Monday, May 17, 2010

Linkage

A couple o' few days ago I posted Richard Thompson's "1952 Vincent Black Lightning"... another heavy artillery barrage in the Great Guitar War of 2010.  Which is now over, due to the fact that the pacifists took to the streets... singin' songs and carryin' signs, mostly saying hooray for our side (apologies, Mr. Stills)... demanding disarmament, peace, flowers, and love.  But no dope, as near as I can figger.  Pacifists just aren't what they USED to be, back in the day.  So.  The war is over.  And we ALL won, as I noted elsewhere.  But now it's swords into plowshares, and all that.

So, it's back to the topic at hand... which is songs about mo'sickles... now that our longish and somewhat petulant digression is finished.  Former belligerent turned showman Dan posted a rejoinder to my Black Lightning post, which is a veritable tour de force with much tasty linkage and two embedded alternate takes on Mr. Thompson's masterpiece.  I literally spent well over half an hour, mebbe more, on this one post and I highly recommend it.  There be tons of Good Stuff there...

Now... for what it's worth (heh)... old hippies in Former Happy Days.



There WERE lotsa drugs there.

4 comments:

  1. Yes. There were most certainly. Lotsa Drugs!!!!!
    Oops. Past showing through a bit. I should let the sleeping dogs lie, should I not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buck, Thanks for the link and the kind words. A big thanks also for spotting that faulty link which I've changed now.

    After looking at the vid in your post and listening to Buffalo Sproutfield (heh), maybe I made a mistake by changing guitar "war" to "show." They were "happy" days for sure, and a lot of it is laughable in retrospect, but some of that stuff almost makes me retch now (probably guilt). As for changing guitar war to show, something Andy said in a comment made me wonder if maybe by using "war" I was overcompensating for my old academic liberal antiwar hippy 60's-70's self. Now your post makes me wonder if changing the name just affirms that old self. Que sera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glenn: I hear ya. I usually skip lightly over this topic, too. ;-)

    Dan: My tongue was mostly in my cheek with this post. Mostly. On a serious note... I was HIGHLY conflicted back in that time. On the one hand I'd made a decision to be career military, OTOH my politics were liberal-left at that time, as were those of most people my age (mid-20s). Thank The Deity At Hand we live in the USA, coz my political views were tolerated by my superiors, even laughed at... all in good fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BEST LINE EVER..."Mostly Say Hooray for our side"

    That is one of those that hit home with me, no matter which side of the isle(right or left) we were on.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.