Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Today

A couple o' weeks ago I mentioned I was kinda-sorta worried about finding a doctor who would accept Medicare now that (a) I'm of a certain age and have been forcefully enrolled in that fine gub'mint program and (b) the USAF will only provide me with medical care on a "space available" basis.  Well I needn't have worried as it turns out, at least as far as (a) is concerned.  I'm still mightily displeased with (b), but it is what it is.  I rang up the clinic here in Portales, which is attached to the very fine looking and generally impressive Roosevelt County General Hospital (most impressive because they have a steel-enclosed "safe room" that I use when tornadoes are in the immediate area) and found there were several doctors accepting new Medicare patients... no problema!  

So... there we were... making our inquiries.  The kind administrative lady on the other end of the phone rattled off several names to me... two of which were female... asking if I had any preference.  She also took the time to explain to me that the doctors with the Christian names of "Janet" and "Barbara" were women... and might I have a problem with that?  Not really... both names were fine with me and who among us gets to choose their first name, anyway?  (I didn't really say that.)  I answered in the negative and suggested she assign me to whichever doctor had the lightest patient load, which would only make sense from my point of view and that of the doctor, I'm sure.  And so the deal was done.

I'm off for my "get acquainted" appointment in about an hour and my new doctor is male, by the way.  I might have made a mistake here now that I think about it.  I've more than likely blown my only opportunity to get naked in front of a woman again, ever.  Damn.

11 comments:

  1. On the other hand, the female Doc could have turned out to be someone you don't want to be naked in front of...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude! Just go to WalMart, and strip down. Nobody will think it odd, and I'm sure the ladies will love it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooops! My comment got eaten. That's okay...it wasn't all that funny anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your doctor visit went well, that they let you leave without too much of the -- uh -- you know, up close and personal examination stuff. But that's kinda why you went, right? Oh, well.

    And besides, there are certainly female doctors, nurses, technicians there that will maybe let you take your clothes off!!

    The two doctors I have been lucky enough to find, I've been seeing for years. And the BEST thing about each of them -- for me, anyway -- is that they are sooooo calm. Even as they're telling you terrible stuff and then sending you for MORE tests, they are soooooo calm. Works for me!!

    And aren't you supposed to be seeing the Young Buck today?

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's way lots of doctoring going on lately, huh.

    Have fun NOT playing doctor!

    I'm not telling you what the veriword is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. BR: Aren't ALL female docs hotties, by definition? Don't be shattering my illusions, Sir! ;-)

    Andy: We shall mull over the Wal-Mart option. But then again, I wouldn't wanna make a guest appearance on "People of Wal-Mart."

    In that regard, I'm willing to bet you've some delights left in life.

    Heh. You have more faith than I, Jim.

    Kath: The doc visit went well, thank ya, and I'm pleased with the new guy. Good bedside manner and all that. Funny, too. And yes, there WILL be beer and cigars this evening!!

    Moogie: MY doctoring was much more sedate than yours, thank The Deity At Hand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Call me a sexist (and no, that's not what I put down when the form asks for "Religious Affiliation:") but having had experience with numerous physicians over the years, It Is My Humble Opinion that female physicians listen better. So I seek them out whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Buck Naked?" In front of teh wimmin' ? OMG! Hide the children and small animals! Some things are better left to the imagination. LOL!! (And *I* should know-thank God the "George Jettson"-style futuristic form-fitting, skin-tight togs haven't become the rage yet as futurists predicted!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always wondered about the etymology of the phrase "buck naked".

    Now I know.

    (ducks, runs)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...It Is My Humble Opinion that female physicians listen better.

    That's true of women in general, no? My admittedly limited experience with doctors has been uniformly positive, with no consideration for gender. My last Primary Care physician with the AF was female, and she was good. My new guy is male and he appears to be good, based on my first encounter. We shall see.

    Virgil: We have no fear of Jetson-clothing, should it come to that. I'm still a lean mean fightin' machine, LOL! Mebbe TOO lean, but I think that's better than the opposite pendulum swing. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.