Wednesday, September 02, 2009

General Curtis LeMay

I have to add yet another book to my prospective reading list, based on a note I received last evening from Mike Dunn, President and CEO of the Air Force Association.  A few quotes from that e-mail:

AFA Members, Congressional Staffers, Civic Leaders, and DOCA members, this past weekend I read a great book – one that anyone who cares about airpower should consider. The book is entitled: LEMAY – The Life and Wars of General Curtis LeMay. It is written by Warren Kozak, published in 2009, and came to me via a staff member from a former Chairman of the Board of AFA. Simply put – the book destroyed all the preconceived notions I had about General LeMay – most of which were formed by his run for Vice President, the movie Dr. Strangelove, and his often quoted statement of "bombing the North Vietnamese back to the stone age."

Here is a sampling of what I found in the book:

"It should be remembered that generals Robert E. Lee and Ulysses S. Grant fought seventeen battles in each of their careers. LeMay fought one almost every day for three years. And unlike any other general in modern times, he did not send his men out on perilous missions, he led them. On the most dangerous missions, LeMay insisted on flying the lead aircraft in the formation himself, in the first plane the enemy would target. No other general in WWII did this."

The Army Air Corps chose the B-18 over the B-17 in the 1935 heavy bomber competition. The country was in the midst of the great depression and leaders were looking for the 75% solution [my words] when it came to recapitalizing the Army Air Corps. However, this compromised approach yielded an aircraft that lacked both the payload capacity and range to effectively engage in most combat scenarios—including those anticipated in Europe and the Pacific. Fortunately, Congress had the wisdom to add money for the B-17 – to keep both the bomber … and the Boeing Company alive for what was to come. By the end of the war 12,000 B-17s had been constructed, with nearly half of these lost in combat.

" … the start of the military buildup in the fall of 1941 hardly relieved LeMay's anxiety. The US was starting from nothing. It was impossible, he thought to correct twenty years of neglect in just six months or even a year, and he was right."

" The entire American effort managed just over seventy sorties in August of 1942, compared to … more than 20,000 [sorties] a month later in the war."

General LeMay was a hero to me when I was a boy coming of age in the '50s… and that was a time when he was leading USAF's Strategic Air Command (SAC).  My father, who was also on active duty at the time, served under LeMay in England during WW II.  The Ol' Man could tell the most amazing stories about the general and his legendary exploits (see the first paragraph in my excerpt, above) both in the air over Germany and on the ground in Ol' Blighty.  It's also worth mentioning that General LeMay and I served in the same Air Force, given he retired in 1965 and I joined in 1963.  I will also say I'm happy I never had the "opportunity" to serve in SAC.  Former members of SAC and airmen who are familiar with SAC's reputation and "aura" will understand exactly what I'm on about here…

General Dunn goes on to say it's a shame that most of the American public only knows LeMay as George Wallace's running mate in Wallace's abortive third party presidential campaign of 1968.  If they know of LeMay at all… I should probably add.  1968 was over 40 years ago and both George Wallace and Curtis LeMay are basically only footnotes in American history nowadays.  And that's a shame, because General LeMay was a true American hero and patriot.  He might also be the last of the truly great Air Force generals, but that's another story, innit?

13 comments:

  1. General LeMay sounds like an amazing man, and you portray him in such a way that makes me want to read this book about him as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jus' saying hi!
    Sounds like an interesting read . . . I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LeMay's place in U.S. history really is a shame. While he deserves some of what he got (reading up on the SAC plans in the '50s to "encourage" the Soviets to give up communism through the judicious use of A-bombs is an eye-opening experience) it is definitely quite overblown. In any case, it doesn't take away from his work with the Mighty 8th and FEAF in WWII and singlehandedly building SAC from the ground up.

    Should just bring back Zombie LeMay to head up GSC.

    As for being the last truly great AF general, I'd agree with that. There have been a few good ones since then (Fogelman comes to mind off the top of my head, if for nothing else than undoing McPeak's charlie-foxtrot and resigning in the political fallout of Khobar Towers) but none that would be truly great.

    Seems to me that the most of the last great Generals had their heyday in WWII (LeMay being the holdover thanks to being involved with SAC) while most of the last great Colonels were in Vietnam (guys like Robin Olds). Other than outliers like John Boyd (who is definitely an outlier) there's really no one I can think of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post -- I'm going to suggest the book to the husband.

    An aside -- there's a plumbing company in Little Rock named Curtis & Lemay who ran ads on morning drive-time radio. Needless to say, that was a very confusing thing to a young pre-teen who heard about GENERAL Curtis Lemay on the evening tv news!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crysti: General LeMay WAS an amazing guy. Truly.

    Katy: Hi back!

    Mike: I agree with ya 100%. I can't name a single USAF four-star since LeMay that came close to being his equal. I have, however, known a few "good" (as I define the term) colonels... both during and after my career. It seems the deck is stacked against those sorts these days, and it's THE biggest issue I have with "Today's Modern Air Force." The Blue Suiters need some Marines, methinks.

    Moogie: Thanks. And I can see where you WOULD be confused by that plumber's ad, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buck?

    LeMay wrote a VERY good book on military strategy and weapons procurement and force posture in late 50s-early 60s IIRC. Can't remember the title now, but seek it out--reveals him to be a very flexible and forward-thinking guy with a wide range of knowledge contrary to much of his public image. I was very impressed even as a TAC fighter guy.

    I only met him once at DaNang in 68 when he was running for VP w. George Wallace and was on a "fact-finding" trip to SEA. Funny to see him strutting around in fatigues sans any rank (was a civilian then) and that ridiculous looking peaked BB fatigue cap they wore then. Sunglasses and huge cigar completed the look. But by that stage he had gained weight and looked like a stuffed sausage in that outfit--LOL.

    The going joke was that his campaign bumper-sticker read (or should have): "Bombs Away With Curt LeMay!" LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Virgil: I was at the beginning of my "plastic hippie" stage in 1968... being at the tender and impressionable age of 23, and having fallen in with what would politely be described today as "bad company." As such... LeMay was a profound embarrassment to me, then. Thank GOD I managed to come around... Speaking of "profound embarrassment"... my behavior and attitude during the years 1968 - 1978 are just that to me today. Well, just my politics, actually... the rest of it was quite good. But ya hadda be there. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. "LeMay wrote a VERY good book on military strategy and weapons procurement and force posture in late 50s-early 60s IIRC. Can't remember the title now, but seek it out--reveals him to be a very flexible and forward-thinking guy with a wide range of knowledge contrary to much of his public image."

    LeMay, of all people, is actually quoted in the AF Irregular Warfare doctrine document (AFDD 2-3). How's that for irony?

    I know some of the good colonels you're talking about (I know some of the turds too, as I'm sure you're well aware) but I haven't heard of any that are "great" in the mold of a Robin Olds. I don't think we need some Marines so much as the Marine mentality when it comes to history and heritage. It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant many of the USAF personnel I encounter are in regards to their heritage. There are pockets here and there (AFSOC and, as much as it pains me to admit it, fighter pilots come to mind) but nothing overarching like the cult the Marines have built. I mean, I had to explain to one of my classmates (who is not anything close to stupid or ignorant, by the way) who Levitow and Pitsenbarger were. The two fitness facilities here at Sheppard are named for them. That lack of knowledge is unacceptable. There's some hit and miss efforts (that are usually top down) but hearing a little blurb every morning about guys like Bud Day and Jason Cunningham isn't going to develop the enduring understanding and appreciation for that heritage that we really need.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LeMay was truly a great General, in an era that produced many great Admirals and Generals. (i.e. WWII).

    On an aside, I was a watching a show on the Military Channel a few weeks back (the name escapes me), that detailed the close brushes we had with nuclear war, such as the Cuban Missile Crisis.

    This show contended that LeMay attempted to persuade two American Presidents to employ the A-bomb against Russia.

    One shudders at the thought.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some interesting comments! Since I know nothing of LeMay's history, I would love to read this and get a little insight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd like to read the book. I've read plenty of stuff that ran him down; it would be nice to see the other side.

    I think we lost the possibility of great generals when communications became such that any military operation can be commanded from the White House.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alas, I'm a hero worshipper from way back. It might not be known, that General LeMay replaced a General who was fired. He replaced a man who wouldn't fly to Japan in a B-29 in broad daylight. LeMay briefed the crews that they will fly in perfect formation, and they will bomb Japan day and night. Of course some of you will be killed or captured. But the sooner we start bombing, the sonner we will be done. I don't remember his exact words, but I believe he was a matter-of-fact type of leader. You know the type: Here's the map, her's you, and here's the target. Any questions? I don't love just the warrior, I love the warrior mentality. Death in a rocking chair, is no different then death in a B-29 on fire and doing a 4-G spin and picking up speed that only a brick could admire.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I knew about him relieving an incompetent predecessor, Anon. And LeMay was probably the most war-like of our senior commanders... ever.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.