Saturday, April 05, 2008

Fine W(h)ines...

Today is one of only two days every year the Trinity Atomic Test Site is open to the public, and I should be there…rather than typing this post. But: best laid plans, mice, men, tires, wind, etc., etc., came into play and I’m here, not there.

My Buddy Greg in Detroit called me up to remind me about Trinity last week, we discussed it, and I made a mental commitment to go. Trinity isn’t a long way from P-Ville…about 200 miles or so… so a day trip seemed to be in order. Four hours down, an hour or two at the site, and four hours back…with a little time off for lunch and/or dinner in Ruidoso… or somewhere like it. I could pretty much do the whole deal in daylight, should I choose. So, why am I not there, you ask, Gentle Reader? Let me explain…
I had a flat fixed a few months back and the guy who fixed the flat didn’t balance the wheel correctly. As a result I’ve been living with a very minor, yet irritating, vibration that occurs between 72 and 80 mph…right in The Green Hornet’s cruising sweet-spot. So, I got off the dime yesterday, thinking I couldn’t stand eight hours of bad vibes (heh) and drove over to The Big(ger) City to get that wheel balanced. That was when the guys at the tire shop told me I’d be throwing my money away and I had better replace the rear tires, doncha know, coz they’re worn out. And they were. Are. This is an embarrassing admission on my part. I’m always on top of things like this, to the point of replacing tires well before they’re worn out. It’s a safety thing, not to mention performance… as in handling/cornering. But… in my defense… I had been checking the health and well-being of my tires, but only the fronts, mainly because they’re more accessible and visible. Here’s the strange part: the front tires are fine and have at least two or three thousand miles left in them. The two rear tires, OTOH, are worn to the point where the tread wear bars are flush with the tread… or as the tire guys said… “You’re running slicks.”

So. The Big(ger) City being Clovis, there were all sorts of tires available for garden variety SUVs, pick-ups, and Hondas. And none for a Miata, of course. “Gotta order those, they’ll be in Monday or Tuesday, at the earliest” sez the helpful tire guy. Not only are tires in my size not immediately available, they’re immediately expensive once they arrive… ergo: Thought required. The last time I put tires on the Green Hornet I did what most sensible people do: I bought them from The Tire Rack. I’m not sure I want to go that way this time, however, mainly because the last time I bought tires I bought much more tire than I need here in New Mexico, with its arrow-straight roads and dearth of corners. Goodyear Eagle F1s just might be overkill (and overpriced, locally, at $200.00 a pop), especially in light of my recent mini-rant on frugality. Bottom line: I made no deals yesterday…even if I could have done so. But I need to replace those tires before I take a road trip further than out to the base or back over to The Big(ger) City. And even then I don’t like riding on worn-out tires. Add in the fact we have major wind still at play here on The High Plains and the bottom line is no road trip to Trinity. I’m thinking the weather will be better in October and I’ll definitely have good rubber on the car then.

The illustrations were taken from The Wiki’s article on the Trinity Test Site.

―:☺:―

Too bad about the above. I’m feeling a need for a road trip, and Trinity would have been perfect. I’ve been very out of sorts lately and I find there are a tremendous number of things that simply irritate the Hell out of me… for no apparent reason. And some things irritate me for VERY good reasons, such as politics. You may have noticed I’m in yet another of my apolitical phases, Gentle Reader. We also happen to be in a dead zone where presidential politics are concerned. The on-going Democrat soap-opera is moderately interesting in a “He said – She said” sort of way, but even that gets old after a while. Spare me the Clinton tax returns, if you will. Please.

The Big Event on the horizon is the upcoming congressional testimony/progress report on the war by Ambassador Crocker and Gen. Petraeus… but I expect nothing but sniping and partisan rancor out of that, based on the press conference given by San Fran Nan and her Band of Merry Men this past Thursday or Friday. I watched about half of their presser before shouting a few selected obscenities at my teevee and flipping over to the WX Channel, which is infinitely more useful. As long as their whining, nagging and berating global warming climate change Chicken Littles aren’t around, anyway. Speaking of which: TWC hired a side-kick for Heidi a while back. We now have two full-time Prophets of Doom. The new gal reminds me for all the world of Morticia Addams (except Morticia was better looking), and that’s sorta appropriate, innit? Just sayin’.

See what I mean, Gentle Reader? Irritation ‘R’ Us.
―:☺:―

I did manage to get my taxes done and in the mail before April this year… I did ‘em this past weekend and mailed ‘em out on Monday. Wonder of wonders: I’m getting a refund. I never get a refund, what with not being in the business of lending money to the Feds, which I leave to the Chinese and people like them. But the convergence of The Bobby Deduction (it’s my year; The Second Mrs. Pennington and I alternate), coupled with an over-withholding of Federal tax on this year’s 401(k) distribution resulted in a refund. I was very disappointed/irritated that 90% of my Social Security is taxable, which was yet another reason I over-withheld tax on the 401(k) distribution. Planning for the unknown ‘R’ (also) Us.

Except where tires are concerned.

15 comments:

  1. I think that is something I'd like to do sometime too, however, it's more like 2,000 miles for me!

    I've done crazy things like the tires too, but heck, at least you can say you didn't let things bother you too bad...you lasted longer than I would have with that vib.

    Take this week...had some plumbing done and as soon as they left the shower was dripping. I called the next day demanding their return, but alas they didn't show yesterday. This morning I took the second shower in the thing and when I returned home this afternoon I noticed there was no drip! Must have been some debris in the line that finally washed out.

    Now I'll have to sheepishly call Monday and tell them to forget it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to pay twice the amount of taxes I have previously paid because the interest my savings account earned Why you ask? Because I am the exception to the rule. The IRS has found that parents(in a high tax bracket) have given their interest income to their children (in a low tax bracket). Even though that is not the case for me I still have to pay for it. My accountant said he had heard of it but never seen it. Lucky me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think buying safe tires for your car would put you into the same category as those who deliberately blow their money. Still, there's nothing wrong with shopping for the best bargain.

    I e-filed for the first time this year. Taxes were done, filed, and directly deposited into my account in less than two weeks. I'd never done that because of the cost of Turbo Tax. This year I found one called Complete Tax that was less than half the price of Turbo Tax. It's what I'll be using from now on. Beats trying to add all that stuff up--and I don't even itemize.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad you missed Trinity - but VERY glad you will be driving safely again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another W(h)ine.... did you watch any of the Bear Sterns Senate Banking committee hearings? Don't get me started!

    ReplyDelete
  6. :| You mean you didn't take that first picture yourself? ;)

    I'm going to send you a JPEG fo a contemporary article about Trinity. I hope it cheers you up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is your refund enough to buy tires? Road trips are a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Next time you're shopping for a good read, Buck, give Bradford Morrow's, Trinity Fields a try. I don't think you'll be sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well another week I've been out of the loop. Have reports to do, taxes, etc. etc. For a long while one of my rear tires had been making a noise, somebody told me sounded like one of the belts in it was bad. Well a month+ ago I was driving on 590north/104 east, just coming around the curve from 590 to 104 and the thing went on me. Cruising about 65 in the left lane. Fortunately traffic was light and I was able to get over into the right lane and pulled off in the wide shoulder just before the Bay Bridge. Before I could decide if I should call my friend first or AAA, one of those emergency road service vehicles pulled up behind me and they fixed me up with my donut spare. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, you have all sorts of things to talk about, but one in particular caught my eye.

    Morticia!

    I think Carolyn Jones was one of the sexiest women to ever grace my TV screen. I still start to get a stiffie whenever she slithers into view in that skin-tight black dress. Rowr!

    I know you were talking about taxes and war and nuclear bombs and stuff, but Morticia! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've tried to comment twice and my computer is eating them I think!
    anyway if this goes thru I just wanted to say sorry 'bout the missed trip and I'm glad you found out about the tires, they sound VERY worn!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mushy sez: I've done crazy things like the tires too, but heck, at least you can say you didn't let things bother you too bad...you lasted longer than I would have with that vib.

    Take this week...had some plumbing done ...

    Now I'll have to sheepishly call Monday and tell them to forget it!


    The vibe wasn't annoying at all... until I hit the highway. It was non-existent around town at low speeds, which made it oh-so-easy to do the mañana thing.

    Good luck on your call! I hate it when that happens...

    Ashley sez: ...Because I am the exception to the rule.

    That's just ONE of the problems with the tax code today... too many rules with waaay too many exceptions. One shouldn't need an accountant to do taxes, but we have a whole frickin' INDUSTRY based on tax preparation...which is why the tax code won't change in MY lifetime.

    Becky sez: I don't think buying safe tires for your car would put you into the same category as those who deliberately blow their money. Still, there's nothing wrong with shopping for the best bargain.

    I e-filed for the first time this year. ...


    Agreed on the safe bits, Becky. But the price range for tires runs from $60.00 to $140, each (at The Tire Rack, more locally). I "went big" last time and am questioning the necessity/utility of "ultra-performance" tires. Those performance tires SUCK in snow, too.

    Being a Luddite I've never e-filed. Probably never will, either, unless the IRS stops accepting paper tax returns.

    Cynthia sez: Too bad you missed Trinity - but VERY glad you will be driving safely again!

    Not safe just yet, but I will be before too long!

    Fire Fox sez: Another W(h)ine.... did you watch any of the Bear Sterns Senate Banking committee hearings? Don't get me started!

    Yes, I did. Both sets, with the JP Morgan & Bear guys, and then with Bernanke and Co. And I absolutely hear ya about "not getting me started." There's a reason I've been apolitical lately.


    Reese sez: I'm going to send you a JPEG fo a contemporary article about Trinity. I hope it cheers you up.

    I'd seen that Onion front-page before, as you suspected, Bob. And I still owe ya a "thank you" reply for that, too. Forgive me. It's been VERY low and slow in these parts for the past few.

    JD sez: Is your refund enough to buy tires? Road trips are a good thing.

    Enough to buy eight or ten of the things... but money isn't/wasn't the issue. It's my embarrassing lack of attention to detail and the fall-out from same that got to me. And there WILL be a road trip of some sort in the very near future... ;-)

    Doc sez: Next time you're shopping for a good read, Buck, give Bradford Morrow's, Trinity Fields a try. I don't think you'll be sorry.

    Thanks for the recommendation, Doc. I read the reviews at Amazon, and this bit from one of 'em raised my eyebrows:

    He explains to Brice, now a socially conscious lawyer, that Vietnam was America's punishment for Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

    Add in the "two friends in love with the same woman" meme just MIGHT cut too close to the bone...

    Laurie sez: Well a month+ ago I was driving on 590north/104 east, just coming around the curve from 590 to 104 and the thing went on me.

    Aiiieeee! NOT a good place to lose a tire! (As if there IS such a thing as a "good place" to have a blow-out) I'm glad you got away clean and the roadside guys were there for ya...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jim sez: I know you were talking about taxes and war and nuclear bombs and stuff, but Morticia! Yum.

    There ya go, Jim. You found the sweet spot in an otherwise undistinguished post. I agree with you about Ms. Jones. Hawt.

    Dawn sez: 've tried to comment twice and my computer is eating them I think!
    anyway if this goes thru I just wanted to say sorry 'bout the missed trip and I'm glad you found out about the tires, they sound VERY worn!


    Thanks, Dawn. Sorry about the 'puter, but I've been there, too. Blogger always seems to eat my comments with embedded links and/or other labor-intensive formatting, resulting in profanity of nuclear melt-down proportions...

    The tires aren't that worn... there's no cord showing through. Yet. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry about the trip that didn't happen and the tires, but yay on the tax refund!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jenny sez: Sorry about the trip that didn't happen and the tires, but yay on the tax refund!

    Thanks, Jenny. And yeah, I'm quite pleased with the "found money," even if it IS mine to begin with. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.