Sunday, December 07, 2008

Pearl Harbor Day

From the EIP Pearl Harbor Day post of 2006...which I cannot improve upon today:
It’s said — quite often and by many, many people — that 9/11/2001 “changed everything.” And it is indeed true for the current generations of Americans. But I’ll submit that 12/07/1941 “changed everything” to a degree it is impossible for us who were not alive and going about our business on that Sunday in December, 1941 to realize. Those of us whose parents were members of The Greatest Generation understand my point. A smaller subset, those of us whose parents fought in World War II, understand the point a little bit better, perhaps. We have the benefit of hearing the first-person narratives of that day in December 1941, and stories from the long, long days that followed…from the dark and despair of the war’s first year to the signing of the Japanese surrender on the decks of the USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay not quite four years later. And a lot in between.

They are leaving us. The Pearl Harbor Survivors Association is holding their last meeting (ed: there used to be a news item linked here; the link is dead) today.

PEARL HARBOR, Hawaii - With their number quickly dwindling, survivors of Pearl Harbor will gather Thursday one last time to honor those killed by the Japanese 65 years ago, and to mark a day that lives in infamy.

This will be their last visit to this watery grave to share stories, exchange smiles, find peace and salute their fallen friends. This, they say, will be their final farewell.

"This will be one to remember," said Mal Middlesworth, president of the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association. "It's going to be something that we'll cherish forever."

The survivors have met here every five years for four decades, but they're now in their 80s or 90s and are not counting on a 70th reunion. They have made every effort to report for one final roll call.

Their last meeting. I know All Things Must Pass, but it saddens me so. We owe them so much, and our thank-yous seem inadequate compared to the sacrifices they made.

But: We shall continue, we shall honor their sacrifices, we will remember, and we shall rededicate ourselves to the task that faces this generation…the one that began on 9/11/2001. The Greatest Generation expects it from us.

The image above was taken from The Pearl Harbor Survivors Association web site (ed: this link was live last year but is "403" [prohibited] in 2008. FIXED, thanks to Cynthia [Flag Gazer] in comments!).

8 comments:

  1. I hope with you Buck. For if those who come after do not remember, they will have to live it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost nothing has affected me as much as the Arizona Memorial. Years later, it still has a huge impact on me when I just think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New link:

    http://www.pearlharborsurvivorsonline.org/Index%20Page%20.htm

    I grew up in the shadow of Pearl Harbor and Punchbowl National Cemetery... the images are ever emblazoned on my brain and in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visited the Arizona on my Vietnam R&R back in April 1970....the sight of the bubbling oil/fuel still coming to the top from the "Arizona" is still as clear as a bell in my mind, over 38 years later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jesse and I went to see the movie, "Australia" yesterday. It was an adventure type movie, but had some bits about Pear Harbor and Australia being bombed by the Japanese - kind of a fitting reminder on Pearl Harbor Day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your remembrances, and especially you, Cynthia, for the new link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the Pearl Harbor tribute, Buck.

    My Dad was a 19 year old and the war was nearly over in 1945 when he enlisted in the Army. He was sent to France, where he guarded German prisoners of war, who also were just kids. He used to tell us some interesting stories, and he always mentioned that his prisoners were just kids like himself...and he always wondered what became of them in the years after the war.

    Being in the Army and being a part of the winding down of the war was one of the proudest times of his life. When he died in 2004, we buried him wearing his Legion cap and wearing a little WWII pin we found in his dresser.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sharon: Your father was literally part of our Greatest Generation and had every right to be proud of his accomplishments. I salute him.

    I only wish my father had been forthcoming with his stories about the war. He never really did talk about it until he was almost on his death bed, and by that I mean he was only weeks away from the end when he finally told me some of his stories. I wish I would have recorded them in some way.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.