Monday, September 07, 2009

Labor Day

Today is the day we celebrate "Labor Day" which, in times past, was a true celebration of American Labor.  And by that I mean the people who manipulate the "means of production"… the guys and gals who go out and get their hands dirty making this country work, day in and day out.  But "Labor" as both term and concept has become perverted over the past few years.  Actually… Labor has become politicized and has only a shadow of the meaning it used to carry, back in the day.  Who among us doesn't think of unions when one says or hears the word "Labor" today?  Not many of us, I would wager.

I will resist the temptation to turn this post into an anti-union screed, and said temptation is strong indeed, Gentle Reader.  But let me just say this about that… I'm of the opinion that labor unions are the root of all most evil in our post-industrial society.  I'll grant you labor unions have a glorious history and were responsible for righting numerous wrongs in the early 20th century (you can begin reading here if you're not up on the good unions accomplished during that time).  But like the buggy whip, their time has passed.  What we get from our unions today are things like "card check" —a decidedly UN-American renunciation of free elections in the workplace— and outright political intimidation (can you spell S-E-I-U?  Sure you can…).  I'm not seeing much good in that… and neither are most other Americans, as Ed Morrissey notes in this Hot Air post.  But let us not digress further; I'm sure you get my point.


I'm thinking an appropriate manner in which to observe Labor Day would be to spend a few hours watching re-runs of Mike Rowe's "Dirty Jobs."  About which... the Discovery Channel is running an all-day marathon of "Dirty Jobs" episodes... or you could watch the DVDs.  If you don't have access to either the Discovery Channel or the "Dirty Jobs" DVDs, you might want to watch his (Rowe's) 20-minute lecture on"Dirty Jobs" at TED.com.  Mr. Rowe celebrates "labor" as it used to be… manual labor as an honorable pursuit infused with dignity.  As it should be.  And that's what I'm on about here, Gentle Reader. 


Or perhaps today might be spent reading a book like "Shopcraft as Soulcraft."  The NYT published a review of this book earlier this year, which starts out pretty well but descends rapidly into a typical NYT snarky book review (on subjects of this nature, of course.  Not all of their book reviews are worthless, just some.  Or most… depending on your POV.).  Here's the best part of the review:


It’s especially appealing when you add that Mr. Crawford has a Ph.D. in political philosophy from the University of Chicago and was a postdoctoral fellow — he had an office next to the novelist J. M. Coetzee’s — on the school’s Committee on Social Thought. Mr. Crawford is an intellectual who can probably take you in a bar fight.

Many of the ideas in “Shop Class as Soulcraft” are deeply resonant. Mr. Crawford mourns that shop classes were largely eliminated from American high schools in the 1990s because they are expensive to run, and sometimes dangerous. He takes this as a symptom of a larger problem: We have, as a people, lost our fundamental manual competence. We can no longer fix our own stuff, and we are increasingly steering our kids “toward the most ghostly kinds of work.”

His book, he writes, “advances a nestled set of arguments on behalf of work that is meaningful because it is genuinely useful. It also explores what we might call the ethics of maintenance and repair.”

Mr. Crawford builds his framework by walking us through the soul-killing nature of too much white-collar work; he surveys the “rising sea of clerkdom” that surrounds us. He considers the work of Marx, Heidegger and Iris Murdoch, among other philosophers. He points out, accurately enough, that “when things get really hairy, you want an experienced human being in control.” He connects the current mortgage crisis to the depersonalization of white-collar work.


This is not “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” Part 2. Mr. Crawford isn’t particularly interested in the nonrational mind. “I want to avoid the kind of mysticism that gets attached to ‘craftsmanship,’ ” he writes, “while doing justice to the very real satisfactions it offers.”


You would be forgiven, Gentle Reader, if you didn't chase the link and read the rest of the piece which is in the end dismissive at best, or borders on character assassination, at worst.  I'd rather you spent that time watching the little piece below (from last Friday's "News Hour with Jim Lehrer"), where Mr. Crawford speaks his mind on what we're on about here.  It's great good stuff.





Seven minutes ain't that much time to waste, is it?

And… Happy Labor Day… Drink beer, barbeque, and have a great time! 

10 comments:

  1. I didn't chase the links, I just got home. Shop was one of the best classes I remember, just like being the only male in the Home Economics course. I got laughed at, but I also learned how to cook and sew.

    A return to teaching the fundamentals to our young would be a rational thing. More math, english and history rounded off with wood working and auto shop. Less time for "social studies" and other indoctrinations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts. In my day, the subject was called "Industrial Arts" and girls were not allowed to take it -- we were stuck in "Home Economics" which made little sense since that's what we did at home anyway. Fortunately, my Daddy made sure that his only child (who just happened to be a daughter) knew how to change washers, and install a ceiling fan, change out the floater ball and flapper valve in a toilet tank, and check the timing and fluids in her 1971 Chevvy, not to mention how to change a tire. Of course, today I wouldn't even pop the hood on my miracle machine car because they've hidden everything from us and there's WAAAY too much electronic stuff under there that I could irrevocably foul up!

    But, I agree with the premise that today's students aren't taught, either at home or at school, to appreciate the "industrial arts" of building and repairing things rather than chunking them out the window and buying something new and cheaply made.

    What a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm of the opinion that labor unions are the root of all most evil in our post-industrial society.

    In other words, in all the ways that matter you are every bit as extremist as I am.

    I'm thinking an appropriate manner in which to observe Labor Day would be to spend a few hours watching re-runs of Mike Rowe's "Dirty Jobs."

    You're right again. You're not making a very good centrist moderate type here, m'friend. It's your balls that are the problem. You have some.

    Drink beer, barbeque, and have a great time!

    A three-fer.

    See, when we don't have any leftists around peddling their bullshit, you and I don't really disagree on anything.

    But, I agree with the premise that today's students aren't taught, either at home or at school, to appreciate the "industrial arts" of building and repairing things rather than chu[c]king them out the window and buying something new and cheaply made.

    What a shame.


    You are also right.

    You know one thing we can do about this, doesn't have anything to do with labor or commerce or anything of the like. I speak of pets. Too many people buy their precious chilluns exotic or not-so-exotic pets...and then end up dropping the pet off at an animal shelter to face almost-certain doom as a "second-hand" when it's discovered no one in the household is industrious or intrepid enough to do the necessary feeding, cleaning, walking et al.

    I've often thought there must be a correlation between the "going through pets like rice cakes" thing, and the high divorce rate among the "children" after they're grown up. I can only speculate. It wouldn't be a politically correct study to undertake, and until someone undertakes it, all I can do is speculate.

    [/off topic rant]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Restoration of the small barn in our backyard is nearing completion after a day's great labor by The Oracle.

    Me? I made jewelry in the AM, along with household chores.

    Afternoon? The Oracle and I spent time putting some lead down range - target shooting. We had an off day, which is to say we had fun if not had any bullseyes.

    Finished with a great meal by a chiminea fire.

    Good labor, satisfying fun and a day well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The subject of labor unions is one that gets my blood boiling in short order. As you have stated, they've outlived their purpose. I suspect most military vets are of a like mind on the subject. I'll refrain from ranting.

    I think it is truly unfortunate that schools have cut shop classes to near non-existence. There is much value in teaching the non-college bound students some useful skills. Auto Shop was where I discovered my enjoyment and natural inclination for mechanical work. This played a large part in selecting my Navy specialty.

    Time for some Rolling Rock...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that Rowe lecture about declaring war on work, although his show undermines his point a bit, since there must be at least more than a few people out there still willing to do "dirty" jobs, otherwise he'd have trouble keeping his show on the air. I really like Dirty Jobs, having worked one job that arguably qualifies (landscaping) and helped out with another that definitely is (sprinkler install/repair).

    One thing I'm not looking forward to about the Air Force is that as an officer my real work to paperwork ratio will not be optimal (in a perfect world it would be 100-0). Only time I've ever had that was my first summer landscaping; every summer after that it was at least 95-5 if not worse.

    Speaking of the Air Force, that brings me back to another point from the war on work lecture, which is the one to do with safety. Safety and following the T.O.s (from a USAF standpoint) is important, but it seems like sometimes we really take it too far. Case in point: when I was landscaping I broke OSHA rules on a daily basis. Sometimes it was simple stupidity (like dumping a front end loader bucket in the back of a truck because it wasn't attached or flipping a skidloader...that wasn't me, it was an incredibly stupid coworker) but more often than not it was because that was the quickest or only way to get the job done (using a skid bucket as a lift or operating a forklift without proper training when I'm the only guy at the shop and the only way the pallet is getting unloaded is with the forklift). I'm all for basic common sense safety (see flipping a skidloader) but I think we've just taken it a little too far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I DO associate Labor Day with unions. I think unions have hurt this country, especially the modern unions, and I don't celebrate Labor Day. It is just another day to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im glad Thatcher booted ours out. Only one or two remain now and they are soom to have their power removed. Yay.

    Hope you had a great day filled with booze Buck.

    btw - Labour means childbirth or Labour Party to me over here. Both fill me with complete horror ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can remember my dad cussing Ross Perot because of his belief that we would all be white-collar workers some day. Dad said there would always be a job for the ditch diggers. I also remember one of my friends who was an honor student being told she should not take vocational classes because she was “too smart.” She took cosmetology anyway and was able to make a good living right out of high school and put herself through college. But the mentality was that only “poor students” took vocational classes. Yep, schools have really dropped the ball, but so have parents. There is a deeper thought here of not only being able to work with your hands, fix your own things, etc, but also to think for yourself or use higher level thought process (google that if you want). Most teaching and testing is geared to multiple choice questions and does not promote higher-order thinking.

    Thanks to my dad, not only do I have a college degree, I can build you a house, change a flat and check my oil (mechanics was not his strong point). Thanks to my husband, my kids can do the same and more. Bo’s master degree in economics was almost useless, but he can replace the brakes on his old mini-van and do the plumbing in his old house.

    Come on parents, you can pick up where schools leave off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Darryl sez: A return to teaching the fundamentals to our young would be a rational thing. More math, english and history rounded off with wood working and auto shop. Less time for "social studies" and other indoctrinations.

    I agree wholeheartedly with that. Especially the "shop" bit.

    Morgan sez: In other words, in all the ways that matter you are every bit as extremist as I am.

    As you well know, I've often pointed out that you and I agree more than we disagree. Perhaps I'll drop the "moderate" self-identification and opt for Libertarian... or the small "L" version... in future. :D

    Kris: It sounds like your Labor Day was well-spent, indeed!

    BR sez: I suspect most military vets are of a like mind on the subject. I'll refrain from ranting.

    Not all. My Buddy Dan in Florida (who has been conspicuously absent on this thread) is a union supporter. And there's nothing wrong with that, I suppose, assuming one supports the good stuff and raises one's voice against the endemic madness unions seem to be on about these days.

    And I'm in agreement with ya on the shop thing.

    Mike: I hear ya about OSHA excess, but that's the problem with ANY bureaucracy... they do a little bit of good and then get out of control faster than you can contain them. As for "real work"... well, that's what ya signed up to do! (And it pays better, too. Ask me how I know.) :D

    Sharon sez: ...I don't celebrate Labor Day. It is just another day to me.

    I ain't gonna touch THAT. :D

    Alison sez: Im glad Thatcher booted ours out. Only one or two remain now and they are soom to have their power removed. Yay.

    I got watch Dame Maggie go head-to-head with the TUC and coal miners, specifically, back in '80 to '83. You cannot IMAGINE (well, yes you CAN) the excitement and over the top rhetoric that went down in The guardian on a daily basis. It was great fun watching all that!!

    Lou sez: Come on parents, you can pick up where schools leave off.

    To a certain extent, yes. But unless Dad or Mom happens to be in the trades... there's no real replacement for Industrial Arts as provided by a school system. Other than that... we're on the same page, Lou.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.