Friday, August 15, 2008

They're Not Underage...

...we're just counting wrong. Doubtless you’ve heard there’s a lil bit of controversy surrounding the ages of the Chinese women gymnasts… Well, Scott Ott found the answer:

China: Gymnasts Ages Based on Chinese Calendar
by Scott Ott

(2008-08-15) — Authorities in Beijing today put to rest U.S. claims that girls on the Chinese gymnastics squad were not yet 16 years-old, the minimum age for Olympic competition, by noting that this is the year 4705 in China, not 2008.

“Our girls are actually older than their U.S. opponents based on our government’s more accurate and efficient method of tracking the passage of time,” said an unnamed spokesman for Communist regime. “We have already had more than twice as many years as the Western world, and so our gymnasts are double the 12 or 13 years they appear to be. By the way, most of our girls have put off marriage in order to compete in these Olympic games.”

That’s just a taste, Gentle Reader. You know there’s more. And you should go read it. If ya need a laugh, or even if ya don't.

15 comments:

  1. Good lord, you gotta be kidding me. Those little girls are really 24 years old?!

    Give me a freakin' break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and we are bringing this up now???

    ReplyDelete
  3. China has overtaken The Soviets has the cheaters in Olympic sports...so the Russians are mad and attack Georgia?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy and Kris: Something tells me all y'all didn't read the whole article at the link. ;-)

    ASW: It's been buzzing below the surface for a while now, and has gotten renewed attention after the Chinese women gymnasts took the team gold medal. There were several mentions of the controversy by the NBC commentators over the last few days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat: The Russians planned the Georgian invasion meticulously, including the timing (i.e., the day the Olympics began), according to what I've read and heard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, I didn't read all of it. It was all I could do to read that little bit after I saw that the guy's name was Scott Ott.(!) Who does that? Who names their son Scott Ott???

    I'll go back and read the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. post-menopausal Amazons Really? I'll stand by my original comment...Oh, hell's bells.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was being sarcastic, but I guess my comment could have been taken the wrong way....I watched all of the female events and kept telling my husband that they all looked to be around 12 or 13....much too young to be competing at this level....he agreed....

    I have two teenage daughters who are just at the age of competition and no way in hell do those girls look to be as old as my daughters who are 17 and 15....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy sez: I'll stand by my original comment...Oh, hell's bells.

    OK! I'm down with that...

    ASW: I've found sarcasm is hard to do in print... which is why I like those silly emoticons. And I've still been misread from time to time, even if I use a wink or a grin.

    FWIW... I think the Chinese were cheating, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK so I read the whole thing. Year of the Rat about sums it up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Year of the Rat about sums it up.

    That it DO!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heh heh...the Chinese calendar. Of COURSE . . . . it all makes perfect sense now. BUT then why on earth would they make such a big deal about starting on the perfect Western date, hmmm?
    (08-08-08)

    *THAT* is funny.

    Hey, there Buck! Thought I would stop by to say hello and nice to "meet" you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd be embarrassed to be beaten by a bunch of little girls:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Katy sez: BUT then why on earth would they make such a big deal about starting on the perfect Western date, hmmm?
    (08-08-08)

    *THAT* is funny.


    You nailed that one, Katy! LOL! And thanks for dropping by!

    Lou: Good One! Yep... it would smart a bit, eh? ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.