Thursday, December 10, 2009

Out and About

Our weather broke today...umm... that would be yesterday, seeing as how this will auto-publish at midnite on Thursday.  Ever the pedant, we are.  So, suffering as we were from a minor case of cabin fever, we got out and about and got a few things done yesterday.  

First on our list was a major re-supply run.  We haven't been out to Cannon Airplane Patch in a long, long time...opting instead to do our shopping at Wally-World these past six weeks or so.  Which has meant a significant reduction in our choices where comestibles and beer are concerned, coupled with a modest increase in the prices we pay for the reduced selection.  That negativity is offset by savings in time and distance, Wally-World being about 30 less miles there and back than Cannon.  And we are lazy.  Our reluctance to drive an extra 30 miles is also medium strange, as we have infinitely more time than money these days, in addition to a taste for better beer, among other things.

So... off we went and back we came, all without issue.  The larder is restocked with goodies unavailable at Wally-World, stuff like big-ass shrimp (40-count; WW only sells the itty-bitty bait kind), Cajun microwavable dishes, lettuce other than iceberg or romaine, brie, Haagen Dazs... the list goes on.  The fridge also has been restocked, the latter being more important than the former in the grand scheme of things (more about which below).  Which means we now have at least a two week supply of 2 Below and Mothership Wit.


We accomplished one other chore while out at Cannon and that particular exercise left me a little... no, a LOT... cold.  First: a lil background.  I'll be turning 65 in March and aside from reaching an age that officially qualifies me for geezerhood (I'm merely an apprentice geezer at the moment) I will also be going on Medicare.  

The Department of Defense took note of this impending event and sent me a love-letter last month, informing me that I must sign up for Medicare in order to qualify for Tri-Care For Life, which is the gub'mint program that kinda-sorta fulfills promises made to me in the way-back.  Promises made by re-enlistment NCOs and officers over the course of my career... to the effect of "re-up, sign here, and you'll get the Big Bucks retirement check every month upon completion of 20 years service... and FREE medical care for the rest of your natural life!"  Well, that certainly sounded like a good deal, right?

Not so much anymore.  I was briefed on Tri-Care For Life yesterday... it seems like all the squares have been filled, the appropriate boxes checked, and all we have to do is monitor the process to ensure things flow smoothly.  But I am NOT pleased.  Medicare will become my principal medical insurance once I turn 65.  I will no longer have an Air Force Primary Care Manager and I will only qualify for medical services out at the base (or any base) on a Space-Available basis, which is a kind way of saying "cold day in Hell," given the current manning situation at military medical facilities.  Tri-Care For Life becomes my secondary provider, which means they pick up the 20 percent of medical bills Medicare doesn't pay... assuming I can find a doctor in the area that will take new Medicare patients.  I haven't yet begun that search, but the stuff I'm reading in the news and seeing on my teevee isn't exactly confidence inspiring, yanno?  My trepidation also includes the half-trillion dollar cuts being proposed to Medicare, of course.  (sigh)  Timing is everything in life, ain't it?

Well, there is good news... SN3's medical coverage will be unaffected and I'll still be able to fill prescriptions at the base pharmacy (for free), too.  I suppose we should count our blessings, but I have a bone to pick with those re-enlistment "counselors."  More so with my congress-critters, actually.  They're the ones bastards that screwed the pooch... the re-enlistment guys were just salesmen, and they were selling something that existed at the point of sale but changed in the fullness of time.  I'm rather pissed off about it and I'm not alone, either.

―:☺:―

Leave us not end on a down note.  Remember I told ya Google loves me?  Well, we went googling for an image of the Cannon Airplane Patch commissary to illustrate this post... and this was our result:


OK... EIP gets the first 19/21 images for that search?  That's just ridiculous.  But I like it.  (insert smiley-face thingie here)

16 comments:

  1. Hey yeah the Congress Critters are surely maken a mess-o-things. The scary part is, they ain't done by a long way! After Health Care they have to move on Cap and Tax or the EPA will do it for them, then there is that pesky 2nd Amendment they want repealed and oh yeah there is immigration reform. Oh they are not done screwing things up by a long site.

    On the Google business, that is amazing. You must be the biggest thing going as far as Cannon is concerned. Talk about your flying under the Radar.

    BT: Jimmy T sends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, for an old geezer, you sure get a lot of recognition at google - just teasin'. I don't know much about Medicare, but my mom and dad have never had any problem finding doctors who take medicare patients. Along with their Texas Teacher Retirment insurance, they have done okay. Something else I don't really understand is if the Gub'mint already provides medicare and medicaid, why do we need another healthcare package?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sucks, Buck. Little else I can say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jimmy sez: After Health Care they have to move on Cap and Tax or the EPA will do it for them...

    That lil thing is my biggest hot-button at the moment. I just haven't figgered out how to put my outrage in words yet. It ain't the congress so much in this space, it's the frickin' EPA and the Supremes for allowing the EPA to do this bullshit.

    Lou: Thanks for the encouragement about Medicare. And you're right: if congress really wants to give health care to every American, why not just put us all on Medicare? Why waste all that time writing 2,000 page bills chock full of unintended consequences?

    Jim: Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buck, I'm gonna echo Lou. My folks, and in-laws have had zero trouble finding physicians that accept Medicare. Of course, we're in a 300,000+ metro area. So...

    That Gooble image search is amazing. I'm wondering how they snaked you out of the top spot. Probably a gubmit conspiracy.

    Yeah Buck, a promise from Congress is only good 'til the next election. But you knew that already. Heck, just don't get sick. That'll fix the whole mess. Just live 'til you're tired of it, and croak on your own terms. (insert smiley-face thingie here)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I think most any doctor accepts Medicare, it's just the idea of finding one you kinda/remotely/almost like. I mean, you have to like your doctor a little.

    Soooo -- I have a question. (I usually do.) How come you can get prescriptions filled on base but you'll be seeing a civilian DR.? I'm confused.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Geez, Buck. Thanks for the uplifting description of what we're looking at 4 years hence.

    Our new Commissary's construction fell another 10 months behind schedule this fall.

    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andy: Thanks for your optimism re: Medicare. My pessimism is based on the constant drum-beat of bad news in this space... just last evening I saw Talking Heads on my teevee claiming more and more doctors were refusing medicare patients or retiring in the face of inadequate payment from Medicare. Not exactly inspiring...

    And yeah, the reality of "congress giveth, Congress taketh away" has always been true.

    Kath: Free drugs are my RIGHT! (heh) But seriously, I fill scrips from my dentist out at the base today... as long as they carry the drug they will fill a retiree's scrips.

    Moogie: Sorry! But it is what it is, no?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just to chime in on Kath's thinking that "most any doctor accepts Medicare," No. Some do not at all.

    Well, most any doctor accepts Medicare, but our experience with our parents is that most of them limit the number of Medicare patients they accept to a certain percentage of their biz.

    As I said earlier, we are in a fairly large metro area, with like a bazillion doctors in practice, so the chances of getting "in" are better than in some less populated areas. But, my parent's doctor, and my mother-in-law's doctor just "take so many."

    It's really more a question of physician availability in a particular area than anything else. Once again, "in our experience," the Medicare patients seem to be more of an obligation than the routine "cash cow" patient. Don't get me wrong...our folks' doctors take excellent care of them. But, I have a feeling that they'd just as soon not mess with Medicare...not the patients...the program.

    I shoulda been a doctor...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eggs-zactly, Andy. You nailed it perfectly, and my fears, as well. We're a pretty small community.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Buck, my father (retired Navy) went through the switch to Medicaid a few years back. He was none too pleased at the time, but so far hasn't had reported any ill effects (pun intended). Although I believe he is still able to use Madigan Army Medical Center up here. I'll have to ask.

    I worry that this health care disaster that is simmering in Congress will end up having negative benefits on the health care benefits that us retiree's have.

    Well, at least you have some 2 Below to ease your pain. Think I need to restock myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Andy,I see what you're saying. Doesn't mean there aren't Drs, just will they take you. I mean, they're running a business, too.

    But even with the best insurance, it's still ALL a pain in the butt; the appointments, the co-pays, the paperwork -- geesh. Got to just be happy at least you've got insurance!

    (my "letters" are s h i l l) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. v irgil xenophon10 December, 2009 19:32

    You know, it has always been thus, Buck. I remember reading when the red-headed firebrand head of the Nat. Maritime Sea-Farers union--guy from Alabama--died (some 30 yrs ago now I guess) the last words he said to his wife on his death-bed were: "Don't let the bastards screw you out of my pension survivors benefits!"
    LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. One doc I read pointed out the problem with Medicare/Medicaid: he wrote that the kit to do a bunion removal costs more than the doc is reimbursed for the procedure--and, he's obligated to do the followup care, too.

    Perhaps we can adopt the kinds of savings other countries have; like washing and reusing disposable gloves!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, and we can import jihadist doctors from Pakistan. That's working really well for the UK, at least when they don't try to blow up nightclubs and airports.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gordon: Heh on your last...

    Apropos of all this: The hits just keep on comin'. So I saw yesterday that HarryFrickin'Reid wants to expand Medicare to everyone age 55 and older, which promptly drew criticism from nobodies like the head of the Mayo Clinic, various hospital associations and various and sundry Republicans... ALL to the effect of "that's the stupidest goldamned thing I've heard lately." Interesting times...

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.