Thursday, August 06, 2009

Today's Funny

I've not had any comment on the "Birther" (or lately: Nirther, whatever the Hell THAT means) phenomenon here at EIP... but I've dropped comments on the subject at the few political blogs I still read... and they (political blogs) are indeed few and far between these days. That said... I agree with folks who say Birthers ain't doin' nuthin' but making Republicans/conservatives look like a bunch of mouth-breathers without the sense God gave a pissant. Just frickin' stop it, already... there are other, bigger fish to fry.

And about political blogs, in general: at some point in time I might post a rant on this subject, but it would be hard to top... or equal... what some of my daily reads (most especially Andy, Daphne, and Alison) have said on this subject in recent days. This "same ol', same ol'" boring crap from both the left AND the right just ain't good for your health, yanno? But it seems to be worse on the right, who appear much more adept at... and prone to... flogging dead horses than I would have believed possible. I never thought I'd say that...

And that was much more than I intended to say, come to think on it. I need a beer. (insert smiley-face thingie here)

Toon credit: the same, as always.

Update, 2100 hrs: Just in from an extended after-dinner whiskey session on the verandah... and I read this in comments:
Oh, Buck, please let us not fall into the trap of applying adjectives to other people's concerns. We live in America (some of it even a free state) and have the right to voice our views on anything. As for myself, were I in the unenviable position BO is, I'd haul out that real birth certificate and end the hue and cry. Only reasons I can think of that he doesn't? 1. It is not real. 2. Creating enmity instead of friendship is a goal of some.
But I'm going for a lager. The only I don't like is an unopened one.
Well. We can agree on the beer. But as for the other? I can think of at least two other plausible reasons The One doesn't want his birth certificate made public.

(a) Suppose Mr. Obama is a legal bastard? Which is to say his mother and father weren't married when he was born... wouldn't YOU want to preserve your dead mother's dignity? Especially in America, where one can easily imagine the hue and cry about a "love child" occupying the White House. This is NOT beyond the pale.

(b) To continue to give the Lunatic Fringe enough rope to hang themselves, as if they haven't done so already. But this approach, if it is indeed the case, is simply clever politics. And it seems to be working.

Those are just two plausible reasons. But, yes, this is indeed America... where one is free to believe whatever stupid shit one chooses to believe. Cases in point: there are hundreds of thousands of Americans alive today who fervently believe the CIA was behind JFK's assassination. There are tens of thousands of Americans who believe Dubya was behind 9/11. ALL of these people are asshats, but they are asshats who are free to exercise their right under the First Amendment to believe what they want to believe and shout it from the rooftops (or their blogs) if the spirit so moves them. As are the Birthers.

And I'm free to call it as I see it, too. IMHO ALL conspiracy theorists are... in general... asshats, the Birthers included. But I repeat myself to an extraordinary degree (it's the Glenfiddich, more than anything). YMMV.

That aside... it was a most beautiful evening under the stars here on The High Plains of New Mexico. Tonight's sunset was moderately spectacular, in that there was enough dust aloft after a day of exceedingly brisk winds to cast the most remarkable pink glow across the entire visible sky. The winds subsided enough around dusk to make an extended stay outdoors (which is to say: two whiskeys rather than the usual, customary, and reasonable one) not only desirable but almost mandatory. So we listened to our Inner Drunk and complied. And we're glad we did.

14 comments:

  1. a joke my son likes to tell - what do obama and God have in common? neither one has a birth certificate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now, between the Deschutes Twilight Ale and the RTO taking an unexpectedly well-timed nap, I didn't NEED another reason to feel good today, but here ya up and gave me one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Buck, please let us not fall into the trap of applying adjectives to other people's concerns. We live in America (some of it even a free state) and have the right to voice our views on anything. As for myself, were I in the unenviable position BO is, I'd haul out that real birth certificate and end the hue and cry. Only reasons I can think of that he doesn't? 1. It is not real. 2. Creating enmity instead of friendship is a goal of some.
    But I'm going for a lager. The only I don't like is an unopened one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nanc: THAT made me LOL!

    Andy: I'm glad I could be of service and please ya at the same time.

    Cat: You've been moved to the front page. We can agree to disagree in this space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come on, everyone knows the CIA wasn't behind the assassination...there's no way they could have competently carried out such an operation. Now, the mafia on the other hand...;-).

    While this may be giving the Dems too much credit, I'm inclined to agree with your option (b) regarding the birthers...the real danger is the negative effect they will have on the rest of the right/conservative/not on their knees for Obama crowd if they get more serious traction, as they seem to be getting.

    Oh, since I know you'll ask it (and I didn't answer it last time) I'm finally actually on active duty now...currently down (kind of) in your neck of the woods in lovely Wichita Falls, TX at Sheppard AFB for 21M with a conventional shred-out (aka AMMO officer) training. Got one more week for the fundamentals course, a week-ish of nuke fundamentals, and then 6-ish weeks of the actual conventional officer course. After that it's on to Alaska. Drop me an email if ya want to know anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so out of the loop - I just don't care about the birthers and non-birthers. It all seems a bit late in the game to even bring it up.

    Mike, you are in my neck of the woods now - I may drop you an email.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buck, the inner drunk is wise, if occasionally a bit too eager. Still, to heed is to be warmed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, it gets depressing, doesn't it? Do they honestly think they'll get him removed from office? If not, WTF? Give it a rest. If so, then they'd better start the legal wheels grinding instead of just yakking about it on Teh Interwebs. Sad, all around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the 'toon! I'm not wading into the whole birther waters -- they're way too murky and I don't really want to know what's below the surface. I'm kinda with Mike, though, on Option (b).

    Just as long as some union or ACORN goon doesn't bitch-slap me (or tire-iron me!), I'm good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mike: Thanks for the update. I'll be dropping you a note sometime today or tomorrow... or by the end of the weekend, at the latest. SN1 is in town bedding the family down before he takes off for Kandahar and my social calendar is unusually full. :D

    Lou: I generally don't care about the Birthers.. just like I don't care about the Truthers... but the difference is the Birthers are doing some damage to conservative credibility. That bothers me.

    Andy: I've trusted my Inner Drunk too often in the past and lived to regret it the next day... e.g., a morning spent with The Porcelain Goddess. But I haven't been down THAT road in a couple o' years.

    Jim: There's some dude who's actually filed a couple of lawsuits, only to have them dismissed... once for "no standing" and once because of something else, IIRC. So some of these guys are QUITE serious.

    Moogie: The waters are murky, indeed. I'm pretty much with ya on the ACORN thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me, I want to see it but that's just because I'm curious why the man is going to such extraordinary lengths to keep it hidden. No, I don't think it will suddenly result in his removal from office if it comes to light but to me it's like John Kerry's war record that he promised to reveal to us all and then never did which is kind of surprising since a navy officer service record (hard copy) has absolutely nothing of interest in it since unlike an enlisted navy record which contains annual and transfer evaluations, the officer hard copy does not contain fitness reports. I just looked through mine and see that it doesn't even contain copies of citations for medals.
    I do find it interesting that within 72 hours of his appearance in the news we knew more about Joe the Plumber than we do about Obama. The same deep background was done on Palin but we never seem to have gotten anything like either of those with Obama. It's funny how he always seemed to get sealed court records unsealed on his political opponents but nobody can touch his.

    You're probably passed and opening on the topic but I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Curtis: I'm MUCH more interested in Kerry's Navy records than The One's birth cert. I find it oh-so-interesting that Kerry never delivered on his promise to make his Navy records public. Perhaps it's because the voters in Mass would can him if they found something out? Who knows...

    You're absolutely right about JtP/Palin/The One. The media are completely in the tank for Obama, no ifs, ands, or buts. I find that disgusting, but I'm just one of millions in that particular space.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Me? I am not a birther, I think we have bigger things to fight ..

    BUT....I am curious and I believe I have the right to be, considering the secrecy with which this man conducts all of his business, and the bald-faced lies he has told about other things in his life. It all goes to HONESTY with me, and I am very uncomfortable having a LIAR in the Oval Office.

    I can be curious about the birth certificate without being a mouth-breathing asshat.....AND I can still fight all the other things I believe he is doing wrong. Neither issue is mutually exclusive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good points, Sharon... especially the bits about The One's honesty, or lack thereof.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.