Monday, April 04, 2011

Irony

My Buddy Ed In Florida is one of my primary sources of entertainment and his offerings appear in these pages frequently.   I received a collection of pics from him this weekend that were pretty funny; here are two from about a dozen such:



Yep.  There's ALWAYS hope; you could learn to fly!

―:☺:―

Speaking of irony and stuff...  I got a call from a very nice lady at Roosevelt General Hospital this morning who wanted to ask me a few questions that will make the admission process for tomorrow's eye-cutting go a bit faster, and do I have a minute?  Well, yes... I do.  Fire away, sez I.  

It turns out the questions were all about my medical history and current health issues, if any.  She inquired about my height and weight, alcohol consumption ("Do you drink alcohol?"  "No, I have an IV that's more efficient."), smoking ("Not cigarettes, one cigar per day."), do I use street drugs (I had to think about that one for a moment), and wound up by asking if I'd ever had heart disease, a heart attack, a stroke, high blood pressure, arthritis, diabetes, any surgeries (one, 13 years ago for a herniated disk) and all the other ailments associated with Our Golden Years.  I answered in the negative to all her questions, save one.  The end result is I'm in pretty good shape for a geezer, with that one exception: the emphysema that's going to kill me.

How ironic.  It looks like I'm gonna die healthy.  Cue up Alanis.

11 comments:

  1. I like the second picture of the phone out of order. Use a cell phone to call sacramento, really?
    Do not call the local kill yourself program, you have to call sacramento, to save you. How long would it take to get a person from sacramento down to sf to save you? Well, this IS mexaforina for ya. Moonbeam IS in chanrge, die now and avoid the rush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buck - was there any, ahem, clarification on the alcohol intake issue?

    i shall walk away now, quietly, tip-toeing panther-like

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon: They won't drive down, they'll keep you on the line until the bridge police can throw a net over ya.

    Kris: You've no doubt heard that ol' sayin'... "Don't ask the question if you can't stand the answer?", right? And our gub'mint guarantees my right to remain silent on this and many other things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MissBirdlegs in AL04 April, 2011 15:06

    Hey! Before I forget or before the storms get so bad I have to turn off the computer, good luck on the eye-cutting tomorrow!!

    I got those same ironic pics this weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Katy... and I hope your storms blow over harmlessly and soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thoughts and prayers for a surgeon's steady hand tomorrow Buck. We'll all be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Deb. I'm thinkin' the "no alcohol 24 hours before surgery" thing should apply to the surgeon, not the patient. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your surgery tomorrow Buck, the only folks I know of that have had eye surgery all had "successful outcomes", including 1 daughter. Still I remember the basket of nerves I had and nobody said that dads can't take their sorrows out for a swim.

    You might want to take a black marker to your face and write an arrow to "this one needs the work".
    That's what I'd do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I figure they ask those question, but don't really care about the answers. Good luck with your surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Didn't realize it was time for your surgery already. Good luck. You'll do fine; I bet you leave the doctor's office staff laughing with your witty comments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You might want to take a black marker to your face and write an arrow to "this one needs the work".

    Funny you should mention that, Marc. I had to do just that as part of the OR prep work... and I told the nurse about your comment.

    Lou: Strangely enough, one of the prep nurses was the woman I talked to yesterday and she remembered me. Srsly.

    Red: I DID get a few grins with various witticisms. I can't help myself...

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.