Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Oil, A Missed Opportunity, and More Freakin' Wind

Larry Kudlow has an interesting article at Real Clear Politics titled “Voters Say Drill.” Excerpt:

Public worry number one is now oil, jobs, and the economy, with the inflationary woes of the U.S. dollar right underneath. The candidate who can connect with these issues will win in November. But so far neither Obama nor McCain are dealing with the new political reality.

In fact, it's all about oil right now. The price has doubled over the past year while the economy has slumped.

But here's an eye opener. Recent polling data from Gallup show the percentage of voters blaming oil companies for skyrocketing gasoline prices has dropped from 34 percent to 20 percent over the past year. At the same time, support for more drilling in U.S. coastal and wilderness areas has increased to 57 percent from 41 percent.

And the candidates remain blind to these shifts.

Obama continues to lambaste oil companies while congressional Democrats push for cap-and-trade. They're missing the point, big time. The public wants more energy and more fuel to cut high prices and spur economic growth. But the costly cap-and-trade plan would produce less fuel and less growth. It would only raise gas pump prices while mounting a Gosplan-type taxing, spending, and regulating program that would be the moral equivalent of Hillarycare on nationalized medicine.

Sen. McCain has an opening here. Yet he, like Obama, would have voted for cap-and-trade, which went down to defeat in last week's Senate vote. And while Mr. McCain favors some off-shore production and has been strong on nuclear development, he is against drilling in ANWR Alaska.

On the one hand this is reassuring, assuming the Gallup numbers Kudlow’s quoting are correct. Reassuring in the sense that the American public gets it, “it” being the relationships between supply and demand, the fact that oil prices are not controlled by Big Oil, and there are existing solutions that will mitigate—not solve— the impact of foreign oil. On the other hand, both candidates’ positions are out of touch with reality as we know it today. Obama is unlikely to change his position—there’s too much liberal dogma involved— but I strongly suspect McCain ain’t stupid and will change his policies on drilling in ANWR and cap-and-trade. And that would be a relatively easy thing to do. McCain could simply say “I opposed drilling in ANWR when oil was trading at $50.00 a barrel. That was then, and this is now…” The same goes for expanding off-shore drilling, the decision for which, I believe, McCain advocates leaving to the individual states.

Much has been said over the past week or so about congressional Republicans having a bona-fide opening where drilling for American-owned oil is concerned, an opening that could reverse the party’s downhill slide. This isn’t rocket science… siding with the voters is usually the correct thing to do, as is opposing liberal stupidity.

Related editorial in USA Today… “Our view on energy policy: Alaska drilling is no quick fix, but it needs to happen.

Further still: The Heritage Foundation’s “What Is Driving the High Oil Prices? Their conclusion:

High oil prices are here to stay due to heightened political risks, irresponsible behavior by oil-producing governments and growing global demand outside U.S. control. Oil is a finite resource which is produced by a partially cartelized imperfect market. Consumer countries should expand cooperation in order to level the playing field and reduce prices by increasing investment and production, promoting conservation, and diminishing geopolitical risks. Yet, in the long term, high demand, inadequate supply and severe geopolitical risks combine to make oil a problematic transportation fuel.

Translation: Don’t expect a return to $2.50/gallon gasoline prices, ever. Ain’t gonna happen. But I don’t think it’s unreasonable to hope for prices to stabilize at current levels, or perhaps slightly lower.

(Image by Michael Ramirez, via Townhall.com)

―:☺:―

So… Red Wings captain Nick Lidstrom (left) and goalie Chris Osgood (right) were on Leno last night

An audience member from New York asked Leno, “I know you have Justin Timberlake on the show tonight. In his movie (Love Guru) he plays a hockey player. Who trained him to play hockey?”

Leno said, “I understand that he did have a few guys teach him about hockey. It’s so funny that he asks this question, because we have those guys here tonight. From the Stanley Cup champion Detroit Red Wings, Nicklas Lidstrom and Chris Osgood. Come on out here boys!”

After Lidstrom set the Cup down on the stage, two audience members – one in a No. 17 Gerard Gallant jersey -- stood up and applauded, drawing the attention of Leno, who asked them “are you guys from Detroit?”

The two Detroiters were then asked if they had ever seen the Stanley Cup in person. There response was, “not that close.”

Leno then invited the two up on stage with the Red Wings.

Leno said he knew that the Wings had won the Cup before, but asked if winning it again was just as thrilling.

“It never gets old,” Osgood said. “It was a big thrill not only for Nick and I and our teammates, but for the city of Detroit. It really lifted the spirit of the area.”

Leno that gaffed when he mistakenly said, “I know Justin taught you some things about hockey. Did he teach you anything that he knows?”

Lidstrom than picked the Cup over his head, turned to band leader Kevin Eubanks and said, “hit it.”

While the band played Timberlake’s “Bringing Sexy Back”, the Red Wings’ duet changed the lyrics to “We’re bringing Stanley back!”

Would you believe I missed it? I wrote myself a Post-It and put it on my monitor. I even told SN2 about it around 1800 hrs last night when he called. As late as 2200 hrs. I said to myself “Don’t Forget!!” And then I fell asleep on the couch while reading, and missed it.

I’m such a putz sometimes. (ed: sometimes?)

―:☺:―

In the “Bitch, Bitch, Bitch” Department:

It’s the frickin’ wind that gets me, Gentle Reader. I can deal with the heat.

11 comments:

  1. But I don’t think it’s unreasonable to hope for prices to stabilize at current levels, or perhaps slightly lower.


    Somehow I don't feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If fuel stabilizes at current, the price of hay sure won't go up to offset it. This is going to put alot of farmers out of business. We are already contemplating selling the ranch, building on the farm closer to town, and Jeff getting a job in town in addition to farming. I, in the meantime, will finish getting my teaching degree and going to work within 3 years after I get the youngest off to school. This is our most likely scenerio.

    I wanted to sleep with the windows open and AC off last night, but the wind wasn't going to let that happen. I hate the wind. I hate the drought even more.

    Gosh, I'm in a sour mood today, ain't I? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gas prices went DOWN in my neighborhood in the last week... albeit from $4.49 to $4.47... but it was at least 3 different stations.
    Buck, invest in a DVR... if it wasn't for that, I would never watch any TV, no matter how many post-its I have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diva: I don't feel good about this, either. But the Europeans have been living with gas prices that exceed ours (by far) for years and they're still managing to muddle through. Lots more to say about Europe in this space... like smaller cars, smaller countries, mass transit, etc...

    Jenny: I hear ya about farmers, and I both agree and sympathize. It's the specter of inflation that scares the Bejeezus out of me. I feel some inflation is inevitable, just how much remains to be seen.

    Susan: It's never ceased to amaze me... and make me wonder... why CA gas prices are SO much higher than the rest of the country. It can't ALL be taxes...

    A DVR? Aiiieeee! You're suggesting I should get into the 21st Century, aren't ya? ;-)

    I have given some serious thought to that, but the fact of the matter is I don't watch much teevee other than the news, History Channel, Discovery, the WX Channel and college ball/hockey. Throw in the fact I'm so tight that I squeak when I walk (money-wise, only. The ol' body is definitely loose these days.) and... well, ya get the idea, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it your wind that keeps blowing up our thunderstorms? If so, then I am just as sick of as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy sez: Is it your wind that keeps blowing up our thunderstorms? If so, then I am just as sick of as you are.

    Lou has often noted she gets our weather a few hours after it leaves here. The problem right now, of course, is that the wind ain't frickin' left yet!! I tend to bitch about the wind a lot, but this year seems worse than usual. Or maybe it's ME that's worse than usual. There's a pretty good chance of that... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I second the DVR. We got one this last year and I no longer watch anything that hasn't been prerecorded first. Nice to sit down and watch something on MY schedule and just pause it when I'm interrupted (which happens ALOT!).

    BTW, got my IRS love letter today and it contained good news! yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have been paying big prices for homes and cars for years and no one complains - in fact, it was more like "oh yeah the economy is good" and the bankers got rich. Now that the stuff has hit the fan, the gubmint is bailing them out. Gas prices needed to go up (maybe not as much as they did, but...) for lots of reasons. Americans need to get realistic on oil and gas. We are a wasteful group of people. We send our production and jobs to other countries (and our money) and then whine when those countries charge us out the wahzoo. What will the prices have to get to before Americans will make some changes? And I am pointing the finger at myself here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenny: SN1 has a DVR and uses it a LOT during hockey games... it's his own personal "instant replay." I should get one based on THAT feature, alone.

    GOOD news about your love-letter from the IRS!! Kewl!

    Well said, Lou. We Yanks DO have a lot of hubris, and it's hard to justify our energy consumption habits from a moral point of view (vis-à-vis the habits of the rest of the world). That said, I'm of the opinion that one should be able to do most anything one damned well pleases, as long as you can afford it and no one is harmed. It's the "harm" part that gets ugly...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being able to do as you please is the beauty of life in America. Sometimes I wonder if the end of democracy as we know it will come in the form of well meaning Dems trying to make everyone "equal" and policing our thought process so that we have no evil thoughts about our neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The PC Police (which, in my book, is synonymous with "Democrats") have already taken away a large part of our free speech. And that's a damned shame. I find myself thinking all too often "you can't say that" and it literally pisses me off... the fact that I've fallen victim to that mind-set, in spite of myself. But your larger point is well-taken, and I agree, yet again.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.