Monday, June 09, 2008

Warning!


My Buddy Ed in Florida sends along the following:

Liquor manufacturers have accepted the Government's suggestion that the following warning labels be placed immediately on all varieties of alcohol containers:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may leave you wondering what the hell happened to your bra and panties.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol is a major factor in dancing like a retard.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may cause you to tell your friends over and over again that you love them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may cause you to think you can sing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to telephone them at four in the morning.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you can logically converse with members of the opposite sex without spitting.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may cause pregnancy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe you are invisible.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may cause a disturbance in the time-space continuum, leaving you unable to account for large chunks of time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you have mystical Kung Fu powers, resulting in you getting your ass kicked.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may cause you to roll over in the morning and see something really scary.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol is the leading cause of inexplicable rug burns on the forehead, knees and lower back.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WARNING: The crumsumpten of alcohol may Mack you tink you kan tpye reel gode.

I have first-hand experience with every single one of these (with the exceptions of the “bra and panties” and pregnancy items), so I know they are fact…especially the third from the last. About which: Aiiieee! (And if you read this, Dan, keep your trap shut!)

I don’t think warning labels will do ANY good, though. Those dire gub’mint warnings on cigarette packs had ZERO effect on me. But… apples and oranges, perhaps.

More on drunkenness from an old post I put up back in March of '06:

Apropos of nothing, as is my wont, of late. Quite some time ago I read Dan Jenkins’ novel “Baja Oklahoma,” which was a good tale…funny, creative and full of little folk gems. One of those gems impressed me SO much I took the trouble to transcribe the list and pin it to the wall above my desk. This, of course, was in the way-way-back. But…it’s a very relevant piece of work. Here, for your illumination/edification, are Dan Jenkins’ “Ten Stages of Drunkenness:”

1. Witty and Charming
2. Rich and Powerful
3. Benevolent
4. Clairvoyant
5. Fuck Dinner
6. Patriotic
7. Crank up the Enola Gay
8. Witty and Charming, Part II
9. Invisible
10. Bulletproof

I don’t believe I’ve ever made it to “Bulletproof.” Evidence of that fact is: I’m still alive. I have, however, been “Witty and Charming, Part II” on a few occasions and “Invisible” once or twice. The most common state I arrived at was Number Four and perhaps Five…achieved nearly every Friday night whilst I was living in SFO. Ah, nostalgia!

Truer words were never written or spoken. I usually only get to Stage Three these days. But Stage Five is not unknown...

20 comments:

  1. I don't get past stage 5 before I hit a new stage: just go to sleep.

    Warning: consumption of alcohol when you are 17 may cause you to entering a tight jeans contest when you are wearing baggy jeans. I'm just sayin'...

    Or think you can walk thru fire.

    May cause your current boyfriend to tell your exboyfriend that he's a good guy, no matter what you have said about him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, golly, gee...if I had my life to live over again I would give some of these things a try. I remember the first time I had several, "Screwdrivers" in Japan in a bar where every drink you buy you also buy a drink for your girl you didn't come in with. ANyway, I kept falling on my ass when I would get up to go to the toilet. I don't suppose I would get far. Your list is pretty extensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, there are those stages the next morning of thinking you might be dying, hoping for death, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me laugh.

    And I plead the 5th.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cracked me up. #5 is usually my last thought BEFORE I start drinking. It goes down hill pretty quickly from there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buck sez, "Aiiiee!"

    Dan, If you read this you'd best speak up. Otherwise the rest of us will just have to use our imaginations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny: Were those three examples from personal experience? :-)

    Abe: I have some limited (heh) experience with those types of establishments. In Japan, too, circa '68 or so.

    Dan: Thank you!

    Lou: Argh, hangovers. There really should be some sort of list quantifying the degree of "hung-overness."

    Ash: You should plead the 5th, if only because of your age! ;-) (Not that I let that lil technicality dissuade ME...)

    Amy said: #5 is usually my last thought BEFORE I start drinking. It goes down hill pretty quickly from there.

    I hear that, and have often operated in the same mode. Especially on Friday evenings after work.

    Bob: The Dan I addressed in the post is Dan @ #3, above. And he was a party to the incident I alluded to. Neither of us will say more. I hope. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will carry this to my grave.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate to admit that some of those warnings sound very familiar... well, almost all of them actually ;)
    That's why I now stop at 1 or 2.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I plan on being at least a level 8 when I get back to Thailand in a few days. I've also been on Liberty in the PI and Japan several times back in the 80's


    Unkawill

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dan sez, "I will carry this to my grave....."

    Alrighty, then. Hmmm. Hmmm. In light of this loyalty and dedication, the imagination must reel, lest sanity be lost.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dan: You and me both, Bro!

    Susan sez: I hate to admit that some of those warnings sound very familiar... well, almost all of them actually ;)
    That's why I now stop at 1 or 2.


    I think I'd LOVE to have partied with you back in the day, Susan! :-)

    Unkawill: I have stories from the PeeEye, Unkawill. One such is here. As I said over at Kris' place, you most definitely deserve the break, Brother. Enjoy and tip a Singha for me, if you would! Or a Mekong, if that's more your speed...

    Bob: Feel free to imagine away. I'll only say that "truth is stranger than fiction," and never more so than in this case. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. "WARNING: The consumption of alcohol is a major factor in dancing like a retard"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to telephone them at four in the morning."

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


    I think those were my favorites .... but I laughed my way through the whole list.
    hahahahahahahahahaha......

    ReplyDelete
  14. Made it to #5 at my nieces wedding reception last Saturday night!

    ReplyDelete
  15. *Believing you are the most incredibly attractive human on the planet...
    *Believing you are the most incredibly irresistable human on the planet..
    Realizing you have toilet paper hanging out the back of your pants....
    Priceless!
    I've watched this occur... and it was a great source of amusement...
    I have on occasion made it to #5 but lately rarely make it past #1 or #2. What a party pooper, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Been there, many times, but not in the past 20 years, thank God.

    Just for comparison, Buck, I'll tell you about my experiences with cocaine - also not for 20 years, thank God.

    From the very first snort, you automatically get to steps 1 through 5. However, 6 through 9 are fairly much unreachable no matter how much of the shit you do. Step 10 is how you have to feel BEFORE doing it.

    For pot, obviously Step 5 never enters into the picture. As a matter of fact, Step 5 is often the only Step :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sharon: The calling your ex- at 0400 kinda hit home with me but I'll offer no details... ;-)

    Pat: Wedding reception food usually ain't that good anyway, Bud! Those were some nice pics you posted.

    Alison sez: I have on occasion made it to #5 but lately rarely make it past #1 or #2. What a party pooper, huh?

    That's me these days, too. You're not alone by any means!

    Jim: I envy your candidness about your past life. And I DO understand what you're saying.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The older I get, the more I find I don't even need to crack a beer to reach number 5. Cook wanted; apply at the Rat HQ, bring samples.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now that's funny, Lin! (I DO relate...) :-)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.