor! I pulled the car out of drive and the engine returned to idle. Put in drive and it did it again.

    A motor mount on the side of the car had sheared, so when torque was applied to the motor it lifted and this pulled the accelerator to the floor.

    When I hear of a car that "takes off", I remember that there are other reasons for a motor to go racing.

    People need to remember the ignition or the gear lever in their "Immediate Action" memory item checklist.

    Sorry for rant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard that call on the scanner, was trying to figure out how it was a vehicle vs. building yet be on HWY 70. So glad you weren't involved!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lonnie Berry's the police chief? Geez, I have been gone a while. When I left, he would have been more likely to be on the police blotter....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darryl: Your point... "When I hear of a car that "takes off", I remember that there are other reasons for a motor to go racing." ... is well taken. But age does seem to be the cause in most of these incidents.

    Jenny: It was a very "interesting" thing to see, lemmee tell ya!

    Gordon: Heh. I don't know Lonnie personally, but I'll take ya at your word.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll have to admit, Barco is right, but most of the time a person will freak out, scream and grip the steering wheel for dear life!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.