Saturday, January 19, 2013

Excess

So we kicked off the 2012-2013 hockey season this afternoon by watching the El-Eh Kings Stanley Cup Championship banner-raising ceremony.  About which, the title to this post: excess.  I've watched a lot of banner-raising ceremonies in my time but NEVER have I ever seen one as wretched as this one.  First there was the usual, customary, and quite reasonable "tribute to the season" video on the jumbotron, and then things went off the rails.   By that I mean the Kings organization proceeded to introduce everyone on staff... including the equipment managers, bag-toters, trainers (every damned one of 'em), and the coaching staff... which would be akin to introducing the key grip and the caterers at the Oscar ceremony for Best Picture.  At least they didn't introduce the Zamboni drivers and the ice girls, for which I'm thankful, indeed.  Then the announcer introduced the team, which is pretty normal.  But in keeping with El-Eh glitter, Our Man introduced the team... by number... and had them skate out and receive their Stanley Cup rings from the owner's wife.  ALL of 'em, individually.  Then we had the ceremonial arrival of The Cup which is normal, once again, but this time El-Eh proceeded to introduce the team a SECOND time as they passed The Cup from player to player while skating it around the periphery of the arena.  I know people in El-Eh have short attention spans but they couldn't POSSIBLY have forgotten the players' names in that short period of time.

By this time I'm thinking "just raise the frickin' banner, already!"  But there was more.  The championship banner was hauled out by the mother, father, and eight year old brother of a victim of the Newtown shootings, the connection being the eight year old boy plays hockey.  Forgive me for this, Gentle Reader, but that was the point when I went "WTF?"  Seriously.  I could see the Bruins, or even the Rangers, doin' something like this because of a regional connection... but LA?  Over 3,000 miles away from Newtown?  That was just too damned maudlin and too damned much.  Sue me if you feel differently.

So, the banner was finally raised and the game got under way.  I said a small prayer to The Deity At Hand along the lines of "Please, Dear God... let them LOSE."  And the Deity, she answered my prayers... Chicago 5, El-Eh 2.  Just desserts.

A final thought, which also occurred to me during the ceremony:  For GOD'S sake, act as if you've been here before.  And then I remembered: they haven't been here before.  I suppose it's hard to get it right the first time.  Nonetheless: what a sad spectacle.

11 comments:

  1. Parvenus ridicules n'est-ce pas?

    Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. The nouveau riche of the hockey world, with ALL the lack o' taste and grace that implies.

      Delete
  2. I was thankful when the broadcast switched to Philly/Pittsburgh. The few minutes of it they showed were pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have much rather watched the Flyers-Flightless Birds... that's a serious rivalry there, and good hockey.

      Delete
  3. I am extremely happy for you, having hockey once again gracing your life. As for the ring ceremony ut inconcinnus, well, I never would have expected anything less from L.A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to google "inconcinnus," and found out you're RIGHT. ;-)

      Delete
  4. It's crap like that which makes me avoid, even detest, that part of my home state.
    I'm almost ready to call it South Bakersfield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "South Bakersfield?" ZOMG! Now you really ARE stooping low, lol.

      Delete
    2. @Skip: Heh. I think I'd prefer Bakersfield, actually. More honesty there.

      Delete
  5. So my Blackhawks are good for SOMETHING, eh, Buck? :)

    (OT, but while I was in limbo listening to indie radio last night I heard a GREAT song. It was a modernized rocka-billy cum ballad-like ode/paean to a guy's 67 Nova. The killer lyric? "The savior of the Nation from Coast to Coast; my 67 Nova is the Holy Ghost." Only trouble is when I went to the lyric-finder services I came up empty for the name of the song. I got nuthin.' No song title, artist--nuttin.' Wanna try your luck, Buck? Anyone? The rest of the lyrics are equally original/memorable as well... I say again, GREAT song..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In re: OT. I went through eight pages o' Tube O' You vids and came up empty (on yer song), but I DID find a LOT of really cool cars. I fucked up back in '67, by buying a '67 SS396 Chevelle. I wanted... had to have... a big-block. Chevy had two other, MUCH better cars that year: the original 302 cu in Z28 Camaro and the Nova SS with the 350 hp 327. The dealer in Lompoc, CA where I bought my car actually HAD a Z28 sitting on the lot and offered it to me but I was too stupid to realize what it was. I also knew a guy who bought one of those 327/350 hp Novas and he would clean my clock every single time we went head to head.

      All THAT said, I really loved that Chevelle... it was a great road car and fast enough to get me into trouble.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.