Friday, August 15, 2008

Dazzling

I’m doing something completely out of character this morning… watching the “Today” show on NBC and actually enjoying it… even considering the numerous moments that made me wince, most of which involved the obnoxious throngs of “Hi Mom!” idiots hanging around behind the anchor people. It makes one wonder why NBC perpetuates this sort of madness, as it’s highly distracting. But, Hey! I suppose I should put that phenomenon in the “Ain’t that America” category and forget it.

Silver medalist Shawn Johnson of the United States, gold medalist Nastia Lukin of the United States and bronze medalist Yang Yilin of China pose together after the women's individual all-around artistic gymnastics final. Photo: Getty Images

So… I fell asleep last night watching the “overnight” coverage of the Olympics on my teevee and awoke to “Today.” The best bits on the show this morning have all revolved around America’s new sweethearts: Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson. Just in case you’ve been under a rock for the last 16 hours or so, here’s why:

American Nastia Liukin has broken China's stranglehold in the gymnastics competition to win the women's all-around Olympic gold medal.

The 18-year-old put in a dazzling display on all four apparatus to win the title with a score of 63.325 and emulate the feat of fellow Americans Mary Lou Retton and Carly Patterson.

Liukin edged out compatriot and world champion Shawn Johnson by 0.6 of a point. China's Yang Yilin picked up the bronze.

“Dazzling display” is understatement of the highest order. The entire performance… by all the competitors… was full of beauty, elegance, and amazing athleticism, not to mention the incredible suspense and tension surrounding the performances by each of the eventual medalists… on each and every apparatus. The LA Times has a more extensive article about Liukin and Johnson… it’s a good read.

And then there was Michael Phelps, who continues to dominate the swimming events and the entire Olympiad. Six gold medals, six world records. And the man isn’t finished. About which I can only say: Wow. Just… Wow! Like everyone else on the planet.

―:☺:―

Hey, Jenny! You can thank me for all that rain we got yesterday afternoon and last evening. I had an appointment to get The Green Hornet detailed yesterday afternoon… and that storm blew in just as the guys finished washing the car and before they waxed it. Actually, they didn’t wax it; I have to take it back in today to get the job finished. The interior is done, as is the engine compartment…which had accumulated an un-bee-leeb-able amount of dust and grime over the past five and a half years of P-Ville living. It’s all clean and shiny now, though… as the exterior will be by the end of the day. But, it's true... want it to rain? Wash the car.

―:☺:―

Today's Pics: Speaking of yesterday’s storm… here are a few pics I took last evening after the worst of it had passed, and before we went into round two.

You can see just the slightest hint of a rainbow here… looking NNE.

Note the dust clouds in this pic, even after some significant rain!

I love the light in this pic… the vibrant green against the nearly black storm skies. Looking ENE.

8 comments:

  1. This was a beautiful post. I enjoyed the words and the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crawling from underneath my rock. LOL! I STILL haven't watched any of the Olympics, and had no idea about those gymnastic girls. Yesterday was first day of school, I was at the school at 7am for cheer practice before peprally, did errands all day with Jeff, then was at the school all afternoon evening for school cookout. I came home exhausted!

    As for the rain, good for you! Glad you got her washed so my crops could have a drink! LOL! Actually, the wind here was something else. One neighbors entire circle sprinkler was turned over, a tree in his yard felled, and the wind knocked Drew down and had him rolling across the driveway! More expected for days to come yet! I'll never turn down a rain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched last night from under my rock as these three beautiful young women took the platform and then took the Gold, Silver and Bronze...it was very moving to see Nastia mouthing ever so slightly the National Anthem as the commentators spoke of her father taking the Gold for Russia 20 years ago and her being born there and now being all AMERICAN....

    As far as your storm....your photos are beautiful..I love storms...as long as they don't cause damage. Out here where the sky goes on forever, you can see them coming for miles and miles....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Abe. Your comment means a lot to me, considering the quality of your photography. I'm but a grasshopper, compared to your mastery.

    Jenny: I saw on the news out of ABQ last evening that Melrose recorded an 81-mph gust... that's some WIND! So... the damage out your way doesn't surprise me in the least. I'm glad you didn't have any real bad stuff.

    And...wow! You were quite the busy, busy girl yesterday, weren't ya? ;-)

    ASW: Our skies are like yours, as is our topography (I have a fairly good idea where you are now, based on Site Meter data...yadda, yadda). And I'm with you: I LOVE storms, as long as there's no damage done. God's Own Light Show, as it's said.

    And yeah, yet again, on the American athletes and the national anthem. I noticed the Chinese girls singing along to their anthem, as well, the other night when they took the team gold. That's just impressive, no matter who does it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for pointing out that the USA channel is covering the Olympics. I get basic cable and USA is one of my channels. Last night we sat down to watch the Women's beach volleyball, but the storm blew in and the electricity went out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I taped it last night and went to bed early. I'm going to watch it this weekend, but I did run in and peek at the results around midnight, when the dogs woke me up barking. I was pulling for Shawn, but I'm glad both Americans took the top two spots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love that our gymnasts were actually of the appropriate age - 16 and 18. Go USA!

    That sky looks familiar - oh yeah, we drove home in that tonite. Another thunderstorm is starting to fade away as we speak.

    New England has been hammered with these storms all summer. They suck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lou: You're welcome... and sorry about your power outage. I had worries of my own in that space last night... we had lotsa lightning and thunder.

    Becky: You're in for a real treat when you watch this... but I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

    Kris: Agreed on the "good on us" comment. And sorry about your WX... I've been following your weather a bit of late, and yeah, you guys are getting hammered this summer.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.