Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Kerryism

Lord, please stop me before I blog about Kerry again. But wait! This is less about Kerry than about Kerryism, a new term coined by the inimitable Victor Davis Hanson. Here’s the closing graf from VDH’s essay (on The Corner, at NRO):

The Democrats should use this occasion to have an autopsy of Kerryism, or this strange new tony liberalism, that has turned noblisse oblige on its head. It used to be that millionaire FDRs and JFKs felt sympathy for those of the lower classes and wished to ensure that the hoi polloi had some shot at the American dream. But today's elite liberals-a Howard Dean, Al Gore, Ted Kennedy, George Soros, Ted Turner-love the high life and playact at being leftists simply because they are already insulated from the effects of their own nostrums that always come at someone poorer's expense while providing them some sort of psychological relief from guilt. Poor Harry Truman must be turning over in his grave-from bourbon, cigars, and poker to wind-surfing and L.L. Bean costume of the day says it all.

Ya know, the Dems could do a lot worse than emulating Harry Truman, or trying to emulate him. As a matter of fact, they have done a helluva lot worse, ever since Bubba left office. And Bubba was no role model. Read the whole Hanson piece.

3 comments:

  1. In the early 70's my dad taught me my first politcal lesson. We were driving along when Dad came upon a small economy car with a Republican bumper sticker. My dad flew into a rage, ranting at the driver of the other car - Repulicans were suppose to drive nice fancy cars. Dems were suppose to drive working class, economy cars. I remember Dad saying, "Who does he think he is?" For a long time, I thought Republicans were rich and Dems were poor. Dad was a serious yellow dog Democrat. He was also a big Harry Truman fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I always heard "damned dirty democrats" growing up. I thought all democrats were....dirty ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't begin to tell you what my Dad said about Democrats. Not on a PG-13 blog, anyway! :-)

    I thoroughly exasperated the Ol' Man when I went through my "liberal" period, which lasted about 15 years. Fortunately, he lived to see me come around. But he never let me live it down.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.