Thursday, September 20, 2007

That Kind of Day

It’s just that kinda day… And, by that, I mean short on motivation and long on procrastination. But there’s one more thing, as well. I stumbled upon a new-to-me blog today while reading comments over at Shelly’s place. And once I began reading I couldn’t stop. I finished reading “Cool, Calm, and Collected…” about a half-hour or so ago and I’m still in a state of wonderment and awe.

Mel, the proprietress of CC&C, is in a living nightmare, a nightmare all too familiar to military people and their families these days: her fiancé was killed in Iraq. Mel is handling her grief with strength and courage, and those facts come out in her writing. So, if you think you’re having a bad day…well, you’re probably not. Not compared to Mel and the others who have lost loved ones.

Drop over by her place and give her a hug. She deserves it.

Google mystery… Just for grins and giggles, and before I began making the day’s rounds this morning, I chased up a Google query that resulted in a visit to EIP. I was amazed to see this (as usual, click for larger).

There are over 91,000 links for this particular query, and EIP is Number One. How does that happen, one wonders? What are the ins-and-outs of Google’s algorithms that determine how a web page gets ranked? I know I’m not the first person to ask such a (stupid) question, but it fascinates me, nonetheless.

Today’s Pic: Sort of a re-run from April of this year… “Interesting Skies, Take Three.”

Right out my back door here in P-Ville.

6 comments:

  1. Buck,

    Cool, Calm and Collected:
    I did the same thing, although I was crying while reading. Glad you went over..

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cried last night while watching an old Haley Mills movie, "The Trouble with Angels." Maybe it is hormones. You can imagine what happened when I started reading C,C,&C. I may have to save the whole blog until I get home.

    I keep getting hits on "Calgary aphids" and "lunch places in Calgary". But the most interesting is the "Janetta Joy" hits - I'm sure there are some disappointed men when they find my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Middle name is sometimes "Procrastination"...but the last couple of days I've had a pretty good run at officiating football, working on my blogs, edge work on the sidewalk and painting....knowing winter is just around the corner, sometimes procrastination is not an option.....but sometimes I have to think about it....lol.

    pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the procrastination mood now too...
    I read CC&C a while back, and I think of Mel all the time. Her faith is amazing and my heart just breaks for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lou said: But the most interesting is the "Janetta Joy" hits - I'm sure there are some disappointed men when they find my blog.

    One assumes this person is some sort of...um... "adult film" star? I didn't google her, but I well and truly understand what you mean, Lou. I get those kinds of hits, too, and always wonder why those people still click through, especially on the image searches...when they can SEE what they're getting. And it ain't what they asked for.

    Pat said: but sometimes I have to think about it....lol.

    One should always analyze and evaluate any action, possible action, alternatives to actions, risks, possible outcomes, consequences, unintended consequences, etc. It's required. And besides that, the problem just may fix itself during the analysis process. I got out of a LOT of work using the "analysis" strategy back in the day, sorta like our congresscritters do now. ;-)

    And to all who mentioned getting a little bit misty while reading Mel's blog: Me, too.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.