Sunday, December 05, 2010

Some Days You Just Can't Win

We're just back from our bi-weekly beer and commissary run out to Cannon Airplane Patch and we were looking forward to another episode of "Broadening Our Horizons" with a Lips of Faith Sour Brown Ale which looks like the pic on the right, below.  But we won't be able to do so because of the weirdest turn of events.  To wit, this:


That, Gentle Reader, is a hole right DEAD center in the bottle cap.  I loaded the beer right up close to the passenger compartment firewall in the trunk, as I always do.  I felt a slight "ping" when I shut the trunk lid but thought nothing of it... until I got home and began unloading my groceries.  I noticed the trunk smelled a lot like beer and I had the briefest "uh-oh" sort of thought.  But a cursory examination revealed no broken bottles in the bags... so where was the smell coming from?  

All was revealed once I got indoors.  Apparently the hinge pin on the trunk latch caught the bottle of La Folie right dead center in the bottle cap, punching a neat lil hole in it.  Although the bottle remained upright during the trip home, the to and fro motion of my exuberant driving was enough to cause half of the bottle's contents to leak into the bag it was in, along with a significant amount which leaked out of the bag and on to the trunk's carpeting.  Sigh.

Well, that's that.  I'm afraid to drink the beer for fear there might be small glass particles therein.  So... it looks like I just threw away 14 Yankee dollars.  It sure smelled good, tho.

Update, 1338 hrs:  I decided to drink what was left, after all.  I uncapped the bottle and felt around the lip to find no jagged edges, so I think I'm safe.  It's pretty danged good, even considering the fact I'm drinking it at room temperature.  That's no big deal... we DID live in Ol' Blighty for three years.

11 comments:

  1. When we were kids we would take an ice-pick and poke a hole in our Coke bottle lids (similar to the hole in your beer) and drink them that way. I don't know why we did that, but it seemed fun at the time. I never worried about glass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to do that to Coke bottles, too! I made them fizzier.

    Man -- yesterday was a bummer. At least you got to enjoy the beer without having to wring it out of the carpet into a mug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, that beer cost $14??? At the commissary?? Holy mud, Moses!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's some pretty pricey beer. I came by your site because Daphne at Jaded Haven recommended you. Thanks for your service.

    She also said you were good with Blogspot in case I needed any help.

    I'm at:
    http://www.thecompostfiles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lou and Moogie: I'd never heard of punching holes in coke bottle tops before. Who'd a thunk it?

    And Moogie... I was NOT at all pleased about having to clean up the carpet. That beer is bright RED, yanno?

    Kath: Yeah... I've posted about that before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for dropping by, Moshe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you went ahead and drank it .

    When I had a tragic accident opening a bottle of really good rye whiskey over here - the bottleneck had cracked in shipment, and the top third of the bottle broke off when I tried to pull the cork - a quick-thinking friend, who was at the house to help me drink the rye, ran into the kitchen and got a funnel and a couple of coffee filters.

    We decanted the rye quite safely into another container, saving two-thirds of it.

    Neat trick to remember if you are ever in a similar situation again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not that I take pity in another person's misery, but it is good to know that I'm not the only person who this sort of thing happens to.

    Glad you were able to salvage the suds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heh! Maybe TGH finally got jealous, and decided to steal a swig for herself.

    Yeah, we punched holes in coke caps, too. Can't remember why...probably because there was nothing else to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quite the cool coincidence, in a way, that it poked the one spot where it would leak but still be drinkable. At least you got an interesting blog post out of it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. To not drink it would have been alcohol abuse, glad you took care of it!

    I saw you on your beer run. And I waved. But alas, you didn't see me. ;) Maybe next time! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.