Monday, April 05, 2010

Awards and Decs

I spent a good long time on the phone with SN1 last evening and am pleased to report he's back on US soil, safe and sound.  He'll be doin' those things one usually does at the end of a deployment today and tomorrow and then he flies into P-Ville (well, Lubbock, actually) Wednesday afternoon for a brief two-day leave.  Rest assured there will be celebratory beer-drinkin' and cigar smokin' in the near future.

So... part and parcel of our discussions last evening revolved around the award of decorations and medals for war-zone tours these days.  I won't go into detail in this space as far as Buck is concerned, except to say his commander is on a personal sort of mission to reverse the medal-creep trend which is polluting the Air Force.  This is a Great Good Thing in the macro sense yet has obvious impact on the troops in the Good Colonel's charge.  Which is to say that ALL commanders need to sign on to the effort, not just some... if stopping the medal-creep is worthwhile.  And it is.

Which brings up a war story, of sorts, that I related to Buck last evening.  It was usual and customary back in the day...we're talking over 25 years ago... to receive an award upon completing a tour of duty and moving on to one's next assignment... assuming, of course, that you'd actually done something to merit an award.  And that's still the practice in Today's Modern Air Force, which is why the subject of awards and decs came up last evening.  

So... there I was... winding down my penultimate USAF assignment at lovely RAF Uxbridge, with orders in hand for Tinker AFB, OK.  My commander told me he was putting me in for a Meritorious Service Medal (MSM) and needed the usual, customary, and reasonable write-up concerning my glorious achievements... such as they were... while serving as his Chief of Programs.  I told him I would get right on it and had a one page list of about 12 bullet points on his desk in about an hour's time.
"Not good enough" sez the Good Major.

"What do you want?" sez I, in reply.

"I want the citation write-up... the whole nine yards" sez he.

"Ummm... isn't that YOUR job?" sez I.

"Not if you want the medal" sez he.
Well.  To cut to the chase:  I didn't want it that bad and I never provided the citation.  I also didn't get the medal.  As a matter of fact I didn't get any-goddamned-thing out of that assignment, which pissed me off no small amount.  My point was this:  I was still naïve enough to think gentlemen did NOT toot their own horn, ever.  And I stood by my principles.

Fast forward about six or eight months... I'm at my new assignment at Tinker AFB and was called into the Chief's office for a little chat.  "So tell me, Buck... why didn't you get a medal out of Uxbridge?"  I related the whole ugly story to the Chief who sat there and listened politely.  When I was finished he looked at me and said "You dumb-ass.  You might as well put your papers in, you're done."  This coming just after I had been passed over for SMSgt (E-8) for the first time... and which the Chief believed was, in part, because of no dec out of my last assignment.  I mulled that lil conversation over for a while and submitted my retirement papers a few months later.  The Chief was right:  I was done.

So.  Buck got a good laugh out of the story and noted that things hadn't changed one bit in the intervening 25 years or so.  As for me... I learned that lesson and NEVER missed an opportunity to toot my own horn during my civilian career.  When asked and when required, of course.  There ARE limits.

Oh.  I did get my MSM eventually... when I retired.


I didn't write the citation, either.

18 comments:

  1. I think being sent to Tinker was some sort of punishment on top of not getting the medal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buck, as one who never served in the military, I speak from true ignorance here. (So, what else is new, huh?)

    A couple of things. I am one that (finally) learned at about 30 years old that tootin' one's own horn is not attractive at all. Of course, I did it often before that...and have a few times since. I'm not proud of that at all, and I struggle still...often fail.

    The idea of bragging on one's own self seems most arrogant. Kinda like the old "respect is not demanded, it's commanded" (or something like that) deal. But, you don't look much worse for the wear in that last photo.

    Bitchin' haircut!

    I'm so glad Major Buck made it back to home soil. Please give him our thanks, and best.

    Lubbock...probably a real treat for a guy that's been eating sand for several months. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's home, he's home, he's home!!!!

    Oh, your story is nice, too. But your fabulous son is back!! (One of them, anyway.) He's home, he's home, he's home!!!

    How WONDERFUL for him, for his wife and kids, for you, for everyone. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Home!!!!!
    Cigars and beer are definitely in order!

    I'm afraid that Medal creep isn't isolated to the Air Force --- gets pretty ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buck, Give the SN1 my best wishes on his return. I am glad he is home safe and sound.

    I would have done the same as you had if I had been in your shoes. The job of the "higher ups" is to take care of the troops actually doing the work, the enlisted that is. I know I was never asked in the Navy and I know at one point my command wanted dearly to reward me by meritorious promotion but they could not, so they settled for a NAM (Navy Achievement Medal, and NO I did not have to write the citation to get it). Today the Navy gives those things away to the point they almost don't mean anything, like the Good Conduct Medal. So, I am with your Son's commander and just showing up is no reason to be decorated. Getting shot at well, that's a whole different ball game.

    BT: Jimmy T sends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh....welcome home to SN1 with thanks once again for the sacrifices he and his family make for this country.

    Buck - I don't blame you for not writing the citation. It's like asking an employee to write their annual review and bonus recommendation...

    ReplyDelete
  7. MissBirdlegs in AL05 April, 2010 17:33

    So glad to hear SN1 is home. I imagine the celebrations will be terrific! Please give him a hug and many thanks from me & mine. His family (including you) are due our thanks also. Good on all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am relieved that SN1 is back... safely with his family. This outsider also thanks him for his services.

    Interesting story. As a defence contractor - the first thing they taught me was to toot your own horn because no one else will do it for you - especially should you want a promotion. There are ways of doing it without being a royal pain in the ass - and there is nothing wrong to be be proud of your accomplishments without doing so at the expenses of others.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Buck, glad to hear SN1 is back.

    As to awards...this is a topic that still gets my hackles up. By the time I retired, it reminded me of the character that Carrol O'Connor played in Kelly's Heroes. "Where's my box of medals?" It seemed like a race to see which CO could give out the most.

    My Father served in the Navy from 1961 to 1984. The highest personal award he ever received was an Admiral's letter. That's just the way it was.

    Me? I retired with 3 Navy Commendation and 5 Navy Achievement Medal's. I say that not to brag, but to point out how ludicrous it had become. How the hell could one man earn those in 20 years without being at war. Quite honestly they became meaningless.

    I still remember arguing with the CO over the last NAM. I was a Senior Chief, and needed the damn thing like a hole in the head. I told him to give it to one of the blue shirts, who could use the promotion points. I may as well have talking to the bulkhead. Pinhead.

    Sorry for the extended rant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I forgot to say how great it is that SN1 is home. I know your visit will be great. Beer, cigars, and lots of talk! Be sure and throw in a few hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Got nominated for the Navy Achievement Medal on four separate occasions. Never got one, and I did write the citations. And I didn't even get the courtesy NAM upon retirement. I know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really pleased your son is home safe and sound.

    Does seem strange that you have to pen your own write up. I cannot glean from what you wrote whether you were sad to leave or not?

    And great pic

    (ps I checked and there are no comments of yours over at mine caught up in spam so not sure what happened there)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I know exactly what you mean. There is honor involved, and it grates across your soul, even though you know how the system is gamed and played.

    I don't blame you a bit. I remember how much time was spent rewording APRs to make sure they fit exactly into the blank space on the form. And how, with a critical word or two (nothing that was false, just a change in tone) a CO could effectively end a career.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I stopped at the Navy Recruiting Office in Wichita just a bit before the move. I needed a coffee cup. The young, and I mean YOUNG MM1(SW/AW) that was there on his first tour of shore duty had four NAMS. Fer the love of all that is sacred, what in blazes is going on?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I completely agree with your rumble listed above.

    I refused to write nonsense for my own horn blowing edification. The few medals I picked up were written by others, and for that matter are meaningless in the grand scheme. A better testament is the fact that four people who worked for me gained direct commissions.

    The only medals that matter are the direct action/valor medals.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Andy says..."I'm so glad Major Buck made it back to home soil. Please give him our thanks, and best."
    Me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. First of all... thank you all for your kind words about Buck being home. I'm sure he'll read your comments eventually but he's sorta busy at the moment.

    Lou: Being sent to Tinker WAS punishment of a sort. We arrived in July after three years in London where the temperature might have hit the mid-80s once or twice. We nearly died...

    Andy: We're on the same page. I think that has a lil bit to do with us both being raised by southern mommas.

    Cynthia: The AF is the worst offender in the medal creep game. That's the impression I get from looking at various general officers' bio pics, anyhoo. Although the Army is a close second.

    JimmyT sez: Today the Navy gives those things away to the point they almost don't mean anything, like the Good Conduct Medal.

    I was surprised to learn it took an O-6 to approve a NAM until 2002, when the approving authority changed to any ship captain or squadron commander (The Wiki is a wonderful thing). That would account for proliferation of that particular award.

    Kris sez: It's like asking an employee to write their annual review and bonus recommendation...

    You might be surprised at just how common that is, Kris. I can understand a boss asking for input just to make sure he doesn't leave anything out in a performance review... I always did. But I did my own writing. I had bosses in civilian life as well as the military that asked me to do the work, believe it or don't.

    Katy: Thank ya, Ma'am!

    KC: You're oh-so-right about the "there are ways..." bits.

    BR: Your Dad and I were contemporaries, then! He came in two years before I did but left a year earlier. Interesting!

    As for the rest of your comments -- we're pretty much on the same page. Feel free to take as much space as you want in comments... Google has all the disk space in the world (but comments do have limits, don't ask how I know). ;-)

    Glenn: I think you got shafted, to be kind. But having to have an O-6 approve the NAM might have had something to do with that. I hear ya about that MM1.

    Alison sez: I cannot glean from what you wrote whether you were sad to leave or not?

    It was time to go, Alison. One is ALWAYS sad when a good thing ends... and I might have stuck around for another couple of years had I received that next promotion. But given the way things turned out I'm glad I left when I did. No regrets!

    Gordon sez: I remember how much time was spent rewording APRs to make sure they fit exactly into the blank space on the form. And how, with a critical word or two (nothing that was false, just a change in tone) a CO could effectively end a career.

    Oh, HELL yes! There is most definitely a code involved and learning the code is all-important, both for you and your subordinates.

    Darryl: Agreed, especially on four of your guys crossing over to the O-side.

    Dawn: Thank ya, Ma'am!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, I'm proud of you, whatever that counts for. You did exactly what I would have done given a similar situation. Maybe I'm a dumbass, too, but I think you get more from self-respect than if you had written it up yourself.

    If there were more like you in all walks of life, we'd have a lot less problems, my friend. A lot less.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.