Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Homecoming

Tonite's the night our Intrepid Flyboy returns to The High Plains of New Mexico.  Rest assured there WILL be beer-drinkin' and cigar-smokin' as I indicated a couple o' few days ago.  We'll probably break out the single-malt, too.

Sooo... I thought I'd put up a re-run from more than a few years back in Buck's honor:

Flightline, Cannon AFB, NM. Left to Right: Major (now Lt Col) Heatherington, pilot , 1Lt (now Capt. Major) Ivan (Buck) Pennington, and Your Humble Scribe (still a retired MSgt). Number One Son isn't a pilot, he was honored as Cannon AFB's Junior Officer of the Year Quarter (see the comments) back in 2003, and an F-16 incentive flight was part of the award package. This was his second incentive flight, the first was in an F-111 while he was stationed at RAF Lakenheath, UK.

Two flights in a front-line combat aircraft. Jeez, I'm jealous! I spent 22 years in the USAF and the only aircraft I flew in were the C-47, C-130, and the C-141. What's that you say? C-47?
Yep, C-47. We had a few left in the inventory during my early days. I'm old, ya know.
There's something of a back-story associated with this event but we won't tell tales out of school.  (insert big-ass grin here)


Update:  The above is a "before" shot to complement the "after" of Col. Heatherington and Buck after their flight.

12 comments:

  1. Very cool pics, Buck. Thanks for sharing and have much fun tonight.

    And thanks to your son for his service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Handsome men, all. Heatherington and Pennington - aren't those just names that scream high ranking military.

    Welcome home to SN1! A joyous evening ahead I'm sure - and by all means break out that single malt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I'm happy for you Buck! A day for celebration all around...

    Tell Major Buck he needs to go back to posting when he's got time. He's got his Daddy's knack for turning a phrase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Small-Tee. Most appreciated!

    Kris sez: Heatherington and Pennington - aren't those just names that scream high ranking military.

    Well, mebbe for two out of three, LOL! But thanks for the thought, Kris! ;-)

    Andy: I'll relay your comment about his blogging to Buck, FWIW. I've been on him about this for a while, but oh-so-gently. And thanks for your other comment, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Congratulations to Buck, Jr. for completing a successful mission! Thank him for his service, Buck. And enjoy the celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just all aflutter over all these handsome men!!

    You guys have fun tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to one and all Penningtons! Welcome home to #1 and a big sigh of relief for Dad!

    Thanks to SN1 for service extraordinaire; single malts until the smoking lamp goes out for the crew. And when the smoking lamp goes out is in Buck's discretion!

    Ditto on the posting by SN1, though. Just sayin'.

    Grand and glorious day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank ya, Ladies. A good time most certainly was had by all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I flew the KC-135 several times, and the C-9 a few times. I did get to fly the F-4 simulator.

    I had a deal set up to fly on a C-141 from March AFB to Hawaii, Fiji, Australia and New Zealand, then back again two weeks later. But at the last minute, I couldn't get the leave. After all the extra shifts I worked to let other folks have leave, that just pissed me off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow... missing out on that trip really sucks, Gordon. I can see where you'd been REALLY pissed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah...supposedly at Alice Springs the plane had to do a low pass first to clear the critters from the runway before landing. Oh well...it's not like someone didn't warn me about the difference between what you want, and what the Air Force wants.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.