Saturday, March 08, 2008

Late For the Sky

(with apologies to Jackson Browne)

―:☺:―

A most persuasive argument against The Obamanon:

Europe’s media and left-wing intelligentsia see Barack Obama as the most appealing candidate for the U.S. presidency. He exemplifies what the French leftist magazine Le Nouvel Observateur calls “the America we like.” Most Europeans deny that they’re anti-American; they argue instead that there are two Americas—the good and the bad. Michael Moore is a good American, honored with the Cannes film festival’s highest prize in 2006 for his anti-Bush fantasy documentary Fahrenheit 9/11. Other good Americans include Robert Redford, Mia Farrow, Noam Chomsky, Barbra Streisand, and Philip Roth. Charlton Heston and Billy Graham are bad—as bad as McDonald’s—and so, of course, are President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney.

Let us understand why, from the European perspective, Obama is good.

Well, now. I’d say the lede graf is more than enough reason… on its own… not to vote for young Barack, wouldn’t you, Gentle Reader? But wait!… as that obnoxious Billy Mays says screams while flogging Oxy-moron or whatever it is… there’s more! And it won’t cost you $19.95, either. “Europe ♥ Obama; For continental elites, the candidate exemplifies ‘the good American.’” Yours, free, just for the reading and but one click away.

―:☺:―

And speaking of Billy Mays… as I just did… that guy sells a lot of stuff. And cleans up doing it, too.

―:☺:―

Why does every useless (or nearly so) thing “as seen on TV” sell for $19.95?

―:☺:―

Interesting, this:

That’s a good political ad, although I did raise my eyebrow just a bit when I saw the implicit comparisons made to Churchill and T. Roosevelt. I think Senator McCain has a ways to go before he can make those sorts of comparisons, in all honesty. And that’s considering his POW story, which is genuinely heroic but not unlike those of Bud Day or Lance Sijan, to name only two. There are many more. Still and even, the comparisons work better with McCain than they would with the other two (Democrat) candidates. In their cases I wouldn’t have raised my eyebrow… I’d have laughed.

―:☺:―

Today’s Pic: Daisies. And someone lurks therein.

North Bend, Oregon. 1979.

9 comments:

  1. Great, I saw that last photo just as I clicked the comments button and now I've forgotten what I was going to say. But, Gee, you did a great job of blending into that redwood fence.
    That photo is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that picture of you lurking in the daisies. It brought a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, how cute (the daisies). Made me smile, too.

    Oxyclean is wonderful. I'm just sayin'. But I don't get it off the TV. Walmart has it. LOL! $7 a bucket. It it truly is wonderful on baby stains.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was at NAS Whidbey Island, WA at this time. We had tulips and mushrooms(open to conjecture)
    the tulips were nice though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lin sez: But, Gee, you did a great job of blending into that redwood fence.

    Yeah, once upon a time women could lay in bed and sing Dylan songs to themselves about me ("wonderin' if he'd changed at all/if his hair was still red"). They still can, I suppose, but the answer's radically different. ;-)

    Thanks, Becky!

    Jenny sez: Oxyclean is wonderful. I'm just sayin'.

    I don't doubt it for a moment. Billy Mays is still obnoxious, tho. ;-)
    And thanks for the cute (?) comment, Jenny. (wry grin, here)

    Anon sez: I was at NAS Whidbey Island, WA at this time. We had tulips and mushrooms(open to conjecture)
    the tulips were nice though.


    I've been up in that part of the world, Anon. SN2 was on a frigate home-ported in Everett once upon a time. You were fortunate to be assigned there...it really is nice, and Seattle is but a hop, skip and a jump away.

    We had lotsa mushrooms down Oregon way, too. I liked the wild morels... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had to look up "lede graf". Here's one thing I found:
    John Cowan said...
    Historically, the terms "hed", "graf", "lede", "dek" (and its synonym "subhed") and "HTK" (headline to come; i.e., not yet written) were deliberate misspellings used to distinguish editorial remarks written on the copy from the copy itself.

    As such, they should never appear in running prose, even prose about journalism; this is a rule more often honored in the breach nowadays, though.
    Well poop, poop de doo.

    Billy Mays: Represents all that is bad, crass and evil with American Advertising to day. Tasteless, inane and a piintless person judging from his mouthings.
    Europeans judging America through movie stars, religion, politicians in a system they do not comprehend and a form of freedom they don't have, but have made efforts to copy. I'll really loose a lot of sleep over that. Farack Obama? No way. The man is not a savior, not the answer, not a man I can trust.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know that you were a flower child. Flower Power to you:) Daisies are one of my favorites probably because they are simple, beautiful, and come back year after year without my having to do any work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Evaluation heuristic for things emanating from Europe:

    If they eat it, drink it, listen to it or look at it for purposes of artistic appreciation, you might want to pay attention.

    Otherwise, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cat sez: As such, they should never appear in running prose, even prose about journalism; this is a rule more often honored in the breach nowadays, though.

    Yep...honored in the breach, as it were. (And is.)

    Agree with your opinion on Mr. Mays, Cat. He's good at what he does and has profited handsomely (seemingly) from his labors. But so have some bank robbers, too. Neither activity is honorable (in my eyes) or right.

    Lou sez: I didn't know that you were a flower child. Flower Power to you:)

    Well, I wasn't, in the fullness of the term. But I did have some tendencies, however. I agree with ya on daisies, too. I always planted some in each and every garden I had over the years, for just the reasons you mention, Lou. That, and the fact they tend to last a good long while once you put 'em in a vase.

    Barry sez: Evaluation heuristic for things emanating from Europe:

    If they eat it, drink it, listen to it or look at it for purposes of artistic appreciation, you might want to pay attention.

    Otherwise, not so much.


    I LIKE that, Barry. Well said!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.