Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Super Fat Tuesday? Fat Super Tuesday?

So. It might could be a long night tonite. I might have to take a nap this afternoon just so I can stay awake and catch all the reek surrounding Super-Duper Tuesday. Does anyone else besides me think it’s sorta ironic the largest collection of state primaries, ever, is happening on Mardi Gras? It’s probably a great good thing Louisiana isn’t voting

―:☺:―

Speaking of Fat Tuesday… This is interesting. To some folks anyway, including YrHmblScrb. Do a google image search on “Mardi Gras,” with “safe search” off. There’s not as much silicone as you’d think, but there is some. Titillating, it is.

Dang. I wish I were in N’Awlins today, but tonight would be even better.

―:☺:―

So. Major crescendo today from the McCain Derangement Syndrome folks, beginning with that Illustrious Spokesperson of the Right, Mr. Limbaugh. From Michael Goldfarb, writing at The Weekly Standard:

Over the past few weeks, Rush Limbaugh has emerged as the conservative movement's most prominent casualty of McCain Derangement Syndrome. Yesterday his condition deteriorated further:

On Mr. Limbaugh's program today, he said people should not be rushing to back Mr. McCain over issues of national security. The talk host said America's direction in Iraq would not be substantially different, even if Mrs. Clinton or Mr. Obama were elected. "They are not going to surrender the country to Islamic radicalism or the war in Iraq," Mr. Limbaugh said after mentioning the two Democratic senators by name. "They are not going to do that to themselves, despite what their base says."

"The idea that we've only got one person in this whole roster of candidates, either party, who is willing to take on the war on terror is frankly, absurd," Mr. Limbaugh said.

Unfortunately, Limbaugh's personal animus towards the Senator from Arizona seems to be blinding him to the fundamental issue--that this election, first and foremost, is about America's national security. How else to explain this flailing effort to persuade primary voters not to worry so much about what are, in fact, very real and profound difference between the candidates--differences not over how to prosecute this war, but whether to prosecute it at all.

{…}

I understand that some conservatives are uneasy about a McCain nomination, that he isn't their first choice to carry the party's standard. But there's something truly unhinged--and at times spectacularly disgraceful--about the response of some on the right to this increasingly likely prospect.

Ummm… yeah. All that, and a bag o’ chips. I’ve noticed lots and lots of normally rational people are taking leave of their senses where McCain is concerned. But then again, if Ron Paul were in the same position as McCain (i.e., the front-runner) going into today’s primaries, I’d be apoplectic. But he’s not, and I’m not. What I am is confused (very) at all this “eat your own” stuff. I have the same sort of feelings about our side as I had about the ‘bats when they went nuts about Joe Lieberman late last summer and on into early Fall.

It’s not a good feeling, Gentle Reader.

―:☺:―

So…this video is Number Two on the viral vids list today. Way-cool.

In a not-so-amazing coincidence, last night’s American Experience (on PBS, here) was all about Grand Central Station. Wonderful show, that was, and the gallery at the link has some great photos of this American architectural icon. Rumor has it you’ll be able to watch the show on-line sometime later this month. Or, you can catch it in re-runs. PBS does that a lot, and that’s not a bad thing.

I was 13 years old the first time I set foot in Grand Central. I exasperated the living Hell out of my Mom, who was trying to drag me and my sister to a specific platform to board our train that was set to leave for Atlanta within about 20 minutes or so. But, no… I had to drag my feet, just staring at the wonder of it all. I had never, ever been in an enclosed space that large in my life and have been in danged few others as large, since. Stadiums and domes excluded, of course.

12 comments:

  1. I watched the Grand Central show last night, also. Very interesting story, although I was hoping they might have shown a bit more of the various levels within the station, rather than focusing so much upon the main lobby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart The Big Easy...BUT, i go there for the food...i, personally, would NOT want to be around there today/tonight. The French Quarter already reeks of 400years of stale beer pee...i can't imagine what it looks and smells like tomorrow morning. EEEEEYUUUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, now I see what the concern was about my own case of MCDS. Well fear not, I did consider the words of the Maha-Rushie and I did reject them this morning.

    I can't speak for your own life-experiences, Buck, but in my own observations I've seen many a bad idea hang around like a smell, never being dismissed, for lack of ever being taken 100% seriously. Also, I see when bad ideas are taken 100% seriously they tend to burst like balloons.

    And you know, so many of the ideas on The Left, lately, strike me as having this kind of flavoring -- they're going to hang around until they're taken 100% seriously, at which time they'll collapse under their own weight. They represent the kind of idea that you can show how silly it is, just by saying it out loud.

    BUSH...HAS FAILED...TO CATCH...OSAMA BIN LADEN...AND SO...TO CATCH OSAMA BIN LADEN...WE ARE GOING...TO PROVIDE EVERYONE...WITH FREE HEALTH CARE...BOY OH BOY THAT OUGHTA DO IT.

    I'm sure a committed donk will say I'm mischaracterizing the donk position there rather atrociously. But am I really? Is there some alternative interpretation that reflects the philosphy any more accurately than my parody above? Because I don't see one.

    I say, let's go ahead and try it, and fully admit that's what we're doing. Put the kiddies in charge. Because let's face it -- even mild conservatism isn't terribly appealing, until the alternative has been doing its damage for awhile. And then we wonder why we ever waivered from it. (Examples: 1952; 1968; 1980; 1994.) It's a cyclical process. If Mac is the best we can do, that's a sign of where we are in the cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a cool video. Having visited GCS while in NY last December, I loved the video and your story.

    About 27 years ago, Toby arrived in NO on the last evening of Mardi Gras for a business meeting. The next morning, he said there were piles of garbage over his head in the streets being scooped up and moved with a front-end loader. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim: Agreed on the focus of the show. I think it might be hard to shoot the lower levels, though... light, the lack of it, and all that.

    Jay (and Lou): Every city has a huge clean-up task after a party the size of Mardi Gras. I would think Rio would be pretty much the same. I'd like to be there tonight, too!

    Morgan sez:If Mac is the best we can do, that's a sign of where we are in the cycle.

    OTOH, This could be less of a cycle and more like a sea change. I sorta like how Moran thinks:

    Could such a shift be happening again? Unless you want to believe that millions of primary voters who will cast their ballot for John McCain tomorrow are idiots and don’t pay attention to what’s going on, you must accept that there has been a fundamental shift in the balance of power in the Republican party away from the old Reagan coalition and toward a still forming mass of more centrist, less doctrinaire conservatives.

    That would be me he's on about: more centrist, less doctrinaire. YMMV, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  6. " truly unhinged--and at times spectacularly disgraceful-- "

    Hmm. Since I totally reject a McCain candidacy and presidency, I guess the above describes me.

    I will wear it as a badge of honor. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find the Conservative Republican animosity toward McCain to be FASCINATING. It's obvious to me why so many find him appealing: most of the country (like it or not) really is moderate. I voted for Hillary in California's primary weeks ago (by absentee ballot), but even I can live with McCain if he's elected.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sharon sez: I will wear it as a badge of honor. ;)

    Aiiieee. Sharon! After all my pushing, prodding, linking, pleading (well, maybe not pleading), and examples of rational thought from various pundits and now...this? ;-)

    {sigh} I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree, and all that.

    Lori: Your vote and your fascination don't surprise me all that much. Your statement about McCain did raise my eyebrows a millimeter or two. Forgive me, but you happen to be one of the most strident Bush/Cheney opponents I know, personally. I take your acceptance of McCain as good news. Others, less moderate than I, will go "SEE!!! We TOLD you! Hell... Hand-basket..."

    Perhaps we're on the cusp of an American political Golden Age? Ya know, when the Washington logjam gets broken and the pols actually gets stuff... meaningful, relevant stuff, acceptable on both sides of the aisle... done?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm darn near close to Mr. Readerless Blogger there with the car that could've driven to the moon and darn close to the way back.

    If that's derangement, a-la moonbattery, then I will howl and squeak and bark and whatever. Quietly, though, in my room here.

    I'm not rich, but I want that everyone, worldwide, could aspire to my wealth.

    Hey, Bud Shootout this weekend. NASCAR starts anew. Preseason Packers just six months away. AAA baseball just down the road. Ooh! A squirrel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. > I take your acceptance of McCain as good news.

    I've always kinda liked McCain, and I've definitely always respected him. Maybe it's the military connection ... dunno. However, my partner Mary and I were watching the returns earlier (it's 9:14 in CA right now), and we both -- who voted for Hillary this time around -- feel like the election of Clinton, Obama, OR McCain would be fine. A win-win, if you will, at least for us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have not listened to any of the conservative talk show people who are so against McCain, so I don’t know what their beef is. I did watch a video of Bob Dole on Hannity and Holmes concerning his email to Limbaugh. Dole said that McCain’s voting record was actually more conservative than his own. He said good things about all the Rep candidates, but he really took up for McCain as a true conservative. It is worth the view.

    Lori’s view on McCain is exactly what I thought – McCain could pull in some Dem. voters. Then I heard that Focus on the Family’s Dobson was saying that “morally” he could not vote for McCain. I’m not sure what his reasons are, but he could really hurt the Republican Party. You would think a smart, reasonable man like Dobson would be thinking more about the future of our Supreme Court, which is much more important than his personal feelings about McCain.

    As Buck has pointed out several times, our next President has real power to shape the future of our country with his nominations toward the Supreme Court. This is a MAJOR concern for any conservatives. If you want Hillary or Obama to have that power, stay home. Since I have not heard any real arguments against McCain other than whining and “I just don’t like him” and I have lots of arguments against the Dem candidates, I say, “Get over it and get with the program!” The future of our country is more important than petty dislikes.

    I would still like to hear any legit arguements against McCain - at least arguements important enough to give the election to the Democrats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lori sez: ...and we both -- who voted for Hillary this time around -- feel like the election of Clinton, Obama, OR McCain would be fine. A win-win, if you will, at least for us.

    Which is fine for all y'all. I can live with McCain; I would have preferred that cross-dressing former mayor of NYC. Of the other two, Hillary is the one I fear less, but "less" is only a matter of degree. There's the Supremes to consider, and Hillary's nominees will take the country in a direction I don't want to go. And that direction will last the rest of my natural life and beyond. But the over-riding, most immediate issue is The War, and Hillary has telegraphed a more reasonable position than that "other guy." She wouldn't be McCain, but she's better than Obama.

    Speaking of...I'm sorely tempted to reprise your 2004 Greatest Hit, i.e., "I'm gonna move to Canada if Bush wins," changing only one word. I'm certainly glad to hear you voted for Hillary. I think Obama people are fundamentally brain-dead, or tend to read "Us" and "People" rather than "The Nation" or "TNR." There's NO substance to Obama that I can see, only charisma and hubris. I'm not saying Obama is dumb, far from it. He knows how to play his portion of the electorate.

    Lou: Well said. We're on exactly the same page. The arguments against McCain all seem to revolve around McCain-Feingold, his immgration position, and that Gang of 14 crap. In each and every case I feel McCain was acting on his conscience and attempted to forge workable compromises... which I thought was what politics is all about. The "no surrender" right-wing fringe consider his actions traitorous. Truth is probably somewhere in between.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.