Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Insight


So… I stumbled on this neat YouTube feature (that’s a screenshot, above. click for larger) as I was uploading those B-2 crash animations yesterday. I’m late to the party (as usual) coz Google rolled out the “Insight” product on my birthday this year…and the bastids didn’t even say “Happy Birthday! Here’s your analytics!”
I don’t upload a whole lot of vids… as a matter of fact I’ve only put up nine in approximately 18 months since I established my YouTube account. (“Nine,” sez you? “I only see seven.” That’s because I posted the B-2 vids yesterday; Insight works a day in arrears.) I was sort of surprised the vids I’ve uploaded got as many views as they have. But that’s neither here nor there…
Look at the “Demographics” section in the screenshot. Is it just me, or do you find those demographics worrisome? By that I mean how does Google know the age and gender of YouTube viewers? I don’t believe I’ve ever given Google that information about myself, so how do they get it? I googled (heh) “Insight” and went six pages deep into the results, looking for some “under the hood” information about Insight and came up empty… all I found were press releases and one Google/YouTube video telling you what Insight does, but NOT how it works.
Enquiring (and paranoid) Minds Wanna Know…
(Added: Since Blogger is a Google product, it occurs to me that I have given Google a lot of personal info... including my age, gender, etc. But not everyone has a blog, and not everyone blogs on Blogger. Just sayin'.)

7 comments:

  1. And they didn't even say happy birthday to you?! That ain't right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several years ago I mentioned blogging to one of my father's friends. He said that he didn't own a computer and didn't want the government spying into his home. I remember thinking, "whatevever!" But maybe he was right...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bass-ackwards cousin freaked out because I found his phone number on the internet. His listed number. He's wrapped a little too tight.

    It is rather interesting what you can find out about yourself on the internet, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was it Steve Jobs who said "You have no privacy, get over it."? How nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enquiring (and paranoid) Minds Wanna Know… yep,we do :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course, there's no telling how many folks lie about age/gender on their blogs. But, perhaps it all evens out, with the youngsters pretending to be older and the oldsters pretending to be younger canceling each other out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lou sez: Several years ago I mentioned blogging to one of my father's friends. He said that he didn't own a computer and didn't want the government spying into his home. I remember thinking, "whatevever!" But maybe he was right...

    Well, we're not quite as bad as China, but there's always the potential...

    Amy: Gotta agree: your cousin IS wrapped a lil too tight in this case.

    Lin: Nice, indeed. And screw Jobs... I'm NOT "getting over it."

    Dawn: Yep! Ab-so-lute-ly.

    Jim sez: Of course, there's no telling how many folks lie about age/gender on their blogs.

    Are you saying you're really a 14 year-old girl who happens to be a Celtics fan?

    As for me: I never lie. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.