Sunday, December 02, 2007

Left or Right?

From The D-Ring, via Mike (if the image isn't spinning, do the click-for-larger thing):

The Right Brain vs Left Brain test … do you see the dancer turning clockwise or counter-clockwise?

If clockwise, then you use more of the right side of the brain and vice versa.

Most of people see the dancer turning counter-clockwise though you can try to focus and change the direction; see if you can do it.

LEFT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses logic
detail oriented
facts rule
words and language
present and past
math and science
can comprehend
knowing
acknowledges
order/pattern perception
knows object name
reality based
forms strategies
practical
safe

RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses feeling
“big picture” oriented
imagination rules
symbols and images
present and future
philosophy & religion
can “get it” (i.e. meaning)
believes
appreciates
spatial perception
knows object function
fantasy based
presents possibilities
impetuous
risk taking

Well, now. I absolutely, positively could not get the dancer to twirl counter-clockwise. Which, of course, leaves me wondering “what does this mean?” Am I that much of a right-brained sorta guy? It’s very apparent to me which sort of person I am, simply by looking at the list of qualities associated with each type. And that is something of a paradox yet again, since I was pretty danged successful in my post-USAF field (the IT biz), which just might be the ultimate “left brain” sort of environment. Ah, but then again…I was a writer-cum-manager, not a techie. And we all know about “management,” nu?

10 comments:

  1. Weird. If you focus on her standing leg and tell yourself it's her left leg, she turns one way; if you tell yourself it's her right leg, she changes direction. Unless it's a trick photo and it really does change direction!
    Bec

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple. She's turning clockwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I really concentrated, I could make her turn counter-clockwise, but as soon as I relaxed, she switched right back to clockwise. I always knew I was more right brained, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can make her go both ways (which I am clearly not inclined to myself BTW). I am working on this theory about degree of left or right brain dominance and political leanings. Give that one some thought - you'll probably be amused by the possibilities as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I go both ways as well...STS!

    I could actually make her go either way at will...what does that mean?

    SN1

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you folks are a lot better at this than I am. After much trying she's still turning clockwise. Like SN1 sez..."What does that mean?" In a completely different context, of course.

    Lin: You need to go look at bolg buddy Morgan's "Yin and Yang" series. He's given a LOT of thought to this very subject. Based upon everything I read, I should probably be a Lefty. And I was, in the waaay-back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's really turning super-clockwise.

    Which would make this one of very few tests finding me to be "right brain," so I would have to say it didn't work.

    Buck, did you get that Excel macro to work after I fixed it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also only got it to turn clockwise... and to echo my father's comments; I'm a career Engineer for the Navy. I can talk (and often do) for days about all aspects of naval engineering.

    But I do love music, play several instruments and I'm currently being forced to think "very big" picture while working here in Omaha...

    Dunno what any of it means. Not sure it really matters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I told Jesse just now that the dancer makes me think of the political candidates right now - they turn one way and you like them, another way and they're all wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morgan sez: Buck, did you get that Excel macro to work after I fixed it?

    Embarrassment time. I read your note about fixing the macro then promptly forgot about it. I'll have to back-track and try it again.

    Sam sez: Dunno what any of it means. Not sure it really matters.

    It really doesn't matter at all...just interesting to play with.

    Bec: LOL! But what of us folks who can't get them to turn the other way? A common problem in politics, nu?

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.