Sunday, June 05, 2011

I Shoulda Never Bought Those Pink Flamingos...

... coz now Amazon thinks I'm stoopid.


Or an easy touch.  They might be right on both counts, which kinda sorta explains the Tweedledee propeller hat.

―:☺:―

I abused My Buddy Lee last evening by forcing him to watch the hockey game.  Well, "watch" is a bit strong as he took advantage of the opportunity by falling asleep midway through the first period and staying asleep until there was about five minutes left in the third.  As for me?  I thought it was another great game between two well-matched teams.  Boston's pretty much snake-bit in this series so far but the series goes home for the Bruins tomorrow night.  Let's hope those B's have better luck in the Garden.



Speaking of Lee... he ought to be somewhere around Carrizozo by now.  He'll be doin' a 12-hour day today, on his way to spend some time with his sister in Tempe.  Lee's takin' the scenic route (above) to Arizona... read as two-lane highways... as any and all good bikers do.  He asked if there was anything to see on the way... other than desert... and I told him about this:


Yeah, he's gonna stop.  Wouldn't you?

16 comments:

  1. as an old prairie boy, those 500 miles of not really changing scenes do bring back (mostly) good memories.

    I'm thinking you're going to give it another couple of days before you start looking at motorcycles for sale again..?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have experience with those "miles and miles of nuthin' but miles and miles" up your way, Marc, given as how I used to go to Regina to party. One develops a keen appreciation for grain elevators as a result...

    Yeah, it's gonna be at LEAST a couple o' days before I start lookin' at mo'sickle ads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Yeah, he's gonna stop. Wouldn't you?"

    Oh yeah! The VLA has great visitors' center! And I got the inside tour in the course of obtaining my astrophysics degree from UNM. The Plains of San Augustine were chosen for the VLA because of their radio remoteness. You as a radar guy would understand.

    That run from Showlow to Globe will be a memory for the books on a bike like that. Zoom your map in on the Salt River Canyon to see what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I DO understand about the VLA's remote location, Bob. And it's pretty danged remote!

    I zoomed the map as you suggested and you're right. That makes me wish I were ten years younger and riding that route on my bike, instead of Lee. (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Next time you want some pink flamingos or Chinese lanterns, which can be very cool, try the Dollar Store. They don't track you after your purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you start accumulating kitschy stuff from Amazon, your post pictures could get dangerously entertaining. :-)

    Did they use shots from the VLA in the Jodi Foster movie "Contact"? I loved that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lou: I'll take your advice under consideration!

    Red: "Contact" did indeed feature the VLA. The VLA's management mentions that in the FAQ on the web site...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can understand the flamingo's, but how does the propeller hat fit in?

    If I was ever in that neck of the woods, I would most certainly stop and visit the VLA.

    ReplyDelete
  9. BR: I spent HOURS (and hours) there when I visited in the way-back. Took lotsa pics, too. Search for "VLA" on the blog, if'n you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  10. IDK, I think somehow the propeller hat fits right in with someone who would buy a pair of pink flamingos.

    I think that hat would work really well as the off day hat for the Castro hat to get a day of rest. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah - the VLA, I would most definitely stop. And possibly never leave.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen one of those hats somewhere in the blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. IDK, I think somehow the propeller hat fits right in with someone who would buy a pair of pink flamingos.

    Heh. I think you're RIGHT, Anon.

    Kris: The VLA IS most impressive!

    Ivan: You might see another one, too. Somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know where IT saw the hat... and when.


    v-word = grate

    ReplyDelete
  15. That wouldn't be someone WE know, would it? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Red Hamster: Yes, "Contact" was filmed there. Also, the opening scenes of "2010 Oddysey II" with the late Roy Scheider were. I love THAT movie. ("Piece of pie. Easy as cake.")

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.