Thursday, August 14, 2008

Smokin'!

Everyone who smokes cigars has either (a) a favorite tobacconist or (b) a favorite internet smoke-shop. I’ve been buying my cigars for years from cigar.com… although one gets the feeling that one internet vendor is the same as the next. That said, I prefer to deal with cigar.com coz they run weekly specials, besides stocking my preferred brand. I glance at the weekly special every Thursday and usually pass it by, especially when the deal involves “no-name” cigars. But I popped for this week’s special, seeing as how the offer is for premium cigars. To wit:

This week we teamed up 12 super premium smokes with our Cigar.com 2 Finger Ashtray. If you have not seen this ashtray yet, let me tell you, this thing is a stunner with an arch design and all black veneer. What about the cigars, you ask? When we say super premium, we mean it. Included are Gurkha, CAO, Rocky Patel and Don Pepin Garcia. For One Day Only, take advantage of this special package for 66% off the regular MSRP!

Sampler Includes 12 Super Premium Cigars + Ashtray
3 x Gurkha Titan Toro (6.2 x 56)
3 x Don Pepin Garcia Vegas Cubanas Generosos (6 x 50)
3 x Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 Robusto (5.5 x 50)
3 x CAO Black Bengal (6 x 50)
1 x Cigar.com Two Finger Ashtray

So… this week’s special will be in the mail on the Brown Truck of Happiness tomorrow and in my grubby lil hands early next week. With a new ashtray!

―:☺:―

I was just out and about running errands in P-Ville and on my way back from Wally-World I saw something that tugged at my heart strings… my old Vette. Well, it probably wasn’t mine but it was identical in year and color and being driven in much the same manner as I drove mine, which is to say jes a lil bit fast. But only a lil bit, ya know.

Which brings us to Today’s Pic…

That would be YrHmblScrb leaning on his late (if one considers nine years gone “late”) and oh-SO-lamented Vette. Taken in Letchworth State Park in Western New York, October of 1999.

(Yeah... it's a re-run. And it's first-gen digital, so the quality...umm... sucks. But you can click for larger, if you wish.)

9 comments:

  1. The cars that were - always the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia sez: The cars that were - always the best!

    Well, in this case...yes. But the current ride is in my all-time Top Three (in no particular order: the Vette, my old Impala, and The Green Hornet). I can't say enough good things about The Green Hornet. She'll be seven years old this coming October and (knock on wood!) I haven't had one single problem with her. And she still gets admiring glances and comments... in addition to being a real blast to drive (at nearly 30 mpg, too).

    Lou: Thank ya, Ma'am!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is it about seeing that brown truck coming down the street? I think I would like to drive a UPS truck...everyone is happy to see UPS stop in front of their house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thought of you two nights ago brother. If I'd had your mobile #, you'd have been on the short list that received the following text around 2140 EDT Tuesday: "At the end of the pier, beyond breakers, beyond fishermen & families watching them, quiet lapping of swells on pilings, Heine, La Aurora Cameroon, new life." Of course about halfway through that La Aurora, the gentle breeze became a damned stiff wind, followed shortly thereafter by horizontal rain. But it was warm enough not matter much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the things I'm digging about the apartment I'm living in this year is that it's more of a townhouse so access to the outside is much easier and facilities once outside are much improved, with there being a pseudo-porch. Meaning there will be much more cigar smoking this year and that I'll be able to do it in a much more enjoyable atmosphere instead of standing outside a door being surrounded by a bunch of addicts getting their nicotine fix from cancer sticks. :-p

    ReplyDelete
  6. The car looks great and the guy leaning on it does too.

    I was more interested in your cigar story. I didn't see any prices. I saw a special on cable about cigars and had no idea that some people pay hundreds of dollars for each cigar. I was stunned.

    Brookville Daily Photo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing like coming upon a picture (or, even more, in person example) of one of your old cars to conjure up nostalgia...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy sez: I think I would like to drive a UPS truck...everyone is happy to see UPS stop in front of their house.

    You're right, Amy. I have a great relationship with my UPS Lady, but I also have a LOT of sympathy for her, too. Those trucks aren't air conditioned, and my UPS Lady always looks uncomfortable, hot and sweaty when she arrives at my door. The fact she remains good natured in spite of her miserable work environment is a real tribute to her. I don't think I'd want to drive a UPS truck... at least not in New Mexico in the summer!

    Doc: Wow! I can just picture that... and I envy you! Quite the change from the Front Range, eh? Too bad about the rain and wind, but as you said: at least it was warm.

    Mike: That's good news about your new living arrangements... standing in a doorway just ain't conducive to enjoying a good cigar. I hear ya about the cigarette smokers, too. I used to be one of those guys, for waaay too long.

    Abe: I know that (some) people pay outrageous amounts of money for some cigars, but that ain't me. The absolute maximum I've ever paid for a single cigar is around $25.00, and that was a VERY rare occasion. My regular smoke costs about six bucks a stick; the cigars I ordered yesterday would have been pricier, had they not been on sale.

    Jim: You're right about that nostalgia thing. Just following that blue Vette for a few miles yesterday fired off a LOT of synapses. I associate a LOT of Good Times with that car.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.