Monday, December 08, 2008

150 100 Things

OK… I’ve seen this meme all over the place in my Daily Reads. I wasn’t going to participate, coz it’s VERY similar to that 150 Things post in my sidebar. Yet there are some different questions on this list and the thing is only two-thirds of 150. Besides that I’ve been running kinda short on motivation and/or blog fodder of late. So, here without further ado is my “100 Things” I’ve done/not done.

1. Started your own blog
2. Slept under the stars
3. Played in a band (Well, sorta. I was a one-time vocalist with a group of friends at a squadron picnic)
4. Visited Hawaii
5. Watched a meteor shower
6. Given more than you can afford to charity
7. Been to Disneyland
8. Climbed a mountain
9. Held a praying mantis
10. Sang a solo
11. Bungee jumped
12. Visited Paris (lived there for three years, been back a few times)
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea

14. Taught yourself an art from scratch (Depends on how ya define “art.” But I’ll go with it…)
15. Adopted a child
16. Had food poisoning
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty
18. Grown your own vegetables
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France
20. Slept on an overnight train
21. Had a pillow fight
22. Hitch hiked
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill
24. Built a snow fort
25. Held a lamb
26. Gone skinny dipping
27. Run a Marathon
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice
29. Seen a total eclipse
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset
31. Hit a home run
32. Been on a cruise (Once again: a qualified yes, but not in the “Carnival Cruise Lines” sense. Do troop ships count? Tramp steamers?)
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors (Where the Hell would that be?)
35. Seen an Amish community
36. Taught yourself a new language
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person
39. Gone rock climbing
40. Seen Michelangelo’s David
41. Sung karaoke
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant
44. Visited Africa (A very brief port call in Algeria)
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight
46. Been transported in an ambulance
47. Had your portrait painted
48. Gone deep sea fishing
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris (Two-thirds of the way up, thus two-thirds bold. Apropos of nothing… is there another Eiffel Tower I’m unaware of?)
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling (Snorkeling)
52. Kissed in the rain
53. Played in the mud
54. Gone to a drive-in theater
55. Been in a movie (a corporate training video)
56. Visited the Great Wall of China
57. Started a business
58. Taken a martial arts class
59. Visited Russia
60. Served at a soup kitchen
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies
62. Gone whale watching
63. Got flowers for no reason
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma
65. Gone sky diving
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp
67. Bounced a check
68. Flown in a helicopter
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial
71. Eaten Caviar
72. Pieced a quilt
73. Stood in Times Square
74. Toured the Everglades
75. Been fired from a job
76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London
77. Broken a bone
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle (is there ANY other kind, other than “speeding?”)
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person
80. Published a book
81. Visited the Vatican
82. Bought a brand new car
83. Walked in Jerusalem
84. Had your picture in the newspaper
85. Read the entire Bible
86. Visited the White House
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating (assuming fish count)
88. Had chickenpox
89. Saved someone’s life
90. Sat on a jury
91. Met someone famous
92. Joined a book club
93. Lost a loved one
94. Had a baby (fathered three, if that counts)
95. Seen the Alamo in person
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake
97. Been involved in a law suit
98. Owned a cell phone (who the Hell hasn’t?)
99. Been stung by a bee
100. Read an entire book in one day

So. Add these to that list of 150.

Today’s Pics: Apropos of #42, above.

May, 2000.

12 comments:

  1. I started on this, too. My memory is garbage, though, and there are several that I am pretty damned sure I have done, but can't remember specifics. I've decided to not bother with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: 50

    Yup. The Paris Hotel, in Las Vegas, has a two-thirds size replica out front. You can go up to the top of it, too (though I think the only way to get there is via elevator, no climbing.)

    Re: 98

    I'm him. I've never owned one, Buck, nor do I ever intend to. MY WIFE, too. Not that we don't see the utility of the things, it's just that we have a land line and we don't have any desire to ever be contacted when outside of the house.

    (I'll live to regret those words, no doubt, but that's the way I feel now.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My list would be dismal if I tried this one. But I enjoyed reading yours.

    The caviar? What does it really taste like? Did you enjoy it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy: And here I thought I had the world's worst memory!

    Jim: I knew about the Eiffel in Lost Wages, but just chose to overlook it. And on cell phones... forgot that my ex- doesn't own one, either. It's a point-of-pride with her, in a bizarre sort of way.

    Michelle sez: The caviar? What does it really taste like? Did you enjoy it?

    It tastes like the ocean, which is to say salty... some varieties more so than others. But there are subtle over and undertones in the taste, as well. The best part is breaking the little individual eggs in your mouth, IMHO, which is kinda hard to do with sturgeon caviar, less so with salmon roe. I don't only enjoy it, I love it.

    One of the absolute BEST things about my trips to Moscow back in the day was all the caviar... and it was CHEAP, compared to US prices. I brought back as much as I could carry out of the country (legally), but it was gone all too quickly, dammit. Same thing for the vodka, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that's a pretty full list of things you HAVE done! I think there are only a couple that you haven't that I have (like, Sell Girl Scout Cookies. don't see that you had a need to. LOL!). But HAVE done list far excedes mine.

    My father doesn't have a cell phone. I think he would get rid of the regular phone if it wasn't his only way to get online or call me. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buck - you have lived a very full and interesting life, haven't you?!

    And I agree- caviar is just wonderful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suldog beat me to it regarding the Eiffel Tower, dangit!

    But caviar? Ugh. I don't like fish, and caviar just tastes too fishy for my tastes.

    But to each his own!

    ReplyDelete
  8. fun! I might have to conveniently steal this list from you on a low-blogging fodder day soon...lol

    ah...I miss Paris!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, forgot to ask: Who's the famous person you've met?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenny sez: My father doesn't have a cell phone. I think he would get rid of the regular phone if it wasn't his only way to get online or call me. LOL!

    And I don't have a land-line. Well, technically I DO, coz my broadband connection is bundled with phone service (that I don't use).

    Kris: Ya, life has been pretty danged good to me. I'm lucky in that regard.

    Mezzo: I'm looking forward to your list!

    Christina: I met Richard Chamberlain when he starred in Dr. Kildare oh-so-many years ago. He bought his coffee and donuts every morning from the same bakery I patronized and I used to see him in line, often. I didn't know who he was until my Mom went with me one morning and flipped out (the usual: "OMG!!!! That's DOCTOR KILDARE!!!"). Here I'd been occasionally chatting with this guy while in line for a couple of months or so and had no idea...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw this too and just stopped about halfway through. It felt like homework instead of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Richard Chamberlain?! OMG, I had the HUGEST crush on him, back when the "Thornbirds" were wildly popular.

    *sigh*

    Thanks for the memories...:)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.