Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Rather Random

Today has been a strange sort o' day, in a number o' ways.  First and foremost there's that anniversary thing, which is always marked with reflection and a good degree of introspection on my part.  This year hasn't been much different in that regard.

What HAS been different is my physical condition.  I'll try not to flog dead draft animals too hard, but I've been... umm... less than optimum.  The pain-killers I'm on have caused me to spend a lot o' time on the couch in a semi-conscious state o' mind.  Shorter: I'm sleeping a LOT.  

Excess sleep has had some interesting effects, like the fact I woke up at 0400 hrs this morning and couldn't get back to sleep, no matter how hard I tried... and I tried.  So we got up, fired off the coffee pot, put a post up sometime after 0430 hrs, made the rounds o' blogs not yet updated, surfed the 'net, played with our finances a lil bit and just generally hung out.  The morning progressed slowly until the rest o' the world woke up, at which time we went and got The Tart cleaned up inside and out, ran out to Cannon Airplane Patch for to make a commissary run (more soft food, please!), get my bi-monthly haircut, came home, unloaded the groceries, put them away, grabbed a lil lunch, and launched Happy Hour... all well before noon.  Which is really weird, Gentle Reader, seein' as how I'm normally pouring my second cup at that time.

We were finishing our first beer when SN1 dropped us a note, asking if we were available for a Skype session?  Why, yes.  Yes, we were.  And we did.  I really free smileys me some technology, especially when it allows me to catch up with what's goin' on in the AOR.  What a change from those old HAM radio communications we had back in my day... and anyone who "benefited" from a MARS call back in the day knows exactly what I'm on about.  Over?  Over!

So, we've just renewed our meds and are about to launch Happy Hour, Part Deux.  But one more thang before we go...  Remember how ecstatic I was about The Lovely Renee and the fact I finally found a barberess who cut my hair the way **I** wanted it cut?  Well, scratch that.  Renee has moved on to greener pastures (ABQ, so I'm told) and I'm out in the cold yet again.  The good news is the lady that cut my hair today didn't do a bad job, so mebbe there's hope.

So... beer me!

11 comments:

  1. Shoot. I'm already your friend, so I guess you don't have any reason to give me any of your meds...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd share... IF you were here. I don't ship, though. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Wow! I'm impressed! And seeing as how I'm in the midst of the mother of all migraines (I just had to get up and do for a bit!), you could be my very, very good friend right about now. Glad you got to Skype. We don't have a camera on the computer, but we can do Facetime with new grandbaby now.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suffered from migraines in my youth, so I have some idea where you are at the moment. I suppose the good news is the condition fades as you get older... st least that was the case with me. I'm looking around for some wood to knock on, because I haven't one of those damned thangs in ten years or so. I don't EVER want to have another, thank ya.

      Delete
  3. Glad you got to Skype with SN1, Buck. Also want you to know that your boys are in my prayers. As are all of our men and women in uniform. But your boys feel like family. Pass along my thanks for their service! (Yes, Buck I thank you as well!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But your boys feel like family.

      What a great thing to say, Sarge. I feel the same way and we're all sorta family in this respect, aren't we?

      Delete
  4. Mom had a tooth pulled yesterday, and I got to be right there with her. Geeze, that was no fun. I thought about you.

    Believe it or not, I have not skyped.

    Hmm, your barber moved to Alb. Could be a sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never used Skype until Buck headed off to the AOR again. It's pretty danged cool.

      I hope your Mom is doin' OK today, Lou.

      Delete
  5. MARS!!?? How 'bout autovon!! Quick story. We had a legendary airman intell guy (Airman "Brutch"--attached to the ALO/FAC element headquartered to the the MACV compound at Tam Ky, province of Quang Tien, a province no longer in existence, having, apparently, been absorbed into Quang Nam to its north) attempting to call his counterpart in Quang Ngai City on the old autovon system, ended up connected to a Marine outfit in Santa Monica. "Who are you calling?" asked the operator. "I'm trying to get Quang Ngai City" replied Brutch. And thus he passed into AF communications legend, lol. (PS: His uniform of the day was Bermuda shorts, combat-boots, a powder-blue short-sleeved sweat-shirt w. AF silver wings spray-painted on the back. LOL! )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure you don't have yer airman confused with a Robin Williams character? ;-)

      AUTOVON was a real, honest-to-gawd phone system, Virgil. I survived the SAGE ring-down system before AUTOVON, wherein you had to dial approximately 37 digits to get to a specific location. That all depended on WHERE you were calling. Fer instance: if I wanted to call Oxnard AFB from Lompoc AFS... a distance of only about 125 miles... I only had to dial two or four digits. But if I wanted to call someplace on the EAST COAST I had to dial the two or three digit number of EVERY GOTDAMNED place the call would transit on its way from here to there. I kid thee not. It was a serious PITA to use, but on the other hand it really was effective at limiting telephone abuse. At least every DoD location with AUTOVON had a unique seven-digit phone umber.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.