Friday, August 07, 2009

Twitter Still Down?

It looks like it... at this writing... coz what you see on the right is what I see in my G-Mail box.

This was a BIG DoS attack... from a Russian hacker. From CNet News:
A Georgian blogger with accounts on Twitter, Facebook, LiveJournal, and Google's Blogger and YouTube was targeted in a denial-of-service attack that led to the sitewide outage at Twitter and problems at the other sites on Thursday, according to a Facebook executive.
The blogger, who uses the account name "Cyxymu," (the name of a town in the Republic of Georgia) had accounts on all of the different sites that were attacked at the same time, Max Kelly, chief security officer at Facebook, told CNET News.

[...]

Twitter was down for several hours beginning early Thursday morning, and it suffered periodic slowness and time-outs throughout the day.

[...]

In the distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack on the sites, computers that have been compromised by viruses or other malware are instructed by the attacker's computer to visit the specific Web sites all at the same time and repeatedly. The barrage of connection requests overwhelms the target sites, making it so that legitimate Web traffic can't get through.
Such coordinated attacks require the efforts of tens of thousands or more of hijacked computers, which together form a botnet. Spammers send e-mails with malicious attachments or URLs to millions of people to create botnets. Criminals also can lease existing botnets for specific campaigns for as little as 5 cents to 10 cents per bot.
Facebook and YouTube were hit, too. I dunno about Facebook (I deactivated my account a couple of months ago) but I had no trouble with YouTube yesterday. I still can't log in to Twitter, though.
MUCH more at Techmeme, including how Google was impacted by the DoS attacks. There must be 50 different articles on this subject. And you thought Twitter was just a toy, didn't you? (/snark)

Update, 15 minutes later: I reloaded G-Mail and TwitterGadget came alive. Twitter was probably up all along... it's me that's the twit. Heh.

2 comments:

  1. I think Twitter HAS been down...off and on.

    Makes me think of how much I actually use it (@crysticouture) but at the same time...I was the most productive I have been since I started Twittering. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Crysti, about Twitter being down off and on yesterday. They had some problems with their API and TwitterGadget wouldn't work for most of the day.I don't Tweet a whole lot (not at all this entire week, IIRC), but I use it to keep up with a lot of folks who do.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.