Sunday, April 11, 2010

Today's Happy Hour Soundtrack

This song has been covered by lots and lots of folks... Bonnie Raitt does it better than most:



But the version we heard while sitting our Old Ass outside some minutes ago was this one:



Ah... Ol' Joe is brilliant on this tune.  I loves me some Joe Cocker -- he's done some positively brilliant work over the years and might possibly be an acquired taste... like fine single-malt.  That said, there's too much extraneous chat in the clip above.  Less chat and more music is where we're at today.  And now... all that said... here's the original:



Blind Faith's take... being the original... is arguably still the best version of this tune.  We break this song out whenever we're feeling philosophical and today is just that sort of day... given our skies are gray (both literally and metaphorically) and spitting rain on our parade.  So here we be... just inside, slightly wet, half-wasted, and wonderin' if we shall ever "find our way home..."  

I doubt it.

6 comments:

  1. I gotta agree... Winwood's solo work from the 80s on is pretty danged good stuff. "Roll with it, Baby!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck of a good tune, no matter which version. It does lend itself nicely to a bit of (self-inflicted, and not entirely unpleasant) melancholia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd listen to any of 'em, but I would probably vote for the last one if somebody made me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Cocker myself. I think you turned me on to him when we were at Sinop. To me, he is similar to Leon Russel who remains as one of my most favorites. Leon jams over in Destin quite often but I've never been able to catch him. Great Air Show at Eglin this past weekend. I saw most of it Friday from the roof of the Clab. T"Birds came screaming over the top of me. What a rush. F-22 is astounding in what it can do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any way you slice it, the song is superb. Have always loved it, even when I was a little girl.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.