Wednesday, December 13, 2006

On Music... which quickly turns into another paean to RP

I can usually count on my blogging friends for inspiration, and such is the case with this post. Lou has been reflecting on some of her favorite music over the course of the last day or two and unsurprisingly (or surprisingly, take your pick) I find we have several artists in common: Gary P. Nunn and Joe Ely, just to name two. Lou has a definite advantage over me in this area, as she has lived in places where it wasn’t out of the ordinary to see folks like Gary and/or Joe on a regular basis. Most college towns are like that, come to think on it. And Lou has another musical claim to fame that simply cannot be topped: Neil Young played at her wedding reception! Yowza!!
Music is (and has always been) very, very important to me. Less so these days than in the way-back when I subscribed to The Hippie Trinity of “sex, drugs, and rock ‘n’ roll,” the latter two being prime facilitators of the first, of course. But that tells you more than a little bit about the type of women I hung around with back in the day. Guys, too. The one thing we had one thing in common was a deep devotion to “our” music, and all the trappings…the de rigueur subscription to Rolling Stone (or Creem), the monthly trips here and there to concerts, the patched jeans, the whole nine yards. It was a culcha thang. And part of that culcha was looking down our collective noses at any musical genre that wasn’t “hip”…especially country.
But, ah…the greatest “good thing” about aging is your horizons broaden along with your waist line. Conventional wisdom, such as it is, goes by the boards and you are essentially free of peer pressure to enjoy what you will. I began to develop an appreciation for classical music around age 35 and country music around 40. The aforementioned Joe Ely piqued my interest in country when I saw him in London for the first time in ’81 or ’82 (The Grateful Dead and The Eagles aside. How we made allowances for these two group’s obvious country influences is beyond me, but we did.), Lyle Lovett sharpened it in the mid-80s, and SN1 exposed me to some really great country stuff a few years back. So, I’m a confirmed country fan, now. (SN1, by the way, has the most eclectic taste in music I’ve ever seen, including hip-hop, which I just cannot get into no matter how hard I try.)
Another of the greatest things about pop music is its constant evolution and the constant parade of new artists. “Keeping up” has been a bit of a problem these past few years, or ever since I landed in P-Town. I cancelled my subscription to RS years and years ago, and local radio…uh…sucks, to put it mildly. Long-time readers know I’ve found an answer to this problem: Radio Paradise. I’ve gone on (and on, and on) quite a bit about the wonderfulness of RP. The best thing is the wide variety of music on RP; here’s an example from this hour:

Two pure-jazz tunes, one jazz-pop fusion tune, one acoustic “Old Hippie” song, and two others. Great stuff. RP also plays a fair bit of country, too…including Johnny and Roseanne Cash, Lyle, Lucinda Williams, Hank Williams (senior), Joe Ely, and Steve Earle, just to name a few that come immediately to mind. And not much, if any, hip-hop. This is a good thing. Another “good thing” is the sense of community RP has. Bill, RP’s proprietor, has facilitated this community by allowing members (membership is free) to comment on each and every song played, and to rate each song on a scale from one to ten. The comments forums (fora?) are a hoot and can be educational to boot, what with song and artist trivia posted routinely. RP members’ song ratings are aggregated in one spot, so you can get a sense of what people like (and don’t like) simply by viewing their profile. As an example, here’s my complete list of “tens:”

Entirely predictable for a guy my age, eh? That Beatles entry is the complete second side of Abbey Road, by the way. If you’re interested, my complete set of ratings is here. A quick perusal of my ratings list gives one a good feel for the eclectic nature of RP’s play list. And insight into my "taste," such as it is.
Radio Paradise: I’d be lost without it. Well, maybe not “lost,” but certainly a lot poorer. The soundtrack to my life these days. Assuming the ‘net connection is in serviceable order, of course.

12 comments:

  1. Heh, I'm pretty sure I could give SN1 a run for his money...I can't count the number of times people have caught me listening to something unusual (jazz, minimalist classical piano, hip-hop, '50s rock/pop/doo-wop) and been surprised. "You listen to THAT?!?"

    Course, it helps that I've got a solid 75 hours worth of music on my iTunes, plus another 20 hours of so worth of CDs that aren't loaded onto my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I mention that Ray Wylie Hubbard used to live with my family in RR during the summers? Maybe I will explain that on my blog today.

    I love all sorts of music, but I grew up listening to big band and Bob Wills - thanks to my Daddy. Then Red River musicians came into my life and showed me so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think young people are even more ecclectic today than when we were younger. There is just so much more available to them. Not like there are just a few radio stations playing the same stuff all the time, and you had to wait for a ride to go buy records or 8 tracks. They are just exposed to so much more and have the technology to play it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm like SN1, I have a love for all kinds of music. My mother taught me the love for the Big Band sound, especially the Glenn Miller Band. Then being the youngest of a family of 5 I listened to generations of music from Elvis to Grand Funk Railroad to Willie. Now when I was in high school I was a big fan of Ray Wylie Hubbard and Jerry Jeff Walker. Today, I listen primarily to C&W but I still have can listen to just about anything playing. However, Buck I'm with you on the Hip Hop stuff, I guess my Hip has done Hopped off and left me. My sons are the same was too they love music. My youngest is a Big Band and Rat Pack enthusiast.

    Lou, I'm very jealous, RWH living with you Neil Young playing at your reception. WOW! I'm with you dad, Bob Wills is still the King "ah" !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike: No doubt you could, from the sound of things...

    Lou: More amazement! RWH is quite the songwriter in addition to performer.

    Laurie: I disagree with your "young people are even more ecclectic..." My (admittedly limited) experience with four teen-aged granddaughters says "if ain't hip-hop, it ain't," period. I will differentiate between people who genuinely love music for music, as opposed to music as fashion accessory or an "in your face" statement of rebellion. Kids with formal training, e.g., piano lessons or playing an instrument in the H.S. band, are much more likely to be eclectic IMHO.

    Dale: I grew up on a diet of big band and 50s crooners, too. But my Mom loved rock 'n' roll. Dad, OTOH, hated r'n'r and would not allowed it to be played when he was within earshot. He never changed, either...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started off being a rebel in the '70's, I was listening to KMPX San Francisco. Big Band! Jazzbeaux Collins!!

    Then on to rock. The Eighties were void of culture, except some Club by that name...

    Then back to Big Band. And So on...

    I can listen intently to both Frank's (Zappa and Sinatra!) and I still can enjoy Rush and George Strait in the same cd stack.

    Whatever happened to the songwriters? The Mercer's, Rodger's, and Arlen's, etc?

    Is 27 the final creative age for a Rock and Roller? Then they die??? (Parsons, Hendrix, Morrison, Cobain; et al.)

    I think the Music industry has ruined music (See "Classic Rock") and now, if it isn't "Fresh", it just plain isn't. Plus radio stations playing the SAME 500 songs that their survey's say we all want to hear. Right.

    Indeed, what is UP with the Hip Hop thing. I thought it had to do with a culture of inner city folks, giving a voice to some oppressed "street playa's" to yell at the outside world. My blue eyed, blond haired Nephew thinks he is some kind of gang-banga. (He Bangs for Red. Why? I have no idea. He ain't oppressed by anyone!)

    Soooo, switch on the XM, enjoy your favorite music, and have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buck wrote: "I disagree with your "young people are even more ecclectic..." My (admittedly limited) experience with four teen-aged granddaughters says..."

    I'm speaking from seeing what my son and his friends are listening to. Very wide variety. From classical music, to movie themes, to classic rock and some new rock, very heavy metal old and new, and just about anything in between. They don't listen to hip hop or rap though. He listens to a much wider variety of stuff than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. DC said: I think the Music industry has ruined music (See "Classic Rock") and now, if it isn't "Fresh", it just plain isn't. Plus radio stations playing the SAME 500 songs that their survey's say we all want to hear. Right.

    Precisely. I can't bear to listen to commercial radio at all any longer...terminal burn-out. Which is one of the reasons I've gone on so much and so often about RP...the closest thing to '70s free-form FM or college radio there is. XM is good...I enjoy listening to it when I'm traveling with SN1. Yet, still and even, both SN1 and I twirl the dial quite a bit, even with XM. RP has it all...in one place. I have "issues" with RP at times, too. Bill tends to play too damned many whiners, i.e., "sensitive" male singers, which I frickin' hate!

    Laurie: Your son is definitely more eclectic than I was at his age, and more so than my granddaughters, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd agree with the assertion that formal training makes you have a more eclectic taste, because like you said, it gives an actual appreciation for music instead of what is "cool."

    As for the hip-hop thing, it's changed for the worse in the late '90s and early '00s. It used to be, as you said, about giving a voice to oppressed. You had people (Run-DMC anyone?) rapping about actual social issues and problems. Now it's all about bitches, 40s, and bling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let's see, he has Pink Floyd, Ozzy Osbourne, Queen, Styx, Rob Zombie, Antonin Dvorak, John Williams, Linkin Park, Nickelback, Billy Idol, Evanescence, Santana (old & new), Creed, Mozart Horn Concertos. Oh, and he likes Weird Al.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jesse is much like Laurie's son. Jes started out listening to our country music and oldies RnR. She knows more oldies songs than I do. When she discovered Sinatra, Dean Martin, and others, she was in love. She also likes big band, swing and is up on the latest Pop music. She has her favorite Christian rock (Third Day and others). She has a few classical CDs, but rarely to never does she listen to hip-hop rap crap.

    ReplyDelete
  12. DC said: Indeed, what is UP with the Hip Hop thing. I thought it had to do with a culture of inner city folks, giving a voice to some oppressed "street playa's" to yell at the outside world. My blue eyed, blond haired Nephew thinks he is some kind of gang-banga. (He Bangs for Red. Why? I have no idea. He ain't oppressed by anyone!)

    Then Mike said: As for the hip-hop thing, it's changed for the worse in the late '90s and early '00s. It used to be, as you said, about giving a voice to oppressed. You had people (Run-DMC anyone?) rapping about actual social issues and problems. Now it's all about bitches, 40s, and bling.

    I don't have an issue with giving the oppressed a voice, but when you come right down to it, exactly WHO in America is oppressed these days? It ain't like we're making people sit in the back of the bus any longer...those days are well and truly gone. Hip-hop is just one symptom of a sub-culture in trouble. A couple of days ago I was gonna write about this op-ed by Stanley Crouch, a columnist for the NY Daily News...but decided not to. The piece seems germane, now that we're talking about hip-hop.

    So...my issues with hip-hop go beyond the fact I don't particularly like the music, which strikes me as being repetitive and boring, regardless of the artist and/or song. It's more about the prevailing message, which I cannot identify with at all: I'm not alienated, I don't want to shoot cops (or anyone else), and have zero use for bling. And the women in MY world aren't bitchez and ho's, either.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.