Sunday, May 23, 2010

A Quickie

I was browsing the back pages of Beer Haiku Daily this morning and came across this gem:
Seeking out wheat beers
That go well with my porch swing
As the weather warms
Wheat beer IS the perfect summer drink.  Too bad I didn't have this for yesterday's post about Sammy Adams' Coastal Wheat.   Too bad I don't have a porch swing, too.  Or a porch.  

I used to have a home-built swing for two that was suspended under this huge oak tree (50 feet tall, or so) at my place in Oklahoma.  The swing was made out of some old park bench-like thing... I inherited it when I bought the house.  I spent more than a few quiet summer evenings around sunset in that swing, drinking Labatts... the beer of choice at the time.   I loved watching my three dogs romp and stomp all over the place until it got totally dark... at which time they would come lay under the swing and keep us company until it was time to go indoors.   Good times.

8 comments:

  1. Wheat beer IS the perfect summer drink.

    Reluctantly, I have to agree. I'm normally content to stick with my bitter stuff in the green bottle with the cute chickie on the label, for all occasions, shunning the fruities and oatmeals and darks, so strong is my preference for the German stuff that bites back.

    But at a certain point, variety becomes the spice of life. And on a nice lazy summer day with your imaginary porch swing, dogs playing, maybe someone curvy and cute in a pair of Daisy Dukes bringing me a bowl of fresh-cubed pineapple & ham...yeah a nice wheat ale goes pretty good with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah... that Pauli Girl serves good beer, granted. But I'm glad ya agree -- Wheat beer is where it's at... for the summertime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't have the porch swing, yet, but soon. In the meantime, the cool shade of the house and wheat beer does sound perfect. Wheat beer and Okies just seem to go together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lou: I wasn't drinkin' much wheat beer when I lived in OKC. I should have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Labatts. How about that. Several days ago, you did a post about happy hour and your beer (I forget which one it was) of the day and the cigar. I've sampled some unusal stuff over the years including everything from Grolsch to Old English Malt liquor (ugh) but for the last decade or so had settled into Miller Lite. I know, it's vapid, etc. But your post inspired me to try something different. So, last time at the market, I looked through their selection and for no particular reason picked out a six pack of Labatts Blue Light. I'd had Molson before but never Labatts. Best beer with food I've ever tasted. Best beer period. So out with the Miller and in with the Labatts. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So out with the Miller and in with the Labatts. Thanks for the inspiration.

    My work here is done. I can now pass on, a happy man. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh. Dogs and swings. I think I'll get off the computer and go get my dogs out of hock from the kennel! And look for some Labatts for the ol' man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Moogie: It's good to be home, eh?

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.