Friday, October 05, 2007

Off on a Tangent. A Fast Tangent...

So. It was just too nice a day to simply sit inside and make the rounds and then…post again. I did make most of my rounds, but there are still a few blogs that remain unread. I’ll catch up on those right after I put this post up. But…the usual and customary blogs have all been hit, save for one…
No, Gentle Reader, I hit the shower about an hour after posting the sunrise pic, saddled up Miss Zukiko, and headed out to put another 50 miles or so (70, actually) on the clock before returning to the task(s) at hand. In the course of the ride the flashing fuel light came on at 175 miles, indicated. Which brings us to the first, and only, nit about Miss Zukiko…so far. She doesn’t have a fuel gauge like the late (un)lamented ‘Zuki did. I like fuel gauges, and I think it’s semi-criminal most motorcycle manufacturers don’t include them on their bikes. It ain’t that hard to do, and a gauge is much better than a flashing fuel light that comes on with a gallon left in the tank. Now a gallon of fuel will take you about 55 miles on Miss Zukiko (55.98 miles, actually, since I checked the mileage when I filled up this morning), but on some bikes one has a lot less miles left in the tank until you run dry once that light comes on…
Just sayin’.
Back to the ride. Miss Zukiko has potential…serious potential…of becoming one of my favorite mo’sickles of all time. She’s nicely balanced, has adequate power (fully unexplored as of yet, due to break-in limitations), and she isn’t all that uncomfortable for a sport bike. And she is beautiful beyond description, especially her color. There are blues, and then there are blues. Miss Zukiko sports about the best looking blue I’ve ever seen, running a close second to this blue. But, apples and oranges, and all that.
Just in case you’re wondering, Gentle Reader, I’ve owned about 20 or so mo’sickles during my life. My favorites are…
  1. My old RD-400. Dang but she was quick. And fun. And she’s still in the family.
  2. The RD-350LC. The pic is of a 250, but the 350s/250s were identical, save for displacement. This bike took me all over England…not to mention over the top of Mt. Snaefell on Mad Sunday.
  3. Any one of perhaps four 250cc motocrossers I owned in the way-back.
Speaking of Mad Sunday… I was gonna post the link to this but decided to embed it, instead.
Keep in mind, Gentle Reader, this guy isn’t doing anything illegal. There are no speed limits on Mad Sunday and traffic is one-way across the mountain. The guy in the video is seriously fast… much faster than me. But note that he does get passed…once…and rather convincingly, at that. Our rider never caught up with the guy that passed him, but there are some pretty cool wheelies at what looks like speeds well and truly over “the ton.” Amazing, that.
Just another day at the TT.
{sigh} Makes me wanna go back, it does.

4 comments:

  1. A fuel gauge? A fuel light? Well, aren't you a high tech whippersnapper, Buck. I knew when I was running low on fuel 'cause the motor would die. Then you had about 5 seconds to hit the other fuel tap if you didn't want to coast over to the side of the road. Then, if the ride had been bumpy or leany, you might have had as little as 5 miles on that side. 'Fess up - you know that old routine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't I blog about the lack of a petcock on these bikes? Or did I just tell the boys? I honestly can't remember...

    Anyway, at the risk of repeating myself... looking for the non-existent petcock drove me absolutely frickin' nuts when I took delivery of the 'Zuki. I finally asked the sales lady..."where IS it?" Only to find out there ain't one...

    And yeah, Lin...I DO know that drill from whence you speak. All too well, in fact. And I've left a couple of scoots by the side of the road while I hiked for gas as a result of misunderestimating the capacity of "reserve."

    Progress. Gotta love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The RD does NOT go very far on a tank of gas (as you know all too well) and I've done the petcock drill a couple of times. My Suzuki has a gauge as well... I love it for all the reasons you mentioned. It's kind of like the Vette; fast, fun, good looking AND somewhat refined.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thoroughly enjoyed this post. Like the blue too.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.