Monday, February 04, 2008

Just Not Feelin' It...

We all have days like this, I suppose. But, as my post title states: “I’m just not feelin’ it” today. In spades. But…like all things… “this, too, shall pass.”

That said, I did come across an editorial in today’s WSJ I want to quote and link. First, the excerpts:

We believe that the nomination of John McCain is the best option to preserve the ongoing restoration of constitutional government. He is by far the most electable Republican candidate remaining in the race, and based on his record is as likely to appoint judges committed to constitutionalism as Mitt Romney, a candidate for whom we also have great respect.

We make no apology for suggesting that electability must be a prime consideration. The expected value of any presidential candidate for the future of the American judiciary must be discounted by the probability that the candidate will not prevail in the election. For other kinds of issues, it may be argued that it is better to lose with the perfect candidate than to win with an imperfect one. The party lives to fight another day and can reverse the bad policies of an intervening presidency.

The judiciary is different. On Jan. 20, 2009, six of the nine Supreme Court justices will be over 70. Most of them could be replaced by the next president, particularly if he or she is re-elected. Given the prospect of accelerating gains in modern medical technology, some of the new justices may serve for half a century. Even if a more perfect candidate were somehow elected in 2012, he would not be able to undo the damage, especially to the Supreme Court.

{…}

Conservative complaints about Mr. McCain's role as a member of the Gang of 14 seem to encapsulate all that is wrong in general with conservative carping over his candidacy. It makes the perfect the enemy of the very good results that have been achieved, thanks in no small part to Mr. McCain, and to the very likely prospect of further good results that might come from his election as president.

Emphasis mine. Most of this you may remember, Gentle Reader, was exactly what I was on about here. And despite the fact “the perfect vs. the good” has become something of a 21st century cliché…the sentiment is so very apt when it comes to the GOP nomination. But we’ll see what we see tomorrow, eh?

In the meantime…read the whole thing editorial, as it’s said. One editorial probably won’t convince die-hard conservatives, but then again…there’s absolutely no harm in trying.

Update 2/04/2008 1900 hrs: Very few bloggers had weighed in on this editorial when I put this post up this afternoon. That's changed now. But of all the folks weighing-in on this subject, no one... and I mean NO ONE... says it better than Gerard. He hit the ball out of the gawdamned park. Just an excerpt or two:

Still, it is instructive to follow the heft of the arguments that shore up the ruins of the Republican party. These seem mostly to stem from McCain's real or imagined positions on "The Big 3 Issues" -- abortion, immigration, homosexuality -- plus -- just for fun -- some sort of running around outside his marriage a decade or more back. The latter is often thrown in because it just wouldn't be politics as usual without some mud in the mix.

Why the blow-up on the Right. It's not really about McCain. The conservative rage to my mind is powered not by the actual prospect of McCain candidacy itself. The looming reality of McCain's nomination brings a deeper failure into focus. That knowledge is powered by the unconscious awareness that, on "The Big 3 Issues", the culture war is over. And the conservatives have lost. Reaction? Consume your own.

Here's the news on "The Big 3 Issues:"

{...}

Reversing Illegal Immigration: Done deal #3. I know that, like visions of sugarplums, visions of some sort of "fence" protecting America from the hordes of marching Mexicans dance in the heads of Americans who just want them all to turn around and march back. But, alas, that too joins the previous two issues in the category, "It Ain't Gonna Happen."

I know, believe me, all the designs for a kinder and gentler fence that will have hi-tech detectors and some sort of ready interdiction corps sitting on helicopter scramble pads across the southern border. I know all the arguments for expanding the ever-so-effective techniques used to stop the flow of illegal drugs to stop the flow of illegal aliens. None of these will prove any more effective than "The War on Some Drugs" we've be squandering billions on over the decades.

What would work would be some sort of East German wall 1,969 miles long. This monstrosity would have guard towers, mine fields, attack Dobermans, armored cars, and about 100,000 armed border guards with a shoot on sight policy (3 shifts of 17 guards per mile). After around 500 Mexican civilians were shot dead, this might have some effect on reducing the flow. I'm not quite ready for this draconian a solution. Are you?

Then there is the extended policy of finding those illegals here and, well, just deporting them. Another 25-watt idea.

Okay, let's follow that one home with the vision of hundreds of buses chock full of thousands of illegals (rounded up in armed swoops through the US barrios) departing daily for Tijuana and all points south. The first problem is finding and then imprisoning the illegals. That would mean raids into homes and apartment buildings around the country as well as stop and frisk identity checks on the street for "looking Mexican." Then you'll have to refurbish those Japanese internment camps in the Owens valley and elsewhere as holding pens. Think the Manzanar Concentration Camp to the 10th power on the outskirts of every major city. You start opening those up and armed Mexicans are going to be the least of your problems.

And there's much, much more... you'll note I began the excerpt with Done Deal Number Three. Two items precede that one, and the analysis is spot-on. Forget that WSJ editorial if you're pressed for time. Just go read Gerard. And then come back and tell me how you're gonna stay home, or vote for some third-party candidate with less than the proverbial snow ball's chance in Hell. I particularly like Gerard's close. If that don't raise the hair on the back of your neck, well...you're pretty much a lost cause. Or a Democrat.

P.S.: Read Rachel Lucas, too. Oh my, yes. Please do.

P.P.S.: Eugene Volokh is on-board, too.

13 comments:

  1. I'm beginning to become content, at least as much as possible given the world situation, to vote against someone come November.

    I'd prefer Romney was the candidate - for reasons I can't quite articulate. I plain ole don't like McCain. But the choice of running mate this year will be critical to either.

    I'll vote come November - I'd vote tomorrow but I'm not a registered Republican. But I'll vote in November - I may not like it, but I'll do it.

    Anything to keep either Democratic candidate out of office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is it in New Mexico that the Demo'rats can vote tomorrow, but the rest of us have to wait til June!? I'm a bit upset about this. When we finally get to vote, it will pretty much be decided for us.

    On the other hand, I wouldn't know by tomorrow who I would be voting for. Since, as you say, this space is still for sale, now that my Fred is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kris sez: Anything to keep either Democratic candidate out of office.

    YES! YES...YES...YES!!

    That's THE WHOLE POINT! (Am I being emphatic enough?) ;-)

    Jenny: I feel your pain. It's the very same story in Texas, where I (still) vote. Have you noticed we (as New Mexicans) are getting bombarded with Huckabee ads this past week?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you're not feeling it, Sergeant.

    I think the Huckabee and (at least here in the {even} big{ger} city) Romney ads are a mistake by their campaigns thinking New Mexico is part of Super Tuesday rather than just a Democrat caucus. A big expensive mistake, that.

    "Perfect as enemy of good" is just fine as a cliche. We are nearly crippled where I work for so much unreasonable aversion to the slightest danger. BTW, operation snowflake is in effect around here. DANGER DANGER! Must drive 5 mph lest my wheels slip a little!

    Bill Quick wrote a good ten-point essay about Senator McCain a couple days ago. It'll be really hard for me to vote for Cactus John. How about the theory that as long as a neo-liberal is going to be president, he should be a Democrat so the Democrats get the blame a-la President Carter?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, no I haven't. I rarely watch local channels because we can't get them on the satellite. I have an antenea on top of the house, but you gotta turn the sat. off, then remember what the stations are over there for Abq. and for Amarillo (a couple years ago, they changed them ALL! I can't find anything anymore!!). So, I gave up watching locals. I haven't even watched American Idol this year.

    Hehe, and Disney Channel doesn't have commercials, so I'm safe there, too. LOL!

    I may have to watch a little bit tomorrow night, though. After we come back from town for basketball practice and the grocery store. I wonder who will win for the dems: Obama or Yo'Mama. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy, Reese has a point! Why are they spending all that money on New Mexico ads when we (New Mexico Republicans) don't vote for 5 more months? HUGE waste of money! Are there many McCain ads as well? If not, that may give a clue as to who pays attention to what's going on in the world (ie. Huckabee/Romney are clueless and like to spend money needlessly).

    Just a theory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny sez: I wonder who will win for the dems: Obama or Yo'Mama. LOL!

    That is just PRICELESS, Jenny! Thanks for that! I'm sitting here grinning from ear to ear and laughing right out loud. I hope no one comes to my door before I calm down....coz they'll think a gen-u-wine crazy person lives here.

    Reese: I've been reading Bill Quick off and on ever since I quoted him a while back as being one of the foremost of the McCain bashers in the right-o-sphere. But the guy that really worries me is Limbaugh, and he's worrying other Republicans, too. Rather prominent ones, at that. It'll be interesting to see what happens on that count!

    You be careful on the road tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenny sez: If not, that may give a clue as to who pays attention to what's going on in the world (ie. Huckabee/Romney are clueless and like to spend money needlessly).

    Just a theory.


    A good theory it is. I like it. And since Romney is the only one out either that has any money to speak of, what does that say about Huckabee? I will say this about Huckabee, though: The man is extremely well-spoken, very quick on his feet, and scored the most points of all the candidates in any of the debates I've watched to date. Too bad I don't care for most of his policy ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "You be careful on the road tomorrow morning!"

    Will do. Thanks.

    Quick and Limbaugh are convincing. I'm with 'em. I haven't read the link you provided yet, but he who worries me is McCain.

    Miss Jenny, I haven't heard any McCain ads. Rep. Steve Pearce yes, though. No on Rep. Heather Wilson. (For those who don't know, these are the prominent R candidates for Senator Domenici's soon to be vacated seat.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I quit listening to anything Limbaugh had to say when I left the land of little black helicopters.

    My dilemma today will be to decide between Huckabee, whom I really like, and McCain, whom I think has a possibility of beating the Dems. I want to vote for Mike just because I want to voice my true conservative opinion, but is it worth it? And yet, I want to vote for McCain because I think he is the man and if for no other reason to show Limbaugh what I think of him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going with McCain because I truly believe he is the only electable Republican...and I think everyone knows we can't stand a Dem in the White House right now...or ever?

    My $.02...

    SN1

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lou sez: My dilemma today will be to decide between Huckabee, whom I really like, and McCain, whom I think has a possibility of beating the Dems.

    That IS a dilemma, Lou. I'm glad I'm not in your shoes on the one hand, but sorta wish I were, on the other. Because, as Jenny noted, by the time we Texans (and NM GOP'ers) get to vote the issue will more than likely be decided. I hate that.

    Reese: Out of curiosity, have you made up your mind between Pearce and Wilson? I really like Heather... what with her being an AFA alumna, and all. The point is moot, though, since I'm still a Texan.

    Buck: I agree with your rationale, in spades. Assuming you didn't notice, LOL!

    I think we have a chance with McCain, much less so with the others. And the Dems can have the White House somewhere around 2024, or so. We should be well on our way to winning the Long War by that time. Or, if not...what difference would a Donk make then, anyway? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't made up my mind on Pearce vs. Wilson. Like many with McCain, I think Wilson is more electable, for many of the same reasons-- her appeal with "squishies" for one. She's always with the rhetoric about "our children" and how this program or that will help them.

    Pearce is clear on what he thinks the senate seat should be, pretty small-L liberal i.e. pro-freedom Republican/conservative and in a non-religious way. He may be "electable" with a strong showing from points south and east in New Mexico. But this being a statewide election, the hippies (no offense) up north will never go for him.

    Rep. Tom Udall (D of third district) has no serious opposition that I know of (yet), Mayor (of ABQ) Chavez having squandered his goodwill with red light cameras and other unpopular pushy stuff has dropped his bid. Lt. Governor Dianne Denish? Governor Richardson, erstwhile presidential campaigner? (Richardson's probably waiting out the US VP possibilities). The actual primary is in June, so these questions I understand won't be resolved until then.

    I think there's a really good chance that Domenici's seat will switch parties. But I don't follow this stuff much, especially on the D side.

    Sent also by e-mail, in case you don't read this far into your comments.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.