Monday, March 15, 2010

Feh

The rest o' the world may be on Daylight Saving Time but we remain trapped in Standard Time, and we're not liking it at all.  We've yet to really get into our Daily Rounds and are only about half-way into our first cup.  I suspect my mood will improve once I'm fully caffeinated and have read the offerings my bright shiny Blog-Buds put up every day.  I hope.  Don't be lettin' me down, Blog-Buds.  Just don't.

Looking out on the morning rain ain't doing my mood any wonders, either.  (BTW... Thankya, Ms. King.  See this if'n ya don't know from whence I speak.  Her version of that tune is The Best, too.  Which takes nothing away from 'Retha.)  (We are the Prince o' Digressions.)  Here's the Official WX Status here on The High Plains:


Which depresses me even more, as I have to get out in this krep once I've fortified myownself.  That, or risk having my internet account terminated, which would be a catastrophe of unimaginable proportions.  In other words... today is the due date for said bill.  Now we normally don't wait until the very last minute to settle up our obligations as a matter of course.  No, we don't.  That said, there are some bills I like to pay in person and my ISP is one, given as how my ISP is Yucca Telecom, a small-town sorta bid'niz and not at ALL like the megaliths I used to deal with.  Dropping in to Yucca and chatting with the nice folks there is fun, or as much fun as bill-paying can be.  I went by there Friday to drop a Grant and a Lincoln or two on those fine folks but they were closed.   There was this hand-lettered sign on the door saying "Yucca Telecom will be closed all day Friday March 12, 2010 so our employees can attend the funeral of XXX, our beloved friend and co-worker.  Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience."

Small towns.  Gotta love 'em.

Just so's your visit to these parts ain't a total downer, Gentle Reader, there this:  a new to me website called "Smashing Lists."  And more specifically the portion of said site devoted to Odd Stuff.  Like this:
The Kimberley Diamond Mine (also known as the Big Hole) holds the (disputed) title of being the largest hand-dug hole in the world.
That's from the Top Ten Strange Holes list.  There's more (and arguably better, like the "Nature" section) at Smashing Lists, which I found to be a serious time waster.

Update, 1400 hrs:  Good Friend Kath sends along an article noting the time change is dangerous for all involved.  Part of my response:
The study also says the time change increases other risks, like heart-attacks and car accidents.

Aiiieee!

Heh.  I'm just in from running the days errands and noticed there aren't many smiling faces being displayed today.  It might be the time change, or it might be the weather... which is none too nice.  Just an observation... but it seems I ain't the only grump in P-Ville today.
Heart attacks.  One begins to worry about such things when one reaches a certain age.  Not that we're there yet, of course.  Just sayin'.

16 comments:

  1. Some of those lists are downright creepy.

    I do like the huge diamond mines though...for what they produce of course. Those things being a girl's best friend and all...

    Weather here is improving - it's still raining however at least the howling winds have abated, for now.

    Later today we're in for the joy-filled experience of rain and wet snow coupled with the howling winds again.

    Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny - I'll believe it when I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a great day and get everything sorted Buck. Hit me up with your address Buck please. I'll mail you some British classics (HP sauce etc) I have. Hopefully you enjoy getting parcels of goodies. I know I do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snow? Wow.

    Happy Happy Hour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill paying got hard today because my company forgot to pay me. I'm going to raise a lot of he!! with them tomorrow. They can pay the late fee on my mortgage and some other bills. I am never late except when I started with this company.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MissBirdlegs in AL15 March, 2010 15:10

    Article says "more time to enjoy the sunlight"... I'm not really sure the sun will ever shine again. :-) We're still having rain, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kris: Yea, there's some serious weirdness at that site. I liked the bed sheets. Heh.

    Good to hear your WX is improving. Ours is NOT.

    Alison: I LOVE getting goodies in the mail! I'll fire off my addy in a note soon.

    Moogie: Yep, snow. It's all around us as we speak, but not yet upon us. Freezing rain, too. Oh, Goodie.

    RLM: THAT sucks!

    Katy: We had SUCH a brilliant weekend, and now this. (sigh) I feel yore pain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buck, the itsy bitsy town in SW OK that I used to live in had a really unusual bill paying system. You paid EVERYTHING (except for TV) at the City Office. In one payment, then they distributed it around. One time, though, I got home about 10 p.m., in the summer, approximately 155 degrees F, and I had absolutely no utilities. Called them the next morning. They'd made a mistake and turned it all off. But, being a small town, they were at the house in 2 minutes, turning everything back on, with sheepish looks on their mugs. :) God bless 'em.

    WV: harma. After a night in that heat, I felt harma-d. (harmed)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh... I HEAR ya about that kinda heat, Staci. I've experienced Oklahoma summers and it ain't no picnic. But... good on those folks who restored ya the following morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hate to be a wet blanket, Buck, but I was so ready for DST. I've been out to ride the horse, mix grain, fill waters, and now I'm in the house. The beauty of this? It's still light out...

    Cheer up, my friend. You'll get your mojo back soon enough with a few happy hours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. virgil xenophon15 March, 2010 20:36

    As I said,Buck,Beware the Ides of March! ('Course you have only a few more hours to sweat it out :) )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, memories of Air Force shift work. No one wanted to be working the night DST kicked in, but the night it went off was a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The hole pics were very interesting. Between Questa and Red River, there is the Moly Mine. As tall as you see the mountain from the highway, the hole on the other side is as deep. I have flown over it and it is amazing.

    It was dreary here yesterday, but no rain.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm kinda with Dave. I love DST, always have. I'll admit the first couple of days aren't a blast, but I likes it.

    I would tell you what the weather is like in NW Louisiana, but I probably had better not. ;)

    Heh! WV: rednek

    ReplyDelete
  14. BR: As noted above, I like DST, come June. But my ol' body (and weak mind) is having a devil of a time with the change this year.

    VX: The Ides passed uneventfully, thank The Deity At Hand. But we WERE watchful. ;-)

    Gordon: Don't you have that backwards? There's one less hour to work in Spring, one MORE in the Fall. And mids were the frickin' WORST. I hated, hated, hated that shift... and I did five straight years of shift-work on a "nine and three" schedule (3 mids, 3 days, 3 swings, 72 hours off). Sucked, that did.

    Lou: Our weather left A LOT to be desired yesterday. But today is better.

    Andy: Keep your peace. Please.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You could be right, Buck. And I hated, hated shift work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. And I hated, hated shift work.

    Me too... with a freakin' PASSION.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.