Friday, March 07, 2008

What Passes for My Foodie Post

There’s a bit of a food meme going on over at the Southwest Oklahoma Blogging Coalition… Jay started it with a post about his favorite restaurants, and Lou piled on. I dropped comments in both places about how it would be well nigh impossible for me to name my favorite restaurants… due mainly to the fact that I’ve been a transient my entire life. After a while all those wonderful restaurants just seem to run together, memory fades, and few (none, actually) notes were taken. I suppose I could have saved all those expense reports from my business travels after the Air Force, but that would only account for perhaps 25% of my lifetime eating-out experiences. And that’s assuming I would have been anal enough to actually save those things. Ha. My record-retention policy is basically “toss it” if something/anything doesn’t meet IRS record retention requirements. And toss-‘em I did…
That said, I did remember The Second Mrs. Pennington saved a few odds and ends from our 1991 trip to Beijing and Tokyo (more about which, here, conveniently labeled for your reading pleasure. But no photos as yet.), which included some memorable restaurants and great good times with three of The Second Mrs. Pennington’s host families from her Rotary Exchange student days. One such event was Christmas Dinner at a wonderful Japanese restaurant that specialized in European cuisine (French and Italian, predominately). I could have sworn TSMP saved the menu from that night, but I can’t find it. The food was outstanding, as I recall, but the company was the best part. Here are a couple of shots from that night… TSMP’s host father is the one in the light suit with the blue tie, and that’s his wife to his left, and his business partner and wife to his right. The blond-of-many-hair-do’s at the end of the table is another Rotary Exchange student who was staying with TSMP’s host family. She was quite taken with herself, and for moderately good reason, too. She is most definitely a “looker,” but she had yet to learn that looks aren’t everything…
The third picture in this series (TSMP and I) was taken towards the end of the evening and you might be able to tell I was feeling little or no pain, Gentle Reader. This is the result of LOTS of wine with our meal, and lots of beer before and after. A great good time was had by ALL… not the least YrHmblScrb. Note that TSMP doesn’t appear the worse for wear… she had an image to uphold.
These next two pics were taken at a small restaurant near Mount Fuji, in some name-unrecalled small town...which is better described as a village. That’s TSMP and her host father at our table, where we cooked our shabu-shabu. The restaurant we ate in was supposedly famous throughout Japan for both it’s ambience and the quality of the food…which the Japanese can be fanatics about. If you chased the link, you’ll note shabu-shabu is a traditional Japanese winter dish, and it was most certainly winter outside…as you can see from the way we’re dressed. While the day might have been cold, the company certainly wasn’t…and the food was delicious!
The next picture is TSMP and I in a Tokyo sushi bar. We were living in Deetroit at the time, and while Detroit has some very good sushi restaurants, there ain’t nothin’ like the real thing. TSMP and I indulged our passion for sushi at numerable sushi bars during our brief stop-over in Tokyo on the way home. This is but one…
The final three pics illustrate that airline food wasn’t all that bad, once upon a time. This is the menu one received in Northwest Airlines business class back in December of 1991. And the food tasted every bit as good as it reads on the menu. I haven’t flown biz-class in quite some time, but I’d hazard a guess that corners have been cut there, as well as in cattle-car class.
But the best thing about traveling in Biz-Class, back in the day? Free drinks. Up to the point they cut you off, that is. While I never had that particular experience, being the mellow sort of drunk I am, suffice to say I could have been poured off the plane when we reached our destination.
As always...click the pics for the larger versions.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, that blonde is outstanding and a quick change artist with her hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the blond. Which way did she arrive for the evening: hair up or down?

    I cannot vouch for overseas flights, but the last time I flew somewhere (which was two years ago Albuquerque to Atlanta) there was very little food. If I remember correctly, it was a choice of peanuts, cookie, or granola bar, and that was it besides a coke. That was coach. Last time I flew first class was a month before 9/11 and then you still got a choice of 2 meals (Delta Airlines. I don't fly anything else. Actually, I really don't fly much at all anymore. Too many kids...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hair change is amazing. Vanity. The pictures are great Buck. I really enjoy your stories and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fave eatery: Bin 228 in Hartford, CT. The Hubby and I go there about every 4-6 weeks - we have a "regular" table and yes, they know our names.

    It's a wine bar and panini grill - which is a vast understatement about what they really are. Tuscan influenced uber-gourmet food. Their wine list is 2 times longer than the menu. Fantastic salads, gourmet cheese platters, 6 different kinds of bruchetta. About 10 different panini's with the very best in Italian meats. They have a signature rissotto that makes me cry. Desserts list is short but heavenly - molten chocolate cake and nutella panino are faves.

    Wine fave here: Le Volte. It's a Super Tuscan that is very hard to get, but so amazing.

    OK...I'm hungry now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've really enjoyed your posts lately Buck, sure glad you bought that scanner :)
    I remember some great meals on first class flights.... pre-kids when I upgraded with my countless frequent flier miles. I remember a particularly tasty steak, real silverware and a real steak knife.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The post was good reading, and the photo's were great today, I enjoyed. oh, and I finally read your profile today, I see you have 3 boys :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mushy sez: Wow, that blonde is outstanding and a quick change artist with her hair!

    Yeah...sort of your average air-headed 17 year old...

    Jenny sez: I agree about the blond. Which way did she arrive for the evening: hair up or down?

    I cannot vouch for overseas flights, but the last time I flew somewhere (which was two years ago Albuquerque to Atlanta) there was very little food.


    She arrived with it up. IIRC she got up from her seat during the appetizer course, went to the Ladies Room and stayed for about 15 minutes. TSMP was getting ready to go check on her when she returned, with fresh make-up and her hair down.

    I hear ya about the food... or the lack of same. Same story the last time I flew... frickin' granola bars. I KNOW where to get horse-feed should I want it, and an airplane ain't the place.

    Ashley sez: The hair change is amazing. Vanity. The pictures are great Buck. I really enjoy your stories and pictures.

    Thanks for the kind words yet again, Ash!

    Kris sez: Fave eatery: Bin 228 in Hartford, CT. The Hubby and I go there about every 4-6 weeks - we have a "regular" table and yes, they know our names.

    Ah... the pleasures of being in one place for an extended time! And you sure know your Italian, Kris!

    TripleE sez: I've really enjoyed your posts lately Buck, sure glad you bought that scanner :)
    I remember some great meals on first class flights.... pre-kids when I upgraded with my countless frequent flier miles. I remember a particularly tasty steak, real silverware and a real steak knife.


    Thank you, Ma'am! I should have mentioned the real silverware in my post. It's a small thing, but a small thing you notice, and it makes a huge difference in the quality of the dining experience. I used to burn my frequent-flier miles in the same way... for those looong flights!

    Dawn sez: The post was good reading, and the photo's were great today, I enjoyed. oh, and I finally read your profile today, I see you have 3 boys :)

    And thank you, Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was the pic of you and TSMP that caught my eye. Usually if the girl's arm is around the guy, she is holding him up. I love the stories and pics from your past.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "she had yet to learn that looks aren’t everything…"

    Personally, I'd be curious to know if she ever did. In my experience, once they get that attitude, the world is hard pressed to change it. Sad fact is, often, they are enough. At least enough not to encourage any rapid change in that attitude.

    Find one with looks who considers them just a lucky happenstance and not the centerpiece of her fate and personality and she's a keeper. Better yet, find one who considers them a curse, and you've found one worth the effort of pursuing.

    Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.