Saturday, January 20, 2007

We DID Get Some Snow!

Via Lex…the 21st Century Swiss Army Knife. With a 1 GB USB drive. How very cool! I don’t think I’ll trade in my Executive model just yet, though…

Coup d’État Internet Google is taking over the internet. Really. The subject is geeky, to be sure, but the writing isn’t: “When Being a Verb is Not Enough: Google wants to be YOUR Internet. Excerpts:

Google controls more network fiber than any other organization. This is not to say that Google OWNS all that fiber, just that they control it through agreements with network operators.

[…]

Google loves secrecy. That they've been acquiring fiber assets hasn't been a secret, but the sheer volume of these acquisitions HAS been. Why? One thought is that it kept down the price since people didn't really know it was Google snatching up this stuff (they've done it under a number of different corporate names). But if price was the issue, then why hasn't Google just bought the companies that own the fiber? It made no sense until I scratched my head and thought a bit further, at which point it became obvious that Google wants to -- in its own way -- control the Internet. In fact, they probably control it already and we just haven't noticed.

[…]

The answer is pretty simple. Google intends to take over most of the functions of existing fixed networks in our lives, notably telephone and cable television.

Read the whole thing, coz it ain’t just bandwidth. Google is building lots of new data centers, too, sometimes in the most unlikely places. This is a case made on circumstantial evidence, but the case is well-made. I tend to believe it. Now I just need to decide if this is a good thing, or a bad thing.

Today’s Pic: “Not Going Anywhere Today.” I was out and about El Casa Móvil De Pennington for a few moments this morning, and this is the result. We have at least six inches of new snow on the ground, and there just might be eight inches. It’s still snowing, too. It’s very quiet outside, traffic is non-existent, and I mean there’s NO traffic on US 70…none at all. The road may be closed again, for all I know. I’m very, very glad I took the necessary action to get all stocked up yesterday morning. Coz like I said: “I ain’t going anywhere today!”

4 comments:

  1. Re: Google - it's a bad thing, IMHO.

    Hey Buck, did you take the circuitous route around su casa to take the photo? There are NO foot prints!!!

    :)

    Cool ... figuratively and literally, I suppose ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! Snow! We got some too! And it is a cool 14 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've opted not to go to town for church, which means I haven't gone all year. My husband did venture out to feed the cows yesterday and told me that the bumper of the feed truck is dragging in the snow. We got at least a foot. Pretty, though. And will be good for all of our farmland.

    BTW, I read today that our governor has thrown his hat into the race. Well, if anything, it will be an interesting race.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve said: Hey Buck, did you take the circuitous route around su casa to take the photo? There are NO foot prints!!!

    I'm just very light on my feet... :-)
    Actually, I came around the left side of the car, walked into the road, turned left, walked about five paces and took the pic. My footprints are pretty much invisible this morning due to the 25+ mph winds we had last night. No big drifts that I can see, though.

    We're warmer than you, Laurie...we've stayed in the low 30s to mid-20s since Friday. That's still cold though!

    Jenny: I saw that about Richardson, too. He doesn't have (ahem) a snowball's chance in Hell, yet he's going to spend all that money and travel to NH, Iowa, yadda, yadda... I wonder what job he's actually looking for in the coming Clinton administration? :-)

    I'll bet your kids had a ball in the snow, right? How many snowmen do you have?

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.