Monday, April 12, 2010

Side Effects

I've always found the imagery in this ad bizarre if not downright creepy:



The very idea of a luminescent butterfly flitting about the bedroom is disturbing but that's just the beginning of it.  The ad above is old and I can't find the current ad anywhere on these inter-tubes.  The thing that gets me is the current ad's litany of side-effects, which are considerable.  Here are some I found (embedded links in text removed):
These include, but are not limited to:
  • Chest pain
  • Anxiety or nervousness
  • Suicidal thoughts (see Suicide by Lunesta)
  • Confusion
  • More outgoing or aggressive behavior than normal
  • Strange behavior
  • Depression (see Lunesta and Depression)
  • Hallucinations (seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not really there)
  • Signs of an allergic reaction, including unexplained rash, itching, hives, wheezing or trouble breathing, or unexplained swelling.
I understand the FDA's mandate for listing side-effects and I also understand these things occur in a very small percentage of subjects in clinical trials.  Still and even... I damned sure wouldn't take any drug that might include the highlighted effects, however small that possibility may be.  

The current ad also mentions somnambulism as a problem, including driving while on Lunesta and not remembering you did so.  Yikes!  The caution about not mixing alcohol and Lunesta would be kinda problematic for YrHmblScrb, as well.  And there's always that damned luminescent butterfly.  Which is not a problem according to some people, or it shouldn't be...




Heh.

10 comments:

  1. Looney-esta. I personally think that I might rather go without sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m with ya’, Buck. I always get a big kick out of the commercials advertising some drug with a litany of side effects. Man, I’d rather deal with the “disease” than the cure, thankyouverymuch. (Though some hallucinations could be fun for ole time sake).


    Unrelated; enjoyed the Wisc./BC game on Sat. night. Final score was misleading of the competitive game is was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh! The older I get the more trouble I have getting 6 or 7 solid. But, I really am cautions of even an Excedrin PM, OTC pill.

    You wrote, "The caution about not mixing alcohol and Lunesta would be kinda problematic for YrHmblScrb, as well." Well...I don't even take a preventative baby aspirin...for the same reason. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always astounded at the list of side effects for some of these drugs - and not just the sleep aids.

    Like anyone will want to take them with the litany of potential issues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MissBirdlegs in AL12 April, 2010 19:58

    I feel exactly the same, Buck. Any medication I've seen advertised has such a long list of bizarre and scary side effects, I don't think you could pay me enough to take any of them. I think I might just take my chances with nothing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilarious!

    I always thought those commercials were creepy, too.

    Also, in Native American imagery, isn't the butterfly a symbol of death?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Tim, I suspect I'd rather live with most ailments, as opposed to the side effects of the drugs that treat them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a few commenters have mentioned; I really enjoy the fine print on those commercials, especially the latest drug for fibromyalgia, whatever that is.

    The chief thing I hear is.. Suicidal thoughts.
    Liver or kidney malfunction
    unexplained pain.

    Huh?

    I call those feelings "Saturday Morning".

    YMMV.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Staci: Agreed.

    Small Tee sez: Unrelated; enjoyed the Wisc./BC game on Sat. night. Final score was misleading of the competitive game is was.

    I really enjoyed that game as well and I'm remiss for not blogging it. It really was close... well, sorta... score-wise, at least... until the third when BC busted it wide open. I was amazed Wisconsin pulled their goalie with over five minutes left... but I suppose that's the difference between the college game and the pros. HIGHLY entertaining, that was!

    Andy sez: Well...I don't even take a preventative baby aspirin...for the same reason. ;)

    I do the aspirin thing. And vitamins. And one other med. But that's IT.

    Kris: I hear ya. Some of the side-effects are most definitely scary.

    Katy: Me too.

    Phlegmmy: re: "Also, in Native American imagery, isn't the butterfly a symbol of death?" I'll take your word for that! ;-)

    BR: We all seem to be on that page.

    Darryl: Heh. Some Saturdays feel like that in these parts. It used to be a lot worse but I've slowed down in my dotage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Phlegm: actually in Native American culture, the Butterfly totem means the following:

    Metamorphosis, transformation, balnace, grace, ability to accept change

    Thank goodness because butterflies are very important symbols to me. I'd hate them to mean death! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.