Thursday, December 03, 2009

The Triumph of Form Over Function

Which is ever true in Obama-world.  From today's Daily Report (which I was gonna post earlier before I was overcome with snow-angst):

Faux Pas in Alaska: An Obama staffer apparently decided the President shouldn't be photographed with the F-22 Raptor—the fighter the Administration succeeded in killing at just 187 aircraft—during his stopover at Elmendorf AFB, Alaska in mid November and ordered the base to remove it from the hangar where the President was to speak, according to a report by The Cable, a Foreign Policy magazine blog. The Cable confirmed with Elmendorf that the White House asked the base to put an F-15 in place of the F-22, the newest fighter operated and maintained by Elmendorf airmen.
We had heard tell of this a while back.  But we were sworn to secrecy.  Kinda-sorta.

Update:  It's still snowing.  Dang. 

Update II (1505 hrs):  A tweet from the Clovis News-Journal:  "(cnj) Eastern New Mexico University is canceling all classes tonight that begin at 6 p.m. or later. Golden Library will remain open."  Heh.  You'd think we were in Mississippi or sumthin'.  The frickin' roads are just wet... we've received maybe an inch and a half at the VERY most.  I'm thinkin' these people would just curl up and die if they were in Upstate New York or anywhere else in the Northern US of A.

10 comments:

  1. Clovis is not really in NM. Neither is Hobbs - Toby often says he is from Hobbs, America. If they were truly part of NM, they would not freak at a little snow. There are other differences - like my fellow teacher, Hank Archuleta used to say he needed to take me to the State Debate Tournament (held in Portales) so that I could interpret for him (thanks to my Texas accent).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still snowing hours later??? Oh, yeah, ALL the schools should be closed by now and since tomorrow is Friday -- oh, definitely everything is closed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the F-22 thing makes me use nasty language and I have yet to rewrite my post in more intelligent terms...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snow - I live in snow country, but half of California moved here - now, one snow flake and the place goes into cardiac arrest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (1) Your weather never ceases to amaze me...even when I drove RVs through NM, it could be 85 one week and an Ice Storm along I-40 the next....

    (2) What a crime that the Obummer can be called the Commander-in-Chief...all of our fighting men and women deserve better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lou sez: Clovis is not really in NM. Neither is Hobbs...

    You'd be in some serious trouble for sayin' that around here, Lou. I used to get some serious dirty looks when I walked around with my Texas flag lapel pin back in the day. It's ALL zias here!

    Kath: It's not too bad here in P-Ville, but note what Sharon (Towanda) said about circumstances a mere 80 miles north of us...

    Cynthia: I hear ya... on ALL counts! Yet I'm not going anywhere until it warms up; my Miata HATES snow.

    Pat: Our weather truly is amazing. It's not inconceivable that I'll be driving around with the top down in a week's time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our school closed today. But then again, we are closed every Friday, along with the other two county schools here. LOL! Gotta love 4 day week/3 day weekends year round!

    I subbed in our school's office for the secretary yesterday, and a majority of the phone calls were "are you having school" or "is school closing early" (and the students that came in begging us to close school early). One parent who recently moved here from Penn. came out to pick up her kids early and said that the roads were horrible! Then a bus driver came in and said they were fine. I was relieved that the basketball tourney that my daughter was to play in at San Jon was cancelled. I didn't really want her on the road that far late last night after it all froze.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad your tournament was canceled last night, too. It apparently was pretty ugly out there last evening and early this morning. I got a tweet from CNJ a while ago that said there were 39 weather-related accidents last night/this morning. It must have been way ugly out there, although it didn't look all that bad from my window, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Something's wrong when it's snowed in Houston and Clovis, but not Pittsburgh, PA!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, as I said elsewhere, POTUS's folks are damn lucky there were a couple F-15s left behind when the 19th (the F-15 unit) went TDY, because otherwise their choices would've been rather limited...E-3, C-12, or C-17. Wait, scratch that last, it's a controversial program too.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.