Monday, October 13, 2008

The Winter of Our My Discontent


So… today is the season's first “heating day” here on The High Plains of New Mexico. It was 44 degrees when I awoke this morning (I use the term “morning” quite loosely) and it’s supposed to hit a high of 58. I don’t think we’re gonna make that, but I could be wrong. It’s been known to happen. One thing I DO know: no beer and cigars on the verandah today. Nosiree, Bob.


―:
:―


I’ve been wrong about a lot of things in my life, as noted above, but it appears I wasn’t wrong about the McCain campaign. Here’s Bill Kristol, writing in yesterday’s NYT (“Fire the Campaign”):


It’s time for John McCain to fire his campaign.


He has nothing to lose. His campaign is totally overmatched by Obama’s. The Obama team is well organized, flush with resources, and the candidate and the campaign are in sync. The McCain campaign, once merely problematic, is now close to being out-and-out dysfunctional. Its combination of strategic incoherence and operational incompetence has become toxic. If the race continues over the next three weeks to be a conventional one, McCain is doomed.


He may be anyway. Bush is unpopular. The media is hostile. The financial meltdown has made things tougher. Maybe the situation is hopeless — and if it is, then nothing McCain or his campaign does matters.


But I’m not convinced by such claims of inevitability. McCain isn’t Bush. The media isn’t all-powerful. And the economic crisis still presents an opportunity to show leadership.


Mr. Kristol goes on to lay out a roadmap of sorts for a McCain recovery and come-from-behind win. It’s really late in the game for Mr. Kristol’s prescription (or anyone else’s, for that matter) to work, but God knows the current campaign isn’t working… at all.


I was looking for the transcript of yesterday’s Fox News Sunday panel discussion, in which Mr. Kristol gave the closing remarks… all about the sorry state of the McCain campaign. Those remarks were short and to the point, whereas Mr. Kristol’s op-ed in the NYT tends to wander a bit. But the op-ed will have to do, in the absence of a published FNS transcript. I’ll keep watching for those remarks and will post them when and if they become available.


In the same vein (kinda-sorta), here’s Victor Davis Hanson, writing at Real Clear Politics (“Jumping Ship…”):


Obama, as I have said ad nauseam, has brilliantly prepped the battlefield to such a degree that a Farrakhan endorsement or surrogates calling Palin a quasi-Nazi or a bimbo, or smearing McCain as near senile is irrelevant; yet one screamer in a crowd of tens of thousands is proof of McCain's and Palin's racism and hatred.


Again, most conservatives know this paradox, but for some being outraged, as the conservative voice of reason, at McCain's supposed low road ensures a CNN spot, or some future rehabilitation during the expected Obama regnum of the next eight years. I think should I write a column suddenly taking the "high road", praising Obama's wit, taste in books, and metrosexuality, I would be dubbed principled rather than cynical, 'even-handed' rather than self-serving, and a maverick rather than toadish.


Yet for a self-acclaimed conservative to vote Obama would mean that higher taxes, larger government, more entitlements, more of a UN-centered foreign policy, dialogue with an Iran, less coal, oil, and nuclear energy production at home, more "oppression" studies and "reparations", leftish Supreme Court judges, open borders (I could go on) were the truly conservative positions, or perhaps suddenly truly the 'right' positions. And as far as ethics go, in fact, a cursory review of the past Obama campaigns would reveal a ruthlessness never seen in any of McCain's efforts. Obama's record is far more left than McCain's is far right. Obama the healer has proven to be the most partisan in the Senate, McCain one of the most bipartisan.


The foregoing isn’t so much a treatise on the failures of the McCain campaign as it is a warning to conservatives who have jumped ship for The One. Yeah… I’m looking at you, Doc and Barry. Just imagine… for a moment… The One, Pelosi, and Reid discussing tax policy over dinner, mmm-kay? Or, Hell… discussing anything else of import for the nation, for that matter. That doesn't scare ya?


―:
:―


Good news… the Dow Jones Industrials are up 700 points or so about a half hour away from the market close; the other indices are also up. So, we’re spared a ninth consecutive down day on Wall Street. We certainly needed a breather, eh?


―:
:―


And finally… a new, self-explanatory, tongue-in-cheek video of that ol’ ‘80s hit “Take on Me” has surfaced and is making the rounds of these here inter-tubes. It’s pretty cute, so I thought I’d pass it on. Me and about 379 other people, according to ViralVids. Here we go…


Pretty good, innit?

13 comments:

  1. aHa!! LOL!

    As for the McCain and Obama campaigns: Obama sure knows how to pick 'em. Criminals that can't be caught it seems.

    Weather: Brrrr!!!! I sent the kids to school in capris and flip flops this morning! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob, here. Nosirree indeed. Gonna be a cold one.

    Aha's "Take on Me" is one of my top five or so favorite vids ever. Will download. Actually, I mean I think it is objectively one of the best. (I don't think "Thriller" has yet been topped.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my favorite video, ;)

    No comment on the campaigns from hell....I think they, along with their commercials and the constant coverage of the economy gave me an ulcer.....

    Weather sucks, eh? Not as cold here, but your weather is about as cold as we will see winter get....not rubbing it in or anything....I've done seen my days of snow, wind and ice....and maybe they will surprise me again this year, but hey, isn't that one hopes to do when they move to the south west.....free themselves a bit from the oppressive winters?

    ~asw

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay. A "literal video" is a new one on me. I can't quite say what I think of this one. It kinda makes me oogy. It grates my well-ordered synapse pathways used to the song and video... like hearing those ads for hit collections at discounted prices, but the songs are done by cheap studio session singers.

    It also reminds me of the "mashups" craze. Kindof interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! Had a huge laugh at the literal A-Ha, thanks. And it's freakin' cold here, too. Jacket weather, for sure. And my daughter complains about 60 degree weather, yet she plans on going to school in North Dakota. Go figure.
    Just about every person I've spoken to plans of voting for McCain, so I'm not giving up hope yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your weather sucks, the media coverage of McCain/Palin sucks. Can't do much about the weather Buck(77 and 75 in west Ohio today and tomorrow ;) ), but don't give up on McCain just yet...The willing media slaves in the Obama Campaign and ACORN are trying to put the fix in....but remember, Reagan was behind 3-5% on the Friday before the 1980 Election...Despite RINO John Anderson running as an independent, RR won by 4%...it's not over just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny sez: Weather: Brrrr!!!! I sent the kids to school in capris and flip flops this morning! LOL!

    I hope you dressed 'em warmer today, LOL! But I hear relief is on the way... just not TODAY.

    Bob sez: Aha's "Take on Me" is one of my top five or so favorite vids ever. Will download. Actually, I mean I think it is objectively one of the best. (I don't think "Thriller" has yet been topped.)

    I agree about "Thriller." The production values, yadda, yadda, have never been beat. My all-time fave is Robert Palmer's "Addicted to Love," just for the eye-candy... which was The. Best. Ever. <==== noted Blogger emphasis trick. ;-)

    And yeah, seeing the text in that vid IS weird, innit? But funny!

    Christina sez: And my daughter complains about 60 degree weather, yet she plans on going to school in North Dakota.

    I'm bettin' Silver NEVER complains about 60 degree weather ever again after her first NoDak winter. I still shudder when I think about that subject...

    Pat sez: Despite RINO John Anderson running as an independent, RR won by 4%...it's not over just yet.

    You're right Pat... it ain't over, by ANY means. But it IS lookin' kinda bleak.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ASW sez: Weather sucks, eh? Not as cold here, but your weather is about as cold as we will see winter get....not rubbing it in or anything...

    Our winters are pretty mild, too, ASW. Which is one of the reasons I stay put here in P-Ville. We DO have a week or three of what I'd call "cold," and a lil bit of snow, as well. But it ain't NUTHIN' like being in Rochester, NY or Deetroit. Very manageable, in other words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Eye candy..." Heh. <==== Noted Commenter note of approval.

    Tone Loc knocked off the late Mr. Palmer's schtick (also in "Simply Irresistable") in either "Funky Cold Medina" or "Wild Thing." Seems that eye candy is a guaranteed video moneymaker. "Pour Some Sugar on Me," anybody?

    ReplyDelete
  10. ALL good tunes, Bob! Especially Tone-Loc. There's an ear worm I don't mind getting...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dude,

    Every choice in this election scares me. I thought McCain did a great job last night--that he arguably won--but I'm in the minority on that. Because I do listen to language and I do pay attention to detail. I came away from last night liking Obama a lot less and McCain a lot more.

    But still, Palin? I don't think we'll make it through 4 years with a healthy McCain. No good choices here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. But still, Palin? I don't think we'll make it through 4 years with a healthy McCain. No good choices here.

    Governor Palin just COULDN'T be any worse than Carter, dontcha think? I don't see how, anyway... Her approval ratings as governor are/were stratospheric as far as modern-day politics go, and that sez something to me, as well. Your argument has some merit with me, though. It would be much better for her credibility were she a second term governor, rather than having only two years on the job. All that said, I prefer to think McCain will remain in good health for his entire first term. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Buck, apologies... I read EIP in an RSS reader and haven't had much of a chance to visit the blog in person and comment until now.

    I am an Obama voter this year, but not a supporter or enthusiast, so I'm sure Senator Obama would prefer that I not be the person who explains his appeal :-)

    New York state was never in danger of going to anyone but Obama, so it makes no difference in the Electoral College, where the rubber meets the road, but I will add my vote to his popular total.

    I concur with Doc: "no good choices."

    I am tempted to add "and a plague on both their houses," but one of these guys has to wind up leading the free world for the next four years... I wish them the best but also wish fervently that either or both of them were better candidates.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.